Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 01:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Pirates.  (Read 5054 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Jul 27, 2011 at 13:02 »

If you're the catcher, you have to make that tag - no excuse.  It might have been a bad call, but the catcher could have made it a moot point.  I don't think replay would have helped.

Rediculous, jonzr.  No creditable source is suggesting that the tag was not made. 

Fact is, bad things happen to the Pirates in Atlanta, kinda like the Steelers and New England.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #11 on: Jul 27, 2011 at 13:19 »

If you're the catcher, you have to make that tag - no excuse.  It might have been a bad call, but the catcher could have made it a moot point.  I don't think replay would have helped.

Rediculous, jonzr.  No creditable source is suggesting that the tag was not made. 

Fact is, bad things happen to the Pirates in Atlanta, kinda like the Steelers and New England.

When I watch that slowmo replay it looks like he *should have* made the tag but there's no way I can say he actually did.  It's inconclusive.  I guess you could argue that the ump should give him the call, kinda like the 2nd baseman who never actually steps on the bag for a double play, but that's not the same thing.  The catcher has to make it obvious - no benefit of the doubt.

This isn't like the should-a-been-no-hitter last year.  Even in real-time it was obvious that the runner was out at first. 

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jul 27, 2011 at 13:38 »

Not sure what replays you're watching. 

Meals admitted (in that back-handed, Bud Selig-era way) that he tagged him.

Players make plays.  Umps make calls.  Meals and his 19 years of experience need to be sent back to AAA to ride the bus again.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #13 on: Jul 27, 2011 at 14:08 »

On the replay I posted go to the 1:25 mark and it's impossible to say either way.  Same thing at the 1:05 mark from a different angle.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jul 27, 2011 at 15:33 »

On the replay I posted go to the 1:25 mark and it's impossible to say either way.  Same thing at the 1:05 mark from a different angle.

You are the only person I have read, seen, or talked to who thinks the tag was not applied.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
VaBchSteelersfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #15 on: Jul 27, 2011 at 15:39 »

If the Buccos miss the playoff by 1 game after not being contenders for the last 18 years, Meals will become more hated in Pittsburgh than Steve Bartman was in Chicago a few years back.   flipoff

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #16 on: Jul 27, 2011 at 15:42 »

On the replay I posted go to the 1:25 mark and it's impossible to say either way.  Same thing at the 1:05 mark from a different angle.

You are the only person I have read, seen, or talked to who thinks the tag was not applied.

That's not what I said.  In effect, I said that the catcher needs to remove the decision from the ump. And I further stated that a replay would likely not have overturned the call (using NFL rules) because it's inconclusive. I can't say he made the tag and I can't say he didn't.

All blame on the catcher IMO.  Don't make a showy, pretty, sweeping tag, get your fucking nose dirty and tag that bitch forcefully.  Change his path.  Physically intervene.  Hell, bloody his fucking nose - at least then you have some evidence.  "You see ump, you see that blood on the ball? You see that guy with blood pouring out of his nose?  You see the blood on the ground 8 feet away from the plate?"

“I saw the tag, but he looked like he oléd him and I called him safe for that. I looked at the replays and it appeared he might have got him on the shin area. I’m guessing he might have got him, but when I was out there when it happened I didn’t see a tag.  I just saw the glove sweep up. I didn’t see the glove hit his leg.”

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/7/27/2296871/braves-pirates-umpire-jerry-meals

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Jul 27, 2011 at 19:00 »

That's the type of contact that forces Sidney Crosby to miss a season. 
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #18 on: Jul 27, 2011 at 19:15 »

BAM!

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Jul 27, 2011 at 22:22 »

That's funny!  Let's all send back our team Canadia medals.

And jonzr, you're the only one who's argued that the catcher didn't get the tag down.  EOS.
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2011 at 22:26 by pensodyssey » Logged

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: