Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 22, 2014 at 20:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preseason Game #1 - 8/12 - @Washington  (Read 2893 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Aug 12, 2011 at 10:04 »

Either jonzr hasn't slapped up the season's game threads or Penso deleted them.

I wouldn't say there are a lot of positional battles, but there are plenty of players I'll be watching.  Starters will get 10 snaps max, per Tomlin.

80 WR Limas Sweed.  Chances are slim he makes the cut, but it will be interesting to see how much work he gets with Sanders out and Cotchery not yet in rotation.  If he excels, could be trade material for teams hungry for a WR (Cards, Vikes, Bears, etc.).

23 CB Keenan Lewis and 28 CB Crezdon Butler.  I'm not expecting much from the rookies (40 Curtis Brown and 39 Cortez Allen), since it takes rookies a while with the **** D, the shortened preseason, and since Brown's been nursing a leg injury.  So the time to step up is now for Lewis, who's got the skills to cover guys like Wallace but has been inconsistent at best.  Butler has an intriguing skill set as well, and could leapfrog Lewis.  I'd like to see one of them do enough to push for a starting job, but I'm not holding my breath.

61 G/T Chris Scott, 62 G Keith Williams, and 65 T Marcus Gilbert.  Scott has been getting positive reviews at RG in place of Ramon Foster, and Keith Williams has been praised for his physical play.  Scott, Foster, and Williams (along with Colon) are the Roly Polys, the G/RT guys we stock up on like survivalists stock up on canned goods.  Realistically, this is a battle for who replaces Essex at RG.  Gilbert is a different story.  Max Starks Lite, or the "big bear" as Tomlin called him, provides much needed T depth, and could push Jon Scott at LT if he gets some reps there.  Hard to overstate how much we need someone to dominate at OT.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2011 at 10:19 »

10 QB Dennis Dixon.  Steelers didn't extend him, but he'll likely get a lot of work in the preseason.  Keep or trade?  Extend or allow him to walk?  What is the FO thinking with him?

19 WR Tyler Grisham has gotten a lot of camp buzz, but he's got a tough road to even catch on as WR6.  Fighting Arnaz Battle and Limas Sweed, so teams skills could be every bit as important as receiving skills for him.  Also possible trade material?

55 ILB Sly Sylvester, 54 ILB Chris Carter, 44 ILB Mario Harvey, 48 ILB MOrtty Ivy and 97 OLB Jason Worilds.  A really interesting trio of young ILBs, with speed to burn.  Sylvester is reportedly very good this year, Carter flashes talent, Ivy has laid some solid hits, and Harvey has been dinged.  Can the young guys show enough to win one of the backup spots, or even make Foote expendable?  Worilds also needs to show he's made progress.  Doesn't have to be Silverback as long as he's not Bruce Davis. 

9 P Dan Sepulveda and 13 P Jeremy Kapinos.  Steelers have been patient with Sepulveda, but is he fully healed yet?  Will he ever stay healthy?  Will he be replaced by last year's fill-in?  Looks like a coin flip at this point.

95 DE Cameron Heyward.  Not expecting a lot, just excited to see him on the field.

27 RB Jon Dwyer and 38 RB John Clay.  Can either of the big boys show enough to stick as RB4?  Dwyer made the cut last year on scant evidence, but arrived at camp heavy.  Clay is a big back coming off ankle injuries.  The bar is set low, and I expect neither makes the 53-man.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2011 at 10:28 »

For us non-locals, is this being broadcasted tonight?

Wasn't even aware of the preseason action last night.  Gotta think it's gonna look pretty messy the first few times out.

Edit:  OMFG, Pats dropped 47 on Jags?  The more things change, the more they stay the same for Bellychuckle.  Mallett looked good from the highlights I saw, but then again, it was against 3rd and 4th string defenders.
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2011 at 10:47 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2011 at 11:35 »

Rerun on the 212 Saturday 4-7.

Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2011 at 13:30 »

Directv channel 642 @ 7:30 EST

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Ytownsteelfan

« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2011 at 16:19 »

Anyone got a good webcast for the game, I unfortunately have Dish and the game is not on.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2011 at 17:45 »

Nowhere else to put this:  212 is showing the end of the Patsies-Jags preseason game from last night, and Mrs. F gets a load of the score.  Her comment?  Oh, they're a bunch of no-class jackasses...

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2011 at 18:51 »

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/webmaster/Live-Football-Stream/78219/1/watch-pittsburgh-steelers-vs-washington-redskins.html
bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Aug 12, 2011 at 18:53 »

You're not missing much.

Ben had Wallace wide open on a pass from midfield, Wallace was at the 10, and Ben overthrew him.

Punt to the 2.  Washington moved down the field, and now have second and goal.  It's been a nice combination of them holding the hell out of us on just about every run, and then we miss tackles on the second level.

Incomplete on the screen, 3rd and goal from the 12.

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Aug 12, 2011 at 18:55 »

Shayne Graham with the worst kick I've seen by a guy beyond 9th grade football.

And if Bob Pompeani and Edmund Nelson don't figure out that it's Ryan MUNDY, not Ryan MONDAY, it's going to be a long night.

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: