Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 27, 2014 at 18:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 14 - Dec 8 - Cleveland  (Read 5555 times)
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 09:57 »

Can we beat the Pats twice in one season?
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 10:14 »

BTW, Browns actually have a pretty solid pass D.  173.3 YPG allowed is tops in the league, and Steelers are second at 176.8 (average = 230.1).  Fifth in the league in completion percentage allowed at 55.7%, Steelers are sixth at 57.0% (avg. = 60.2%).  Passer rating allowed is 9th in league, 79.4, while the Steelers are 6th, 77.1 (avg. = 82.3).

Running D sucks tho.  Steelers YPG allowed is 7th with 96.9, but Browns are 31st at 151.3 (ave. = 115.3).  Teams have run on the Browns 409 times, second only to Indy with 418.  They're 22nd in the league at YPC allowed with 4.4, right around what Philly allows.

Over/under on carries for the backs?  Because you know Arians will fuck it up.  I say Mendy 15, Redman 3. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 10:19 »

Can we beat the Pats twice in one season?

Can we?  Sure. 

I wouldn't bet on it though.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 11:03 »

The 6 v. 3 would be a tough call, if Bengals and Texans could go either way.  I would hope we would crush Tebow, but if the Texans strugglew with a rookie QB and the Bengals win, the next round would be Beangals at Pats and Steelers at Ravens.  Bengals upset Beardy, Steelers get revenge, we could host the AFCC against the Bengals. 

Interesting scenario there.  Man, if they play the Broncos in the WC I'd actually be a bit nervous - what with playing down to the competition and the fact that the Broncos have a pretty good defense.  What if The Tebow has the ball last?  Santa help us.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 11:13 »

The 6 v. 3 would be a tough call, if Bengals and Texans could go either way.  I would hope we would crush Tebow, but if the Texans strugglew with a rookie QB and the Bengals win, the next round would be Beangals at Pats and Steelers at Ravens.  Bengals upset Beardy, Steelers get revenge, we could host the AFCC against the Bengals. 

Interesting scenario there.  Man, if they play the Broncos in the WC I'd actually be a bit nervous - what with playing down to the competition and the fact that the Broncos have a pretty good defense.  What if The Tebow has the ball last?  Santa help us.

Also, no Ryan Clark in Denver, remember?  Broncos down 4, 27 seconds remain, Tebow with the ball, turning the corner, he could... go... all... the... BAM!  92 crushes the fucker, Tebow coughs up the ball and a few teeth, Keisel scoops it and runs it 80 yards to seal the win.  Afterwards, Tebow goes to one knee and thanks God he still has 30 teeth left.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 11:17 »

Mmmm..."playoffs"...

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 11:31 »

Not too bad, since this been what other teams would refer to as a building year.  On D, we've had Hood take over for Smith; Snacks has been absent some and we've played with McClendon at nose a bit; Keisel, Harrison, Woodley, and Pola have all missed time as well; Keenan Lewis has pushed McFadden to STs.  On O, the OL has been a regular carousel, with Jon Scott replaced now by Max Starks, with some weeks the LT duties manned by Gilbert or Essex; RT had Colon to start and has Gilbert now; Pouncey's had some dings; LG has Kemo back, but perhaps not for long; Foster's hurt but may be back; Ben's usual array of injuries; Brown ascending, Ward descending the depth, with Sanders filling out the starting trio; some peeks at Jon Dwyer and Wes Saunders...  Every year has injuries, but this seems to be a youth movement bubbling up.  But we're the old team, right?

Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 12:36 »

Suppose we lose to San Fran without a loss from Baltimore, putting us two games down, effectively wrapping up the division for the Ravens. How would we handle the last two games, against the Rams and Browns? Would we rest some veterans for the playoff run?

There won't be much difference between being a 5th or 6th seed, this year. There are no teams to worry about playing in the first round, except possibly Oakland, but they look they're screwing up their opportunity. Then we'll face back-to-back road games with Balty and NE if we move forward.

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 15:06 »

BTW, Browns actually have a pretty solid pass D.  173.3 YPG allowed is tops in the league, and Steelers are second at 176.8 (average = 230.1).  Fifth in the league in completion percentage allowed at 55.7%, Steelers are sixth at 57.0% (avg. = 60.2%).  Passer rating allowed is 9th in league, 79.4, while the Steelers are 6th, 77.1 (avg. = 82.3).

Running D sucks tho.  Steelers YPG allowed is 7th with 96.9, but Browns are 31st at 151.3 (ave. = 115.3).  Teams have run on the Browns 409 times, second only to Indy with 418.  They're 22nd in the league at YPC allowed with 4.4, right around what Philly allows.

ALways the age old question.  Does their pass D look good because it's good, or because they suck so bad against the run teams don't pass?  The top 10 in completion % and passer rating against speak to a good defense, but again it's possible opponents are only passing in obvious situations which would help their numbers. 
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 15:59 »

ALways the age old question.  Does their pass D look good because it's good, or because they suck so bad against the run teams don't pass?  The top 10 in completion % and passer rating against speak to a good defense, but again it's possible opponents are only passing in obvious situations which would help their numbers. 

At some point, if a team really has no pass defense, an OC will come along and blow them up.  I haven’t really seen that so far this season.  Their DTs, Ahtyba Rubin and Phil Taylor, clock in at a combined 7 bills.  They will get serious push up the middle.  Taylor was a NT I especially liked in last year’s draft, and from the UT spot he’s notched 4 sacks already, while Rubin has 3 sacks.  Jabaal Sheard has 5.5 sacks working out of LDE, so Gilbert will have his hands full with the speed rush.  Really, the entire OL will be tested. 

D’Qwell Jackson is a frenetic tackler, 112 tackles thus far.  A couple of wily vets flesh out the secondary, with former Niner Mike Adams at FS and former Eagle Sheldon Brown at CB.  But the real shutdown guy is Joe Haden, who will probably draw Wallace.  Haden is pretty damned impressive.

We’ll need to get some mismatches from Miller against the LBs, and from Brown and Sanders against the DB depth, and hit guys fast.  I have a feeling the OL will be tested this week, even more than usual.  Dalton put 270 yards passing on this D, but no one’s cracked 300 yards this year.  They’ve only allowed 200+ four times this year, but then again, LOC is a BIG question mark:  the only QBs worth a shit have been Hasselbeck (meh), 220 yards, Dalton, 173 and 270, and Schaub, 119. 

If we can get an offensive rhythm going (I know, I know) and wear down their big uglies, we can crack this shit wide open.  If they get us into a slow-moving slopfest, ugh.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: