Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 21, 2014 at 09:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sources: Jagr wants to play for Penguins  (Read 1295 times)
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Jun 20, 2011 at 23:25 »

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_743092.html

By Rob Rossi, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, June 21, 2011

One of Pittsburgh's greatest athletes wants to return.

Jaromir Jagr has approached the Penguins about resuming his hockey career with his original NHL franchise, multiple sources confirmed to the Tribune-Review on Monday.

Jagr's new agent, former player Petr Svoboda, contacted Penguins general manager Ray Shero over the weekend to express his client's intent to play again in the NHL after a three-year stint in the Kontinental Hockey League.

Shero didn't return messages seeking comment about Jagr, who can sign before the July 1 free-agent period opens because his previous contract was not with an NHL club.

Jagr, 39, met with Svoboda yesterday in the Czech Republic to consider preferred NHL suitors, including the Detroit Red Wings -- the Penguins' Stanley Cup Final rival in 2008 and '09.

Jagr has cited Detroit, the New York Rangers, Washington Capitals, Montreal Canadiens and Penguins as NHL teams that piqued his interest.

An NHL source said neither the Canadiens and Capitals is a "mystery" third team that has joined the Red Wings and Penguins as a potential Jagr suitor.

Shero and his staff were open to the idea of signing Jagr, two sources said, but the Penguins were waiting to hear from Jagr before seriously exploring the option.

The Penguins have decided not to publicly comment about any interest in Jagr, who is ninth all-time in NHL scoring with 1,599 points and nearly a point-per-game player in three KHL seasons.

At the world championships in May, Shero extended Jagr an invitation to the Penguins' annual summer golf tournament that will serve as a reunion for alumni of the 1991 Stanley Cup champions. Shero said that invitation was passed along to Jagr by his Czech Republic teammate Zbynek Michalek, a Penguins defenseman.

Jagr has not informed the Penguins if he will attend the tournament, a date for which has not been announced.

Also at the world championships, Jagr reflected fondly on his 11 seasons with the Penguins -- a tenure that began with back-to-back Stanley Cup titles in 1991 and '92, and also included five NHL scoring championships and an MVP award.

Previously one of the most popular athletes in Pittsburgh history, Jagr was booed mercilessly by Penguins fans after the team granted his request for a trade in July 2001. His last NHL contest was at Mellon Arena in May 2008 in Game 5 of a second-round playoff series between his Rangers and the Penguins.

Before the start of that series, Jagr spoke reverently of Mario Lemieux, calling the Penguins majority co-owner "my idol ... and probably the greatest player ever."

Jagr expressed similar thoughts at the world championships and hinted strongly that he wouldn't mind playing with "two great centers" in Pittsburgh - referring to Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.

The Penguins can afford Jagr, who sources said is not seeking an outrageous salary. The salary cap for next season will increase to $64 million from $59.4 million, Canada's TSN reported Sunday.

The Penguins are committed to $55.5 million against the cap for 17 players on guaranteed NHL contracts -- eight forwards, seven defensemen and two goalies.

They do not have a top-six natural right winger under contract, and Tyler Kennedy is an impending restricted free agent with whom Shero said the team is exploring all options - including a possible trade, perhaps at the NHL Entry Draft this weekend.

Shero said last week his intention is "to keep" Kennedy, coming off a career-best 21 goals and 45 points. The Penguins expect Kennedy to command at least double his $725,000 cap hit on a new contract or in an arbitration ruling if they elect to extend a qualifying offer.

There is debate within the organization if Kennedy is a capable of handling top power-play minutes. Jagr would -- potentially becoming the ideal fit along the half-wall where the Penguins believe neither Crosby nor Malkin are an ideal fit on the man-advantage.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2011 at 23:27 »

I'm on board, but only if they fire Ray Shero and bring back Craig Patrick, too.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2011 at 09:17 »

I'd be all for it, I can still see him being a 20-25 goal guy in the right situation and a valuable guy come playoff time. I just can't see it happening with their cap situation (they have about 8 million to fill 7 spots) and Jagr's love for money and gambling. Can't see him signing with the Penguins for what would amount to 10 or so hands of blackjack.

I'll go on record saying I hope I'm wrong, he signs, wins another cup here, and finally gets #68 raised into the rafters.
whitmer_87

« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2011 at 10:54 »

I'm not 100% sold that Jagr can still be an effective NHL player. I had the same feelings about bringing in Kovy. But at the same time, we gave up practically nothing to get Kovy. If we can sign Jagr for relatively cheap, I'd be cool with the experiment. I do recall reading an article somewhere after we were eliminated that said that Bylsma's system isn't one that friendly to older players like Kovy, Jagr, Sykora, Recchi, ect. I'm not sure how true that is, but with the exception of Billy G, I can't think of anyone older player that excelled here.

I like the idea of shopping Kennedy though. If we could bring in someone that way, I'd be in favor of it more so than signing Jagr.

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2011 at 11:27 »

Basic word on the web and twitterverse is the Pens are interested, but they want him on the extremely cheap (less than a mil). Detroit is also interested, and willing to offer more.

I'm ok with having a few guys that don't excel in the system if they can put the puck in the net. We didn't lose to Tampa becasue we lacked grinders who fit the system. He'd have a ton of value on the PP as well.

Kunitz-Sid-Jeffrey or Dupuis
Neal-Malkin-Jagr

Pretty potent top 2 lines.
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2011 at 11:14 »

According to Rossi tweets (FWIW, he's not as reliable as Mckenzie and others) Disco wants him, Shero not so much. So it may come down to what Mario wants.

whitmer_87

« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2011 at 11:49 »

I have a feeling he's going to end up in Detroit. They can offer him more money, and their style is very conducive for older players.

Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2011 at 11:45 »

Looks like Dupuis was resigned at 2 years 3 million. Very team friendly deal and cap hit for what he brings to the table.

Also, apparently Jagr and his agent are meeting with Shero tommorrow and the signing is looking like a real possibility.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2011 at 14:51 »

Heard on the radio (DC area) this afternoon that we offered him a 1 year deal and are waiting to hear back.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 2011 at 09:09 »

Asham resigned last night. pretty good deal 1 year 775,000. That spells the end of Mike Rupp in Pittsburgh as having both is pretty redundant. I'd probably rather have Rupp all things being equal but you really can't beat that value for Asham.

This Jagr saga is turning into drama-horseshit. If he doesn't sign the deal by 11:59, I say (and I'm sure Shero says) fuck him. No sitting on our hands like the whole Hossa situation. I still think they get either one or the other (being kennedy) but if we can swing both:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis/Jeffrey
Neal-Malkin-Jagr
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
Asham-Adams-Dupuis/Jeffery
Letestu

Letang-Orpik
Martin-Michalek
Lovejoy-Engelland
Niskanen/maybe Depres

Fluery
Johnson

That lineup is ready to tear some shit up.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: