Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 25, 2014 at 17:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 14 - Dec 8 - Cleveland  (Read 5530 times)
Robotman
Administrator
No longer a N00b!

« on: Aug 15, 2011 at 08:57 »

Brownies, yum!
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2011 at 09:04 by Robotman » Logged
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2011 at 16:21 »

End this early; no excuses.  They just finished getting pounded by Ratbirds, and we have them on short week while we coasted.

Start of weird schedule quirks.  Good news; long break before MNF on West coast @San Fran.  Bad news; said MNF game followed by Saturday game back east at 1. 

I saw we had Sat game, but thought it was just late season extra exposure with no real college FB.  Didn't connect it was Xmas eve and whole league except GB/Det was playing early.

And yes, this has almost nothing to do with Browns, but they aren't impressing ATM.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 08:25 »

Do we play this like we played the Bungles, or like we played the Chefs?

If we eke out a 13-10 kinda win I'm gonna need Depends.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 08:33 »

I don't know, but earning the 5th seed with a 13-3 record would surely suck.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 08:36 »

Based on what's happened so far I'd expect another Chefs game.  But I'm hoping they have their shit together and blow those CLE bitches out.

That it would.  Should have taken care of the Ratties that second time.  But winning in the playoffs at B'more would fix it all.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 08:46 »

Was talking about this at the bar.  Would a five seed and a first rounder against the west champ be all that bad?

Besides, I think the baltimaroons drop another before it's all said and did.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 08:54 »

Would a five seed and a first rounder against the west champ be all that bad?

No, that wouldn't be bad. The next one or two might be.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2011 at 09:56 by otismalibu » Logged
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 09:40 »

The second round would likely be a trip to Foxboro, and it's about time we did something up there.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 09:43 »

The second round would likely be a trip to Foxboro, and it's about time we did something up there.

Indeed.  Much is owed to the Patsies and Herr Bellychump.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 09:56 »

I was just thinking about the seeding the other day as I realized fucking Teblow could wind up being our WC opponent.  According to the CBS playoff race seedings, the pecking order is:

1. Patriots
2. Ravens
3. Texans
4. Broncos
5. Steelers
6. Bengals

And Titans, Raiders, and Jets are also at 7-5 but behind the Bengals on tie-breakers.  (All the 7-5 teams have 2 significant opponents each on their schedules, but if the Texans coast in the final game it could actually gift the Titans.)

The 6 v. 3 would be a tough call, if Bengals and Texans could go either way.  I would hope we would crush Tebow, but if the Texans strugglew with a rookie QB and the Bengals win, the next round would be Beangals at Pats and Steelers at Ravens.  Bengals upset Beardy, Steelers get revenge, we could host the AFCC against the Bengals. 

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 09:57 »

Can we beat the Pats twice in one season?
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 10:14 »

BTW, Browns actually have a pretty solid pass D.  173.3 YPG allowed is tops in the league, and Steelers are second at 176.8 (average = 230.1).  Fifth in the league in completion percentage allowed at 55.7%, Steelers are sixth at 57.0% (avg. = 60.2%).  Passer rating allowed is 9th in league, 79.4, while the Steelers are 6th, 77.1 (avg. = 82.3).

Running D sucks tho.  Steelers YPG allowed is 7th with 96.9, but Browns are 31st at 151.3 (ave. = 115.3).  Teams have run on the Browns 409 times, second only to Indy with 418.  They're 22nd in the league at YPC allowed with 4.4, right around what Philly allows.

Over/under on carries for the backs?  Because you know Arians will fuck it up.  I say Mendy 15, Redman 3. 

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 10:19 »

Can we beat the Pats twice in one season?

Can we?  Sure. 

I wouldn't bet on it though.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 11:03 »

The 6 v. 3 would be a tough call, if Bengals and Texans could go either way.  I would hope we would crush Tebow, but if the Texans strugglew with a rookie QB and the Bengals win, the next round would be Beangals at Pats and Steelers at Ravens.  Bengals upset Beardy, Steelers get revenge, we could host the AFCC against the Bengals. 

Interesting scenario there.  Man, if they play the Broncos in the WC I'd actually be a bit nervous - what with playing down to the competition and the fact that the Broncos have a pretty good defense.  What if The Tebow has the ball last?  Santa help us.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 11:13 »

Interesting scenario there.  Man, if they play the Broncos in the WC I'd actually be a bit nervous - what with playing down to the competition and the fact that the Broncos have a pretty good defense.  What if The Tebow has the ball last?  Santa help us.

Also, no Ryan Clark in Denver, remember?  Broncos down 4, 27 seconds remain, Tebow with the ball, turning the corner, he could... go... all... the... BAM!  92 crushes the fucker, Tebow coughs up the ball and a few teeth, Keisel scoops it and runs it 80 yards to seal the win.  Afterwards, Tebow goes to one knee and thanks God he still has 30 teeth left.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 11:17 »

Mmmm..."playoffs"...

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 11:31 »

Not too bad, since this been what other teams would refer to as a building year.  On D, we've had Hood take over for Smith; Snacks has been absent some and we've played with McClendon at nose a bit; Keisel, Harrison, Woodley, and Pola have all missed time as well; Keenan Lewis has pushed McFadden to STs.  On O, the OL has been a regular carousel, with Jon Scott replaced now by Max Starks, with some weeks the LT duties manned by Gilbert or Essex; RT had Colon to start and has Gilbert now; Pouncey's had some dings; LG has Kemo back, but perhaps not for long; Foster's hurt but may be back; Ben's usual array of injuries; Brown ascending, Ward descending the depth, with Sanders filling out the starting trio; some peeks at Jon Dwyer and Wes Saunders...  Every year has injuries, but this seems to be a youth movement bubbling up.  But we're the old team, right?

Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 12:36 »

Suppose we lose to San Fran without a loss from Baltimore, putting us two games down, effectively wrapping up the division for the Ravens. How would we handle the last two games, against the Rams and Browns? Would we rest some veterans for the playoff run?

There won't be much difference between being a 5th or 6th seed, this year. There are no teams to worry about playing in the first round, except possibly Oakland, but they look they're screwing up their opportunity. Then we'll face back-to-back road games with Balty and NE if we move forward.

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 15:06 »

BTW, Browns actually have a pretty solid pass D.  173.3 YPG allowed is tops in the league, and Steelers are second at 176.8 (average = 230.1).  Fifth in the league in completion percentage allowed at 55.7%, Steelers are sixth at 57.0% (avg. = 60.2%).  Passer rating allowed is 9th in league, 79.4, while the Steelers are 6th, 77.1 (avg. = 82.3).

Running D sucks tho.  Steelers YPG allowed is 7th with 96.9, but Browns are 31st at 151.3 (ave. = 115.3).  Teams have run on the Browns 409 times, second only to Indy with 418.  They're 22nd in the league at YPC allowed with 4.4, right around what Philly allows.

ALways the age old question.  Does their pass D look good because it's good, or because they suck so bad against the run teams don't pass?  The top 10 in completion % and passer rating against speak to a good defense, but again it's possible opponents are only passing in obvious situations which would help their numbers. 
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 15:59 »

ALways the age old question.  Does their pass D look good because it's good, or because they suck so bad against the run teams don't pass?  The top 10 in completion % and passer rating against speak to a good defense, but again it's possible opponents are only passing in obvious situations which would help their numbers. 

At some point, if a team really has no pass defense, an OC will come along and blow them up.  I haven’t really seen that so far this season.  Their DTs, Ahtyba Rubin and Phil Taylor, clock in at a combined 7 bills.  They will get serious push up the middle.  Taylor was a NT I especially liked in last year’s draft, and from the UT spot he’s notched 4 sacks already, while Rubin has 3 sacks.  Jabaal Sheard has 5.5 sacks working out of LDE, so Gilbert will have his hands full with the speed rush.  Really, the entire OL will be tested. 

D’Qwell Jackson is a frenetic tackler, 112 tackles thus far.  A couple of wily vets flesh out the secondary, with former Niner Mike Adams at FS and former Eagle Sheldon Brown at CB.  But the real shutdown guy is Joe Haden, who will probably draw Wallace.  Haden is pretty damned impressive.

We’ll need to get some mismatches from Miller against the LBs, and from Brown and Sanders against the DB depth, and hit guys fast.  I have a feeling the OL will be tested this week, even more than usual.  Dalton put 270 yards passing on this D, but no one’s cracked 300 yards this year.  They’ve only allowed 200+ four times this year, but then again, LOC is a BIG question mark:  the only QBs worth a shit have been Hasselbeck (meh), 220 yards, Dalton, 173 and 270, and Schaub, 119. 

If we can get an offensive rhythm going (I know, I know) and wear down their big uglies, we can crack this shit wide open.  If they get us into a slow-moving slopfest, ugh.

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 20:12 »

They do have solid defensive players, and their scoring defense isn't bad at 20 points a game (9th).  Main problem for them is they are severely offensively challenged, scoring 14.6 per (28th).

Teams are running on them 56% of the time, which I'm guessing is way above league average; although they are losing, so teams obviously run more (59% runs against in their losses; 42% in wins).

Looks like Denver in the sense that defense keeps them in it, waiting for offense to get in gear.  Unlike Denver, offense rarely does.

As noted, hope to wear them down, although a couple big plays would be nice. 

Ravens were statistically dominant, but only scored 17 points on offense.  Only 1 TO and 4 penalties, but missed 2 FG, so could have been worse.  Ran all over them - 55 rushes(!) at 5.3 per.

Looking like a 20-6 kind of game.  Never totally out of reach, but never a sense that we're in any real danger.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2011 at 10:29 »

Over/under on carries for the backs?  Because you know Arians will fuck it up.  I say Mendy 15, Redman 3. 

I get what you're sayin', but the problem is that Pittsburgh isn't the kind of team that can just line up and run the ball 35+ times and be effective.  They need to pass to set up the run so hopefully Ben can open things up a little which will give Mendenhall some room to dance.  If they elect to just come out in their big sets and try to run gut or traps or off tackle left, Mendenhall's stat line will look something like 11 carries for 29 yards at the half.  Spread those bitches out early, then hit 'em hard when they're back on their heels.  *giggity*  There's a lotta youth in that front seven.  Take advantage of that exuberance with RB/TE screens and delayed draws from passing sets.

They’ve only allowed 200+ four times this year, but then again, LOC is a BIG question mark:  the only QBs worth a shit have been Hasselbeck (meh), 220 yards, Dalton, 173 and 270, and Schaub, 119. 

If we can get an offensive rhythm going (I know, I know) and wear down their big uglies, we can crack this shit wide open.  If they get us into a slow-moving slopfest, ugh.

How could you possibly forget the Coiffed One?

For fantasy purposes, I hope they follow last week's MO; get up early, pour it on and make it a snoozer by halftime.  While their 20 PPG defense looks decent, most of the "good" teams on their schedule hit the mid twenties, with a couple breaking 30.  I would think Pittsburgh hits 27 and maybe even threaten the 30 mark.  How much will they give up though?  Hillis is back on the field for them (sorta) and he could exploit Pittsburgh's run defense.  If they don't go up early and force Cleveland to put it in McCoy's hands, their ground game will make it interesting.

The line screams take the Browns and the 14 points; intradivisional rivalry game, short week, coming off a big win and maybe feeling a little too good about themselves, looking ahead to next week's MNF matchup with the Niners.  That's why I'm taking the contrarian approach and expecting a blowout win.  30-9.

Looking like a 20-6 kind of game.  Never totally out of reach, but never a sense that we're in any real danger.

That's what my initial gut was telling me too.  I think it's predicated on how they come out early.  Let 'em hang around and it'll be one of those ugly wins.  Throw a 14-0 spot on the scoreboard by the start of the 2nd quarter and it's good night, ladies.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2011 at 10:53 »

They do have solid defensive players, and their scoring defense isn't bad at 20 points a game (9th).  Main problem for them is they are severely offensively challenged, scoring 14.6 per (28th).

Teams are running on them 56% of the time, which I'm guessing is way above league average; although they are losing, so teams obviously run more (59% runs against in their losses; 42% in wins).

Looks like Denver in the sense that defense keeps them in it, waiting for offense to get in gear.  Unlike Denver, offense rarely does.

As noted, hope to wear them down, although a couple big plays would be nice. 

Ravens were statistically dominant, but only scored 17 points on offense.  Only 1 TO and 4 penalties, but missed 2 FG, so could have been worse.  Ran all over them - 55 rushes(!) at 5.3 per.

That's about right.  Good Denver comparison.  Might steal that prediction.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2011 at 12:43 »

Woodman likely out manana.

Fack.

Edit:  Sanders didn't practice yesterday either.  Assume he's out too?

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 15:34 »

About time to start thinking about preparing to get ready to get around to starting those pregame things you do before the game begins in a little while.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 15:40 »

Time to flush da Browns.

How 'bout another shutout?

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #26 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 16:09 »

41-0

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 18:19 »

41-0

Would 38-0 be OK?

VaBchSteelersfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #28 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 19:35 »

OK, that sucked

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #29 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 20:54 »

I could live with it.  But with it at 7-3 going into the half and Ben out, maybe I'll settle fer that.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #30 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 22:16 »

I've said it before, we may have something with that Brown guy.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #31 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 22:19 »

And I've also said it before, Tomlin underwhelms me with his in-game coaching.  That decision to go for it on 4th and goal, while moot, was atrocious.  It was an absolutely awful decision.  Why?  Because he gave the Browns the one thing they needed, an opportunity for a big play, something to rally around.  If you kick the FG they don't have that.  Plus, you go up 7 points on an inferior opponent.  By giving them hope they were a TD away from leading the game.  And damn near did it due to Silverback's personal foul.  It took a great play by Gay to save the day.  The Browns were a play away from leading a game that at best they should have only been tying.

It's things like that.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #32 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 22:21 »

And what is this sick tendency the Steelers have to play with their food?

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 22:41 »

From the 3 and in, I'll take #33 over #34.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 22:48 »

Well, the defense and Ben's guts save Arians from his own pathetic, moronic, clueless ass.

Come out at halftime and we're absolutely gashing the 31st rated D with the run.  5,7, 10 yard runs.  Ben can barely walk.  So what do we do?  We need to start passing again.  Killed nearly every drive with an incompletion or penaly on passing play (or INT).

And jonz, I hear what you're saying about the call on 4th and goal, but I didn't have a problem with that.  Yes, you can get a big play, but odds of them driving 99 yards on us were extremely slim.  And I had no problem with calling for a run 4 times against that run D.  What I did have a problem with, O Arians of the Asshead clan, is why not put Redman in - remember him, your SHORT YARDAGE BACK - at least once in 4 tries?  Mendy was running well, but I think Red puts one in.

As it was, the ssecondary strategy of pinning them deep worked as we got the ball back immediately in near FG range.  That is, until Kemo BuFus another drive with a penalty.

Well, I guess in December it's the win that counts.  But heavy cost potentially.  Early report Ben and Pounce both with high ankle sprains.  Ben will likely will himself to play, but with Pouncey I sit him unless he's basically 100%.  Give it 2 1/2 weeks to heal.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 23:27 »

A win is a win, but the refereeing was fucking atrocious in this game.  Seems like any time Hochuli has a chance to appear on national tv, he grabs it.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Dec 09, 2011 at 08:39 »

This.

Plus BA's playbook is ridiculous. Asinine. 

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Dec 09, 2011 at 08:58 »

Well, the defense and Ben's guts save Arians from his own pathetic, moronic, clueless ass.

Come out at halftime and we're absolutely gashing the 31st rated D with the run.  5,7, 10 yard runs.  Ben can barely walk.  So what do we do?  We need to start passing again.  Killed nearly every drive with an incompletion or penaly on passing play (or INT).

And jonz, I hear what you're saying about the call on 4th and goal, but I didn't have a problem with that.  Yes, you can get a big play, but odds of them driving 99 yards on us were extremely slim.  And I had no problem with calling for a run 4 times against that run D.  What I did have a problem with, O Arians of the Asshead clan, is why not put Redman in - remember him, your SHORT YARDAGE BACK - at least once in 4 tries?  Mendy was running well, but I think Red puts one in.

As it was, the ssecondary strategy of pinning them deep worked as we got the ball back immediately in near FG range.  That is, until Kemo BuFus another drive with a penalty.

Well, I guess in December it's the win that counts.  But heavy cost potentially.  Early report Ben and Pounce both with high ankle sprains.  Ben will likely will himself to play, but with Pouncey I sit him unless he's basically 100%.  Give it 2 1/2 weeks to heal.

Agree with all that.  Kemo should be benched soon, IMO.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Dec 09, 2011 at 09:32 »

I would have kicked the FG, but I was OK with Tomlin going for it.  I wouldn't have run basically the same fuking play 4 times though.

And, after Ben got hurt, how about some sort of a pitch to Mendenhall instead of Ben killing himself to hand off on a stretch play?  Kinda like the first game Ben played on the broken foot was the 1st time in 2 years Arians calls a boot leg.

I hope that fat fuk is wandering around Brooklyn soon and meets Penso's "friends".  What an incomprehensible idiot.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Dec 09, 2011 at 10:49 »

And I've also said it before, Tomlin underwhelms me with his in-game coaching.  That decision to go for it on 4th and goal, while moot, was atrocious.  It was an absolutely awful decision.  Why?  Because he gave the Browns the one thing they needed, an opportunity for a big play, something to rally around.  If you kick the FG they don't have that.  Plus, you go up 7 points on an inferior opponent.  By giving them hope they were a TD away from leading the game.  And damn near did it due to Silverback's personal foul.  It took a great play by Gay to save the day.  The Browns were a play away from leading a game that at best they should have only been tying.

It's things like that.

I'm gonna sheep it up here with you, J and disagree with msdmnr and others.  And, it's not just one of those situations where I'm being results oriented.  I think it was definitely the wrong call.  I can totally appreciate a coach being aggressive and taking chances, but in that instance, up by only 4, you kick the FG.  

Yeah, you've got a great defense and the chances of them going 99 are slim if you don't make it, but you don't put yourself in a position, no matter how slim, where a score by the opposition gives them the lead.  If the score was 10-3 and you want to take a chance then?  Fine.

+1.  However, to his credit, RM was running with a MFing purpose last night.  Still swings the rock around in traffic like it's a goddamned discus, but I appreciated the effort.

A win is a win, but the refereeing was fucking atrocious in this game.  Seems like any time Hochuli has a chance to appear on national tv, he grabs it.

I can only think of a handful of calls that made me say, "WTF?"  The one on Gay late for defensive holding on 2nd or 3rd and long that kept a drive going and gave them the first down.  He barely touched the receiver.  There was also one on Keisel too that was iffy, but I don't remember the circumstances.  Also, the non-call for offensive PI on that bomb to Massoquaoi at the goalline where he kinda shoves Gay past him.  Thankfully, MM dropped the pass.  Other than those, I thought it was OK.  Shit, they called one or two on Thomas for holding Harrison so they must've been doing something right.

A couple other quick points that I wanted to mention.

Remember when Willie Gay, well, sucked?  He could barely hold down the nickel role and was being pushed by Keenan Lewis and others.  For all the talk that Ike gets, Gay might be the best cover guy on the squad.  He plays the ball much better than he used to and he's also a solid tackler.  Quietly, I think he's a big reason why they've improved greatly against the pass.

This isn't anything that Steeler fans don't already know, but Pittsburgh has really found a gem in AB.  He is going to be a fucking stud in this league.  Give him another year or two and he'll be top 10, maybe top 5 in this league.  Put the ball anywhere near him and the kid is money.  Antonio, can you do me a favor though, bruh?  Please stop with the Stonio, hold the ball out at shoulder height and drop it after every first down.  I hated that fucking move when #10 used to do it and it's just as annoying when you do it.  If you gotta do a first down kinda move, please come up with something else.  K?  Thanks.  Much 'preciated.

That shot that Ben took last night was totally on him.  I completely understand that "keeping plays alive" and "extending the play to make something happen" is a big part of his game.  However, at some point, you gotta use your head and either run OOB or throw the ball away.  After he dodged a defender or two and rolled out, he was looking downfield, trying to find someone open.  After holding the ball for what felt like an eternity (had to be at least 7 seconds from the snap), when nothing is there, don't just stand there holding onto the ball.  Guys are still trying to knock your head off.  Take the few yards and step on the chalk or throw it into the 3rd row.  It would be really nice to have you as the QB on this team at least into your mid 30s.  If you keep taking unnecessary shots like the one you took last night, your career is going to be shortened exponentially.  Just ask Troy Aikman.  In certain situations, an incomplete pass is OK.

I thought the Harrison shot was bad, but not as heinous as some announcers/analysts are making it out to be.  Honestly, at the time, I thought McCoy was going to run with it.  In that situation, he's obviously fair game and can be hit in any manner.  Ironic, but whatever...Gocong can stick the crown of his helmet right in Mendy's grill and it's OK, but do it to a QB or a "defenseless receiver" and everybody's got their thong in a twist.  I'd like to think that Harrison thought he'd crossed the LOS already and that's why he went in the way he did, but still, why take the chance?  Go low, lower the shoulder and blast his midsection, just to be safe.  I'm sure you'd get a similar result and it would send an equally imposing message.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #40 on: Dec 09, 2011 at 10:58 »

However, to his credit, RM was running with a MFing purpose last night.  Still swings the rock around in traffic like it's a goddamned discus, but I appreciated the effort.

Agreed on the swinging of the ball. It's just a matter of time.

Was he even getting low on those goal line runs? Redman just seems to be able to squeeze into a crease and make a little progress. Marty Feldman is more of a bouncer...which doesn't really work at the goal line.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #41 on: Dec 09, 2011 at 11:22 »

Was he even getting low on those goal line runs? Redman just seems to be able to squeeze into a crease and make a little progress. Marty Feldman is more of a bouncer...which doesn't really work at the goal line.

You're on da money.  That's why Gocong was able to put the crown of his helmet on his chin a coupla times.  You're not gonna explode through anybody running upright and looking to bounce.  Whoever gets lower usually wins.  That's what Redman does well.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #42 on: Dec 09, 2011 at 13:09 »

And I've also said it before, Tomlin underwhelms me with his in-game coaching.  That decision to go for it on 4th and goal, while moot, was atrocious.  It was an absolutely awful decision.  Why?  Because he gave the Browns the one thing they needed, an opportunity for a big play, something to rally around.  If you kick the FG they don't have that.  Plus, you go up 7 points on an inferior opponent.  By giving them hope they were a TD away from leading the game.  And damn near did it due to Silverback's personal foul.  It took a great play by Gay to save the day.  The Browns were a play away from leading a game that at best they should have only been tying.

It's things like that.

I'm gonna sheep it up here with you, J and disagree with msdmnr and others.  And, it's not just one of those situations where I'm being results oriented.  I think it was definitely the wrong call.  I can totally appreciate a coach being aggressive and taking chances, but in that instance, up by only 4, you kick the FG. 

Yeah, you've got a great defense and the chances of them going 99 are slim if you don't make it, but you don't put yourself in a position, no matter how slim, where a score by the opposition gives them the lead.  If the score was 10-3 and you want to take a chance then?  Fine.

Yes, it wasn't the fact that they went for it but the situation that was wrong.

I'd like to think that Harrison thought he'd crossed the LOS already and that's why he went in the way he did, but still, why take the chance?  Go low, lower the shoulder and blast his midsection, just to be safe.  I'm sure you'd get a similar result and it would send an equally imposing message.

I thought the same thing watching it, pretty sure McCoy was across the LOS.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #43 on: Dec 09, 2011 at 13:33 »

I'd like to think that Harrison thought he'd crossed the LOS already and that's why he went in the way he did, but still, why take the chance?  Go low, lower the shoulder and blast his midsection, just to be safe.  I'm sure you'd get a similar result and it would send an equally imposing message.

I thought the same thing watching it, pretty sure McCoy was across the LOS.

He was about a yard short, but he had tucked the ball and gave the appearance of being a runner.  At the last second, he flips it out to the WR.  

James Harrison Huge Hit on Colt McCoy

To me, he's no longer a QB in that sitch, he's a running back.  This is going to be an issue in the future if you've got QBs out there running the option.  I'm interested to hear douchebag's interpretation of this.  I assume he's just gonna appease the masses and impose a 50-100K fine because all of the media outlets are calling for Harrison's head on a platter.  He and the Steelers are dirty and mean and they hit too hard and they're dirty...and stuff.

Goddamned pussies.

I miss the "Jacked Up!" segment on ESPN.
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2011 at 13:39 by aj_law » Logged

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #44 on: Dec 09, 2011 at 14:05 »

I miss the "Jacked Up!" segment on ESPN.

True dat.  But I don't miss the fat guy calling it.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #45 on: Dec 09, 2011 at 16:48 »

Yes, it wasn't the fact that they went for it but the situation that was wrong.

I definitely can see the merit in kicking a FG there, and don't fault that logic.  But I would simply prefer to go for it and be up 4 where they still need a TD from 99 yards out, instead of ball at 30 still only down one score.  If we're up 7 in that situation, I actually would advocate kicking it to go up 2 scores, so I'm total opposite on you in this sitch.

As far as the Hoculi thing, the only really weird camera-hogging moment I remember was when for some bizarre reason he launched into a detailed explanation of why a team was declining a penalty.  However, for some weird reason I didn't have sound for most of the first half, so can't comment on what was said then.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #46 on: Dec 09, 2011 at 18:33 »

Does NFLN make a little more effort to catch all the sounds of the game?

THAT'S FUCKING HOLDING, THAT'S FUCKING HOLDING!!!!
Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: