Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 27, 2014 at 11:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Draft Prospects....  (Read 2715 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #20 on: Feb 28, 2012 at 13:35 »

If Hightower and Poe are both on the board, who do you take?  I guess it depends on what you'd expect to be available later.  If they're evaluated to be equal values then I'm thinking you have to pick the NT.  Otherwise, take the BAA of the two.

The AFCN blogger says Poe won't be there.
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2012 at 13:38 by jonzr » Logged

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2012 at 15:39 »

Honestly, not sure.

I'd probably err on the conservative side and go with the more polished football player in Hightower; especially considering the amount of "quality" DTs in the draft.  That's not a no brainer, tho.  It's easy to get all 89% for a guy that wins the combine at his position, but it does also make you wonder why he wasn't considered an elite prospect coming in.

To be completely honest, after watching his combine drills and seeing a few videos of him in action, despite his monstruous size, he struck me as more of a 4-3 DT than a 3-4 DT.  Can't really say exactly why.  Maybe it's just that he looked so...athletic for a guy his size.  He was as fast and fluid as guys that weighed 50-70 pounds less.  I guess I've still got it in my head that a 3-4 DT is meant to be a clogging boulder (kinda like Ta'amu) in the middle, but players are just evolving so quickly.  I mean, there were several DTs that broke the 5.0 barrier.  That was unheard of several years ago.  Nowadays, not so much.  Bigger.  Stronger.  Faster.  *6 Million Dollar Man theme*

I dunno.  I'm just starting to pay a little attention to this stuff.  Haven't even looked at other positions yet.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2012 at 15:48 »

Also, from the articles I've read, Burfict is absolutely tanking at the combine, on and especially off the turf.

DND.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2012 at 15:48 »

Oh, and it would not surprise me if Poe went top 15 now, as in, R1 + R2 to get him ~1.14?

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Feb 29, 2012 at 10:14 »

Oh, and it would not surprise me if Poe went top 15 now, as in, R1 + R2 to get him ~1.14?

Really?  You'd give up a R1 and R2 to draft him?

Yeah, the dude's a physical freak and all, but I'm very leery of doing that for a workout warrior.  I really like what I see from him, but damn, they have so many holes to fill.  Read something last night about him going top 10, possibly to the Panthers.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Feb 29, 2012 at 10:57 »

Really?  You'd give up a R1 and R2 to draft him?

Yeah, the dude's a physical freak and all, but I'm very leery of doing that for a workout warrior.  I really like what I see from him, but damn, they have so many holes to fill.  Read something last night about him going top 10, possibly to the Panthers.

No, no way I give up all that, and in fact I'm re-thinking how much of a surge he gets off Indy.  We have too many holes to fill, so if Poe is gone, so be it.  Great upside, but he doesn't fit the Steelers R1 paradigm except in age/malleability:  they don't like guys without more proven on tape.  Still, if he's there at 1.24, I say go.  Poe and, say, ILB Wagner or one of the OG/OT types would be a nice start to things.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #26 on: Feb 29, 2012 at 12:59 »

Scouts Inc has Poe listed at the 5th DT so hopefully there's a chance he'll still be there.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: