Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 21, 2014 at 03:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 14 - Dec 8 - Cleveland  (Read 5000 times)
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 20:12 »

They do have solid defensive players, and their scoring defense isn't bad at 20 points a game (9th).  Main problem for them is they are severely offensively challenged, scoring 14.6 per (28th).

Teams are running on them 56% of the time, which I'm guessing is way above league average; although they are losing, so teams obviously run more (59% runs against in their losses; 42% in wins).

Looks like Denver in the sense that defense keeps them in it, waiting for offense to get in gear.  Unlike Denver, offense rarely does.

As noted, hope to wear them down, although a couple big plays would be nice. 

Ravens were statistically dominant, but only scored 17 points on offense.  Only 1 TO and 4 penalties, but missed 2 FG, so could have been worse.  Ran all over them - 55 rushes(!) at 5.3 per.

Looking like a 20-6 kind of game.  Never totally out of reach, but never a sense that we're in any real danger.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2011 at 10:29 »

Running D sucks tho.  Steelers YPG allowed is 7th with 96.9, but Browns are 31st at 151.3 (ave. = 115.3).  Teams have run on the Browns 409 times, second only to Indy with 418.  They're 22nd in the league at YPC allowed with 4.4, right around what Philly allows.

Over/under on carries for the backs?  Because you know Arians will fuck it up.  I say Mendy 15, Redman 3. 

I get what you're sayin', but the problem is that Pittsburgh isn't the kind of team that can just line up and run the ball 35+ times and be effective.  They need to pass to set up the run so hopefully Ben can open things up a little which will give Mendenhall some room to dance.  If they elect to just come out in their big sets and try to run gut or traps or off tackle left, Mendenhall's stat line will look something like 11 carries for 29 yards at the half.  Spread those bitches out early, then hit 'em hard when they're back on their heels.  *giggity*  There's a lotta youth in that front seven.  Take advantage of that exuberance with RB/TE screens and delayed draws from passing sets.

They’ve only allowed 200+ four times this year, but then again, LOC is a BIG question mark:  the only QBs worth a shit have been Hasselbeck (meh), 220 yards, Dalton, 173 and 270, and Schaub, 119. 

If we can get an offensive rhythm going (I know, I know) and wear down their big uglies, we can crack this shit wide open.  If they get us into a slow-moving slopfest, ugh.

How could you possibly forget the Coiffed One?

For fantasy purposes, I hope they follow last week's MO; get up early, pour it on and make it a snoozer by halftime.  While their 20 PPG defense looks decent, most of the "good" teams on their schedule hit the mid twenties, with a couple breaking 30.  I would think Pittsburgh hits 27 and maybe even threaten the 30 mark.  How much will they give up though?  Hillis is back on the field for them (sorta) and he could exploit Pittsburgh's run defense.  If they don't go up early and force Cleveland to put it in McCoy's hands, their ground game will make it interesting.

The line screams take the Browns and the 14 points; intradivisional rivalry game, short week, coming off a big win and maybe feeling a little too good about themselves, looking ahead to next week's MNF matchup with the Niners.  That's why I'm taking the contrarian approach and expecting a blowout win.  30-9.

Looking like a 20-6 kind of game.  Never totally out of reach, but never a sense that we're in any real danger.

That's what my initial gut was telling me too.  I think it's predicated on how they come out early.  Let 'em hang around and it'll be one of those ugly wins.  Throw a 14-0 spot on the scoreboard by the start of the 2nd quarter and it's good night, ladies.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2011 at 10:53 »

They do have solid defensive players, and their scoring defense isn't bad at 20 points a game (9th).  Main problem for them is they are severely offensively challenged, scoring 14.6 per (28th).

Teams are running on them 56% of the time, which I'm guessing is way above league average; although they are losing, so teams obviously run more (59% runs against in their losses; 42% in wins).

Looks like Denver in the sense that defense keeps them in it, waiting for offense to get in gear.  Unlike Denver, offense rarely does.

As noted, hope to wear them down, although a couple big plays would be nice. 

Ravens were statistically dominant, but only scored 17 points on offense.  Only 1 TO and 4 penalties, but missed 2 FG, so could have been worse.  Ran all over them - 55 rushes(!) at 5.3 per.

That's about right.  Good Denver comparison.  Might steal that prediction.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2011 at 12:43 »

Woodman likely out manana.

Fack.

Edit:  Sanders didn't practice yesterday either.  Assume he's out too?

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 15:34 »

About time to start thinking about preparing to get ready to get around to starting those pregame things you do before the game begins in a little while.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 15:40 »

Time to flush da Browns.

How 'bout another shutout?

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #26 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 16:09 »

41-0

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 18:19 »

41-0

Would 38-0 be OK?

VaBchSteelersfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #28 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 19:35 »

OK, that sucked

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #29 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 20:54 »

I could live with it.  But with it at 7-3 going into the half and Ben out, maybe I'll settle fer that.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: