Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 27, 2014 at 14:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 15 - Dec 19 @ SF  (Read 8683 times)
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #80 on: Dec 20, 2011 at 09:09 »

Good imitation. Also, and not divert traffic from this site, but I found this thread on the Steelers' Scout.com board - lotta good points, IMO (and no, I'm not the author). I think many of the Tomlin loyalists of growing weary of him.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=68&f=1897&t=8461038

Here's the first post (in thread titled "Tomlin still learning...don't worry"):

For all the Steeler Fans who are freaked out right now...don't worry..... Tomlin is still learning. His clock management, his team playing sloppy consistently, his team not discipline, his control over Arians, letting Ben decide "he" will stay in the game not the HC, consistent sand lot offense, his team playing flat more consistently, going into the season with a poor kicker, don't worry he will figure things out soon...he's still learning. This team is not well coached...I'm sorry to say...it's just not.  For me Arians can't leave soon enough and I know I will catch hell for this too, but it's my opinion......They should have hired Wiz for this job. Ben has become the coach of this team. I know some will agree...they are the so called realist and so am I. Talent can hide bad coaching,,,trust me!

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
Manimal

« Reply #81 on: Dec 20, 2011 at 10:02 »

Until we fix the O-Line, get serious about developing some kind of offensive philosophy, this team won't reach its potential. The loss last night was disappointing, sure, but when you look at this season as a whole, this was a mirage 10-3 team coming in. We somehow scraped by running the gauntlet of Gabbert, Tavaris, Palko, Painter, Dalton, and McCoy to get 7 of our 10 wins. Alex Smith and Matt Hasselbeck aren't elite QBs, either.

I'm not the kind of fan who thinks we need to get to the Super Bowl every year for the season to be successful, and coming in to this year, I thought this might be a transitional year for us. And I think that remains true; it's just that the schedule has allowed us to have an inflated win-loss record.

We still have a solid chance, and I'll root for the team the rest of the way of course. Postseason in football is a very short tournament, and good play and some good luck can get us three straight wins on the road. But I just think this is a pretty good team, with some good young talent, but hardly a dominant Steelers team.
Joetorious

« Reply #82 on: Dec 20, 2011 at 10:23 »

Until we fix the O-Line, get serious about developing some kind of offensive philosophy, this team won't reach its potential. The loss last night was disappointing, sure, but when you look at this season as a whole, this was a mirage 10-3 team coming in. We somehow scraped by running the gauntlet of Gabbert, Tavaris, Palko, Painter, Dalton, and McCoy to get 7 of our 10 wins. Alex Smith and Matt Hasselbeck aren't elite QBs, either.

I'm not the kind of fan who thinks we need to get to the Super Bowl every year for the season to be successful, and coming in to this year, I thought this might be a transitional year for us. And I think that remains true; it's just that the schedule has allowed us to have an inflated win-loss record.

We still have a solid chance, and I'll root for the team the rest of the way of course. Postseason in football is a very short tournament, and good play and some good luck can get us three straight wins on the road. But I just think this is a pretty good team, with some good young talent, but hardly a dominant Steelers team.

Love the "gauntlet" line.

Re: being a transitional year, I didn't necessarily have the highest of hopes either (being that we played in a SB last year), but I don't think transitional would be how I describe my mindset in terms of expectations for this team. To be transitional, we would have had to do something different. However, we have the same shitty coaches (save for Lebeau, though he appears to be slipping somewhat, and perhaps one or two positional coaches). Same shitty Oline. Same D we've had for 10 years. Many great players in skills positions on offense.

If we had these results in a true transitional year (perhaps having a new OC), I would be ecstatic. As it is, we're underachieving with the status quo.

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #83 on: Dec 20, 2011 at 10:37 »

Fact is, we squandered an opportunity, even with injuries, and even with whatever transitions in personnel we're going through.  The coaches -- HC, OC and DC -- all did a shitty job.  SF has no offense, so the way they moved the ball and were able to score is an abomination.  Arians's inability to get his own pants off before shitting in them is no surprise, nor is his inability to utilize personnel to compensate for a gimp QB.  Tomlin is Tomlin.

Welcome to the 5 seed and an early loss in the playoffs.  There just ain't time for the guys to get healthy or the coaches to get smart.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #84 on: Dec 20, 2011 at 10:38 »

If we had these results in a true transitional year (perhaps having a new OC), I would be ecstatic. As it is, we're underachieving with the status quo.

This.

And the mirage 10-4 is truth.  The best team they've beaten is the Patsies in a rare down year for them.  Turns out the Bengals wins were against an inferior team as were the rest of the W's.  I'm not expecting a road win in the playoffs with  this squad and these coaches.  For this team to win they have to have the best players b/c they aren't out-scheming or out-game-planning anyone in the playoffs.  And when they hit the playoffs, they won't have the best players.  Solid?  Yes.  Best QB?  Maybe, if he's healthy.  But not the best roster.

The status quo ain't getting it done.  If Tomlin doesn't have the sack to shake it up then what needs to be done is what needs to be done.  But I'm still holding out hope that Mike will see the writing on the wall.
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2011 at 11:04 by jonzr » Logged

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Manimal

« Reply #85 on: Dec 20, 2011 at 10:57 »

By transitional I mean that we have had to:

* remove Hines Ward from the offense, a guy who was a big part of our scheme, an extension of the running game in many ways with his short routes, tackle-breaking runs after the catch, and so forth. Our whole passing game got a lot more vertical, with more boom-or-bust drives as a result.

* Revamped the offensive line -- a yearly project, of course, so no different from any other year, but still a new thing to adjust to.

* Lots of backups playing big minutes at LB with the injuries to Woodley, Farrior, and Harrison.

* New d-line, with Smith gone, Hampton diminished, and Hood and Heyward getting in there.

* Lots of new DBs.

The thing that's surprised me is that I expected the defense to slip this year, and instead we have an offense that looks a bit to me like the Bears' offense. We're in danger of wasting the prime years of Ben's career with the dipshit offensive gameplanning and the semi-pros we have playing on the line.

In the offseason, if we draft two offensive linemen with our top two picks, add an ILB to eventually challenge Timmons either in the draft or free agency, and send Arians packing, I'll be optimistic for next year.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #86 on: Dec 20, 2011 at 11:51 »

You know what last night looked like?  A team that wasn't prepared.  A team that was, in all likelihood, planning on starting Batch until the Chargers went and surprised the Ravens.  When that happened, they shifted gears and went into crisis mode to get their star QB on the field.  You just can't do that in a day and a half in this league.  And, definitely not against a quality opponent.

I don't care what any media source claims, you're not going to convince me that he would've played if the Ravens won.  If that's the case, he shouldn't have played against the Niners either.  Taking the approach they did is a recipe for failure and disaster.  They spent all goddamned week prepping and running Batch with the 1s and all of a sudden on Saturday, after a "limited" practice session (i.e. he fucking worked on some dropbacks, tossed the ball around and spent the rest of the afternoon carrying his helmet) the coaches saw something that told them Ben was a go?  Fuck that.  What exactly did they see that made them think that was a good idea?  It was blatantly fucking obvious during warmups and even when he tried to just jog out of the tunnel that he was in no condition to be "behind the helmet." 

Last night's game might be Tomlin's biggest blunder as HC of this team.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Manimal

« Reply #87 on: Dec 20, 2011 at 12:42 »

To that point, I often think that Ben runs this team. There's upside to that, yes. But there's plenty of downside, too.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #88 on: Dec 21, 2011 at 13:26 »

I was all for giving Ben a shot if there was a chance he could go.  SF has a great run D, and with Batch they would respect the pass even less, making it harder to find running lanes.  But, it was obvious Ben could not throw downfield.  And, maybe more importantly, he couldn't protect himself under pressure.  So I think they should have pulled him no later than halftime.  Would he want to come out?  No, of course not.  But Tomlin's got to sit him down and say he appreciates the effort, but he's not helping right now.

I agree it seems Ben made that call.  Which is admirable courage, but not in the best interest.

Sit all wounded for next 2 weeks.  We probably aren't winning division, and almost certainly not getting top seed.  Not worth it now, and we should be able to win these games with some backups.  Not much difference between 5 and 6 seed.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #89 on: Dec 21, 2011 at 14:54 »

I was all for giving Ben a shot if there was a chance he could go.  SF has a great run D, and with Batch they would respect the pass even less, making it harder to find running lanes.  But, it was obvious Ben could not throw downfield.  And, maybe more importantly, he couldn't protect himself under pressure.  So I think they should have pulled him no later than halftime.  Would he want to come out?  No, of course not.  But Tomlin's got to sit him down and say he appreciates the effort, but he's not helping right now.

I agree it seems Ben made that call.  Which is admirable courage, but not in the best interest.

Sit all wounded for next 2 weeks.  We probably aren't winning division, and almost certainly not getting top seed.  Not worth it now, and we should be able to win these games with some backups.  Not much difference between 5 and 6 seed.

Dunno about that.  Jesus or Texans/Ravens?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 ... 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: