Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 14, 2014 at 21:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crotchety or T.O.?  (Read 987 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Aug 09, 2011 at 09:53 »

Seems like a T.O. thread has become an annual thing for me in the last handful of years.

Right now, if you had your pick of the two, which way you goin'?

Assuming T.O. is healthy (which I kinda find hard to believe he is), I go that route.  Pretty sure the money would be about equal.  Hell, he might even come cheaper at this point in his career.  Plus, I think he's just a better weapon.  Six Fingers is an OK signing for depth; Owens gives you a legit, big play, red zone weapon.  Again, assuming he's healthy, 'course.

OK.  Go ahead.  Call me crazy...

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2011 at 10:05 »

TO. Take a chance

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2011 at 10:07 »

You're crazy!!

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2011 at 10:56 »

Steelers usually like to strike while the iron is hot, so JC leaving without a deal seems significant.  Unless he knocks on more doors and finds that our lowball (if we offered) is the best in town.  In the meantime, with Sanders out, Antonio Brown is getting steady work and making the best of it, and the coaches are looking at the almost-rans from the WR squad and finding Ben is clicking with Wes Welker Lite Tyler Grisham.  Sanders is out of the boot, so if his prognosis is good, it helps their bargaining position.  Entirely possible that we have the same WR squad as last year with Grisham replacing ARE and Battle along for STs, or not.

Assuming Cotchery is still being considered, and the FO is even entertaining the idea of TO:

Cotchery:  29 years old, herniated back, great locker room guy and team player.
     2010: 41-433-2.  2009: 57-821-3.  2008: 71-858-5.

TO:  37 years old, ACL, me-first who bails on team at any sign of trouble.
     2010: 72-983-9.  2009: 55-829-5.  2008: 69-1052-10.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2011 at 11:00 »

(Cont.)

TO has the ability, even given his age and injury, to be more potent than Cotchery, but where does he fit?  What salary?  One-year vet min for a chance at a ring?  Hard to see that working.

Cotchery's been stuck in a middlin' Jets offense and has still put up numbers, but he'd also be in the youth logjam, unless Ward got hurt.  So he'd be a role player, and likely wants more.  I'd consider giving him a 2/$5M as an insurance policy, but doubt that goes down either.

Get used to Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, and... Grisham?

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2011 at 11:20 »

Assuming Cotchery is still being considered, and the FO is even entertaining the idea of TO:

Cotchery:  29 years old, herniated back, great locker room guy and team player.
     2010: 41-433-2.  2009: 57-821-3.  2008: 71-858-5.

TO:  37 years old, ACL, me-first who bails on team at any sign of trouble.
     2010: 72-983-9.  2009: 55-829-5.  2008: 69-1052-10.

To be fair, I think T.O.'s reputation is still suffering for all the bullshit he caused when he was younger.  I mean, the guy was in probably two of the worst situations a player can be in the last two seasons with the Bengals in '10 and Bills in '09 and I don't recall much of any on or off the field drama.  He just went out and did what he was supposed to do.  And, those were some pretty bad offenses to be a part of too.

One other thing to point out, each of those seasons listed above was with a different team.  '08 was his last year with the Cowgirls; '09 with the hapless Bills; and '10 with the anemic Kitties.  The one constant?  He was the leading receiver each year for each squad.  He didn't pull a Randy and just quit on his team.

I'd give him a 1YR/1MIL deal or a 1YR/VET MIN plus incentives not to exceed 1.5MIL deal.  Not sure which one I'd prefer, tho.

EDIT:  Just realized that for a player with his length of service, the veteran minimum would be about 1 million.  So, I guess I'd give him a 1YR/1MIL plus incentives not to exceed 1.75 or so.
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2011 at 11:32 by aj_law » Logged

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Aug 09, 2011 at 11:36 »

Besides, Otis has a case of Sean Morey jerseys sitting in his attic that he'd love to unload.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #7 on: Aug 09, 2011 at 11:37 »

Terrell was nothing but a distraction in Dallas.  He couldn't handle Whitten getting the # of balls he did.  And how much of the hubbub was just the media I couldn't say, but it was a constant barrage of TO this and TO that - it was mind-numbing.  When he did have quotes, they were generally of the passive-aggressive variety.  If he had a bad game it was never anything he did, etc.  Can't say he ever made much of a positive impact on the Cowboys' offense.  He'd have a few good games and disappear in others, but when you look at his numbers as a whole, they're fine.  But not game by game.  Basically, the guy puts up empty numbers.

Just say "NO" to TO.

Don't mess with the squad of WRs the Steelers have now, let them continue to develop.  WR ain't the a problem area on this team.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #8 on: Aug 09, 2011 at 12:39 »

This kind of shit went on all year last year.

Video: Terrell Owens Costs Carson Palmer Key Interception

No thank you.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Aug 09, 2011 at 13:11 »

Get used to Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, and... Grisham?

Completely forgot Sweed.

Wonder why.

Hate to beat the greasy spot... but if that kid gets his shit together... and.. never mind. beatdeadhorse55vt

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: