Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 24, 2014 at 04:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 14 - Dec 8 - Cleveland  (Read 4799 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #30 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 22:16 »

I've said it before, we may have something with that Brown guy.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #31 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 22:19 »

And I've also said it before, Tomlin underwhelms me with his in-game coaching.  That decision to go for it on 4th and goal, while moot, was atrocious.  It was an absolutely awful decision.  Why?  Because he gave the Browns the one thing they needed, an opportunity for a big play, something to rally around.  If you kick the FG they don't have that.  Plus, you go up 7 points on an inferior opponent.  By giving them hope they were a TD away from leading the game.  And damn near did it due to Silverback's personal foul.  It took a great play by Gay to save the day.  The Browns were a play away from leading a game that at best they should have only been tying.

It's things like that.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #32 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 22:21 »

And what is this sick tendency the Steelers have to play with their food?

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 22:41 »

From the 3 and in, I'll take #33 over #34.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 22:48 »

Well, the defense and Ben's guts save Arians from his own pathetic, moronic, clueless ass.

Come out at halftime and we're absolutely gashing the 31st rated D with the run.  5,7, 10 yard runs.  Ben can barely walk.  So what do we do?  We need to start passing again.  Killed nearly every drive with an incompletion or penaly on passing play (or INT).

And jonz, I hear what you're saying about the call on 4th and goal, but I didn't have a problem with that.  Yes, you can get a big play, but odds of them driving 99 yards on us were extremely slim.  And I had no problem with calling for a run 4 times against that run D.  What I did have a problem with, O Arians of the Asshead clan, is why not put Redman in - remember him, your SHORT YARDAGE BACK - at least once in 4 tries?  Mendy was running well, but I think Red puts one in.

As it was, the ssecondary strategy of pinning them deep worked as we got the ball back immediately in near FG range.  That is, until Kemo BuFus another drive with a penalty.

Well, I guess in December it's the win that counts.  But heavy cost potentially.  Early report Ben and Pounce both with high ankle sprains.  Ben will likely will himself to play, but with Pouncey I sit him unless he's basically 100%.  Give it 2 1/2 weeks to heal.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Dec 08, 2011 at 23:27 »

A win is a win, but the refereeing was fucking atrocious in this game.  Seems like any time Hochuli has a chance to appear on national tv, he grabs it.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Dec 09, 2011 at 08:39 »

This.

Plus BA's playbook is ridiculous. Asinine. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Dec 09, 2011 at 08:58 »

Well, the defense and Ben's guts save Arians from his own pathetic, moronic, clueless ass.

Come out at halftime and we're absolutely gashing the 31st rated D with the run.  5,7, 10 yard runs.  Ben can barely walk.  So what do we do?  We need to start passing again.  Killed nearly every drive with an incompletion or penaly on passing play (or INT).

And jonz, I hear what you're saying about the call on 4th and goal, but I didn't have a problem with that.  Yes, you can get a big play, but odds of them driving 99 yards on us were extremely slim.  And I had no problem with calling for a run 4 times against that run D.  What I did have a problem with, O Arians of the Asshead clan, is why not put Redman in - remember him, your SHORT YARDAGE BACK - at least once in 4 tries?  Mendy was running well, but I think Red puts one in.

As it was, the ssecondary strategy of pinning them deep worked as we got the ball back immediately in near FG range.  That is, until Kemo BuFus another drive with a penalty.

Well, I guess in December it's the win that counts.  But heavy cost potentially.  Early report Ben and Pounce both with high ankle sprains.  Ben will likely will himself to play, but with Pouncey I sit him unless he's basically 100%.  Give it 2 1/2 weeks to heal.

Agree with all that.  Kemo should be benched soon, IMO.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Dec 09, 2011 at 09:32 »

I would have kicked the FG, but I was OK with Tomlin going for it.  I wouldn't have run basically the same fuking play 4 times though.

And, after Ben got hurt, how about some sort of a pitch to Mendenhall instead of Ben killing himself to hand off on a stretch play?  Kinda like the first game Ben played on the broken foot was the 1st time in 2 years Arians calls a boot leg.

I hope that fat fuk is wandering around Brooklyn soon and meets Penso's "friends".  What an incomprehensible idiot.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Dec 09, 2011 at 10:49 »

And I've also said it before, Tomlin underwhelms me with his in-game coaching.  That decision to go for it on 4th and goal, while moot, was atrocious.  It was an absolutely awful decision.  Why?  Because he gave the Browns the one thing they needed, an opportunity for a big play, something to rally around.  If you kick the FG they don't have that.  Plus, you go up 7 points on an inferior opponent.  By giving them hope they were a TD away from leading the game.  And damn near did it due to Silverback's personal foul.  It took a great play by Gay to save the day.  The Browns were a play away from leading a game that at best they should have only been tying.

It's things like that.

I'm gonna sheep it up here with you, J and disagree with msdmnr and others.  And, it's not just one of those situations where I'm being results oriented.  I think it was definitely the wrong call.  I can totally appreciate a coach being aggressive and taking chances, but in that instance, up by only 4, you kick the FG.  

Yeah, you've got a great defense and the chances of them going 99 are slim if you don't make it, but you don't put yourself in a position, no matter how slim, where a score by the opposition gives them the lead.  If the score was 10-3 and you want to take a chance then?  Fine.

+1.  However, to his credit, RM was running with a MFing purpose last night.  Still swings the rock around in traffic like it's a goddamned discus, but I appreciated the effort.

A win is a win, but the refereeing was fucking atrocious in this game.  Seems like any time Hochuli has a chance to appear on national tv, he grabs it.

I can only think of a handful of calls that made me say, "WTF?"  The one on Gay late for defensive holding on 2nd or 3rd and long that kept a drive going and gave them the first down.  He barely touched the receiver.  There was also one on Keisel too that was iffy, but I don't remember the circumstances.  Also, the non-call for offensive PI on that bomb to Massoquaoi at the goalline where he kinda shoves Gay past him.  Thankfully, MM dropped the pass.  Other than those, I thought it was OK.  Shit, they called one or two on Thomas for holding Harrison so they must've been doing something right.

A couple other quick points that I wanted to mention.

Remember when Willie Gay, well, sucked?  He could barely hold down the nickel role and was being pushed by Keenan Lewis and others.  For all the talk that Ike gets, Gay might be the best cover guy on the squad.  He plays the ball much better than he used to and he's also a solid tackler.  Quietly, I think he's a big reason why they've improved greatly against the pass.

This isn't anything that Steeler fans don't already know, but Pittsburgh has really found a gem in AB.  He is going to be a fucking stud in this league.  Give him another year or two and he'll be top 10, maybe top 5 in this league.  Put the ball anywhere near him and the kid is money.  Antonio, can you do me a favor though, bruh?  Please stop with the Stonio, hold the ball out at shoulder height and drop it after every first down.  I hated that fucking move when #10 used to do it and it's just as annoying when you do it.  If you gotta do a first down kinda move, please come up with something else.  K?  Thanks.  Much 'preciated.

That shot that Ben took last night was totally on him.  I completely understand that "keeping plays alive" and "extending the play to make something happen" is a big part of his game.  However, at some point, you gotta use your head and either run OOB or throw the ball away.  After he dodged a defender or two and rolled out, he was looking downfield, trying to find someone open.  After holding the ball for what felt like an eternity (had to be at least 7 seconds from the snap), when nothing is there, don't just stand there holding onto the ball.  Guys are still trying to knock your head off.  Take the few yards and step on the chalk or throw it into the 3rd row.  It would be really nice to have you as the QB on this team at least into your mid 30s.  If you keep taking unnecessary shots like the one you took last night, your career is going to be shortened exponentially.  Just ask Troy Aikman.  In certain situations, an incomplete pass is OK.

I thought the Harrison shot was bad, but not as heinous as some announcers/analysts are making it out to be.  Honestly, at the time, I thought McCoy was going to run with it.  In that situation, he's obviously fair game and can be hit in any manner.  Ironic, but whatever...Gocong can stick the crown of his helmet right in Mendy's grill and it's OK, but do it to a QB or a "defenseless receiver" and everybody's got their thong in a twist.  I'd like to think that Harrison thought he'd crossed the LOS already and that's why he went in the way he did, but still, why take the chance?  Go low, lower the shoulder and blast his midsection, just to be safe.  I'm sure you'd get a similar result and it would send an equally imposing message.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: