Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 31, 2014 at 08:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non-Steeler FA signings  (Read 4339 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Jul 28, 2011 at 14:44 »

I always though Rogers-Cromartie was overrated. And I'm his cousin.

--pensodyssey-cromartie

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Jul 28, 2011 at 15:57 »

Quote from: that douche site
Multiple reports have indicated that the Broncos will trade Kyle Orton, most likely to the Dolphins. And yet when the Broncos practiced for the first time today, Orton wasn’t just on the field — he was running the show with the first-string offense, and from all accounts outplaying Tim Tebow, the 2010 first-round draft pick who is supposedly the team’s quarterback of the future.

Mike Klis of the Denver Post reports that Orton looked poised and polished, while Tebow looked slower in finding receivers and less accurate in his passing. Klis writes that not only did Orton look better than Tebow, but Brady Quinn looked better than Tebow, too.

I would have expected Orton to look better running the offense than Tebow... but Quinn?

Ha ha, nice savior of the franchise, asshats! 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #12 on: Jul 28, 2011 at 17:10 »

Ochocinco is headed to New England
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 28, 2011, 5:50 PM EDT
 Getty ImagesThe long-simmering flirtation between Bill Belichick and Chad Ochocinco has finally been consummated.

Local 12 CBS in Cincinnati first reported that Ochocinco was traded to the Patriots.  Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer confirmed the news and added that Ochocinco has renegotiated his contract to a three-year deal.

The Patriots needed more speed outside, but there are serious questions whether Ochocinco still has that speed.  He gives them another player, not unlike Deion Branch, who relies more on craftiness than gamebreak ability at this stage in his career.

“God is so Good,” Ochocinco wrote on Twitter.

The move makes sense in isolation.  Since it comes on the same day as the Albert Haynesworth acquisition, it will raise questions in New England about whether Bill Belichick’s Patriots are becoming the new Isle of Misfit Toys.

Here’s how we think the Patriots would answer that criticism: They are just looking for value.  Haynesworth and Ochocinco are talented players coming at discounts, grateful for the chance to resurrect their careers.  They trust their locker room leadership and system enough to handle any off-field concerns.

If the new guys act up, they will be promptly dropped and the system moves on.  We don’t know if the plan will work, but that’s likely how the Patriots view things.

And to think Patriots fans complained just Wednesday how “boring” this free agent period was shaping up to be.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Jul 28, 2011 at 17:43 »

I know Belichimp walks on water and all, but not sure the Ocho and Hayneswerf signings are all that exciting.  Yeah, yeah, yeah, channeling his Bruschi-powers, Belichimp resurrected Moss, Dillon, and Hank Poteat, but two things.  No, the Pats did not give up a lot for Hayneswerf, but they took his contract... and IIRC that was a pretty big sum.  (*Note, just visited a Pats site... *blarf*... that summed up the deal as a 2 year, $12M deal due to a $20M bonus due in 2013.)  They'll play him at DT inn 40 fronts and at DE beside Wilfork at nose in the 30, but can he play the spot?  On paper, sure.  But his wildly inconsistent ass could either thrive or explode. 

Seems like there is a temporary Belichimp Effect, and then players revert toward the mean.  Moss was rededicated to the game by coming to NE, and then he went back to being a moody, feckless cuss.  So I expect one great season from Hayneswerf, and then a season where he shows up pissy and unfocused.

As for Ocho, hilarious dude, but he's not gonna fill the role Moss had.  I just don't think people would consider him as more than an above-average, productive dude if he didn't have the schtick.  Same thing, Ocho comes out and has a great season, then he goes back to being JAG-plus.  Ike can still shut his ass down, and always will.

Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #14 on: Jul 28, 2011 at 17:44 »

Greg Olsen traded to the panthers.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Jul 28, 2011 at 18:22 »

No, the Pats did not give up a lot for Hayneswerf, but they took his contract... and IIRC that was a pretty big sum.  (*Note, just visited a Pats site... *blarf*... that summed up the deal as a 2 year, $12M deal due to a $20M bonus due in 2013.) 

Per Sirius NFL radio this am, heard that Haynesworth would cost the 'cheats about 5M total (not sure if that was just for this year, though). Supposedly the Skins are on the hook for the balance.

I'm hoping that Haynes comes in weighing 750 pounds (400 of him and another 350 pounds of offensive tackle stuck in his cleats).

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Jul 29, 2011 at 08:01 »

As usual, Belicheat gives up a bag of Skittles and some S&H green stamps to get players, all the while collecting first and second round picks.

Hard to say that either the AH or COC deals risk much.  I still think they will only have a short return, but we'll see.

Texans got S D. Manning and CB J. Joseph, so they could have made the moves they need to make the playoffs. 

Seattle has been odd.  Seriously, what are they doing?

Cinci will be fighting for the Andrew Luck pick in the 2012 draft.

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Jul 29, 2011 at 09:46 »

Seattle has been odd.  Seriously, what are they doing?

Schlereth was funny (and meant to be)earlier this week when they asked him about the QB situation in Seattle.  Basically said that in order to be successful, you must have a good backup, and the 'Hawks have the best backup situation in the league - they've got 3 of them.  Don't have a starter, but totally set on backups.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #18 on: Jul 29, 2011 at 09:57 »

No, the Pats did not give up a lot for Hayneswerf ... But his wildly inconsistent ass could either thrive or explode.

Such an explosion would likely take out the entire LB corps and the secondary.  Can you imagine the horror?  I'd pay to hear Madden describe that!

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Jul 29, 2011 at 10:54 »

Rumors dominated the morning drive that the Jets are the favorite to land Asomugha.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: