Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 18, 2014 at 16:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 15 - Dec 19 @ SF  (Read 8079 times)
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #90 on: Dec 21, 2011 at 15:09 »

Dunno about that.  Jesus or Texans/Ravens?

Actually, turns out it doesn't matter.  According to the playoff machine, we're 5 seed no matter what, even at 10-6.  We win TB over Jets and Bengals.  All the more reason to rest guys.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #91 on: Dec 21, 2011 at 20:50 »

I was at the game Monday, so for selfish reasons, prior to kickoff I was hoping Ben would play.  It'd be a shame to drop $300 for tickets and have to watch Batch play, especially with the chance to jump Balty.  All that being said, I think it's pretty obvious Ben shouldn't have played.  That's on Tomlin for not stepping in and taking control of the situation.  This is clearly Ben's team, but he has to know he can't make all the decisions.

Where was the defense though?  I know we were missing Silverback and Woodley is gimpy but I don't think Smith had any pressure on him all night.  That's on LeBeau/Tomlin for not adjusting at halftime to try and get in Smith's face and force the issue.  Dude looked like Montana.

Mendenhall was averaging 4+ per rush against the best run defense in the league while the QB can barely walk?  That's on Arians, but the bigger problem is due to Tomlin/Colbert/Rooneys or whoever has been blackmailed into keeping Arians around.  Clearly the gameplan was set up for Charlie Batch and because (seemingly) Ben decided to play last minute, there were no adjustments made at all.

Big Picture: All the frustrations with the season aside (and Monday night was arguable the worst game of Tomlin's tenure, given the situation and what was on the line), we can't just brush the Pats victory aside, which was a signature win for this team, IMO.  Pats having a down year?  With Brady and Gronk breaking records and they are now the one seed?  Not sure how that is a down year.  The defense (through a combo of great gameplanning and excellent play) had their way with one of the best offenses in the league.

Let's just hope the Bengals can beat the Ratties Week 17 and just sit Ben, Woodley and the like until playoff time.  This team is obviously flawed, but given the playmakers we have on both sides of the ball, as long as the games stay close this team has a puncher's chance to return to the SB.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #92 on: Dec 21, 2011 at 22:18 »

Tomlin wins or loses during the week, not during the game. If he's already outsmarted-- and you can usually tell by the second quarter-- he's not gonna catch up. Same goes for Lebeau, for that matter, anymore. OTOH I'm not quite sure what Arians does during the week, but I wouldn't be surprised if it involved a rubber ball, freshly metled wax and warm faeces; why we hired a Cleveland guy I'll never know. I think the dude rolls a 20 sided dice before each play.
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2011 at 22:28 by pensodyssey » Logged

A shabby Charlie Brown.
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #93 on: Dec 21, 2011 at 23:13 »

Tomlin wins or loses during the week, not during the game.

I have heard you say this before, however I am not entirely sure how we would know whether this was true.  Considering this team’s tendencies, one would say you are dead on.  But could it just be talent?

As I see it, Tomlin is one of the worst game management coaches (maybe of all time). And worse yet, there is no consistency to his rigmarole. I have no doubt, that many of the posters on this board could do that portion of his job better than him.  But really how surprising is this?

That said, he seems to have struck a chord with his players, which for now is good enough considering the talent that surrounds him.  I guess I see him as neither an asset nor a liability, which quite possibly could be ahead of the game as far as NFL coaches are concerned.

In terms of comparable Rex Ryan comes to mind (but for their post-game demeanors).  From what I have seen, Rex is equally poor managing the game, but clearly revered by his players.  I will give Rex +1 for the fact that he has transformed that defense whereas I am not so sure how much of Tomlin’s cover 2 has stuck with this defense.

One thing is for sure, this team is going to have to get a whole lot worse before we see another coach.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #94 on: Dec 22, 2011 at 00:10 »

As I see it, Tomlin is one of the worst game management coaches (maybe of all time).

Back off the ledge.  Reid is worse. Turner is worse.  Lovie Smith, Gary Kubiak, Mike Shanahan, all worse.  Would you trade Tomlin for those guys? For Rex Ryan, for either of the Harbaughs?  Let's get Jason Garrett in here.  SING JON FACKS HALLO HE DRAFTED >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TIME TOBLOW<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11  WE CUD AV HiD KEN TWIZENUNT

A shabby Charlie Brown.
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #95 on: Dec 22, 2011 at 01:20 »

As I see it, Tomlin is one of the worst game management coaches (maybe of all time).

Back off the ledge.  Reid is worse. Turner is worse.  Lovie Smith, Gary Kubiak, Mike Shanahan, all worse.  Would you trade Tomlin for those guys? For Rex Ryan, for either of the Harbaughs?  Let's get Jason Garrett in here.  SING JON FACKS HALLO HE DRAFTED >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TIME TOBLOW<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11  WE CUD AV HiD KEN TWIZENUNT

Nah, you definitely have a point.  Even Belicheat makes some bonehead decisions.  And all of the coaches listed are prime examples save Garrett (aside: that timeout was not a bad decision, he just didn’t know why it wasn’t a bad decision and defended in the postgame press conference using all the wrong justifications—next time just tell ‘em that you wanted your kicker to have a good look at the fg before attempting the damn thing).  I just find Tomlin looking perplexed out there at times (has calling your last timeout with a running clock, a gimpy QB, and less than 20 seconds in the half ever been the wrong decision?).  

Clearly I am not distraught over who we are “stuck” with.  I think he is very bad in terms of managing a football game.  Outside of that, he average to above average in the other facets.  

Hey, red sweater got hired as a REPLAY consultant for the Colts.  Can’t we bring someone in as an in-game/game management consultant?  
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #96 on: Dec 22, 2011 at 08:22 »

Hey, red sweater got hired as a REPLAY consultant for the Colts.  Can’t we bring someone in as an in-game/game management consultant?  

HIGHER JOE FRATERNO FOR RELPAY CONSUTTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!  WE CANT' LOOSE!!!!!!!!!!!

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 ... 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: