Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 20, 2014 at 17:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 [13]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 8 - Oct 30 - New England  (Read 5318 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #120 on: Oct 31, 2011 at 12:04 »

Again, great performance all around, from the top on down...except for Squeeze 'Em.  WTF has happened to him, anyway?  He used to be pretty reliable and consistent.  Now, every attempt, regardless of distance, is a nailbiter.

Props to the coaching staff.  They earned their paychecks this week.  Great to see that they didn't ease off the accelerator following what I thought, to date, was their best overall performance of the year against Steelers West.

Offense was clicking like a German engine.  The quick strikes were fun to watch.  That's about as good a rhythm that I've ever seen #7 play the QB position.  Three step drop...BAM!  Five step drop...BAM!  Calculated.  Precise.  The 55 yard bomb might be prettier, but there's a lot to be said for just methodically carving up a defense with maniacal precision.  That front five has really stepped it up too; that their resurgence coincides with Starks' return is no mistake.  He's done an excellent job on the blind side.  It doesn't hurt matters when the gameplan consists of several quick hit, underneath and crossing patterns.

Defensively, Woodley has really stepped it up.  How he can continue to be as disruptive without #92 on the other side is mind bottling.  Even when they key on him, he seems to spend an awful lot of time in the opposing team's backfield.  When he went out, the pressure on Beardy didn't.  Sweet.  Also nice to see Hamp back in the swing.  The game ball on this side (or, maybe shared with Woodley) goes to the secondary.  I realize that they switched things up and played a lot of man/press coverage against New England, but saying you're going to do something and actually being able to pull it off against one of the more prolific offenses in the league is a completely different story.  Taylor really seemed like the only guy that wasn't totally comfortable in that role.  Still, props to the coaching staff (and to Mr. Wakadamus for calling it) on the decision to shift approaches and a huge, group chest bump to that group.

Nice fucking job.

I fucking want this one.  Bad.

I'd almost be willing to trade another loss to the Ratties for a win on Sunday.

C'mon.  The motherfucking Chargers had 'em dead to rights at the Razor if it wasn't for all the goddamned turnovers.

They need to get charged up mentally.  Screw the mystique.  Screw the hype.  Screw the goddamned myth that they're unbeatable.

Protect.  This.  HOUSE.

Let's Go!  LET'S GO!!  LET'S MOTHERFUCKING GO!!!!

Also, good to see that the pep talk and picking against them worked.

HIMA TEEM PLAYR!!!!!!!1111  WAIRS YOR GOD NOW BRADYIZGOD?///// HEZ TRYINK TO GIT THUH LISESS PLATE OFF THAT TRANE THAT JUS WHOOPED HIZ ARSE!!!11  I KNOW TRANES DONUT HALF PLATEZ BUTT THAS HOW STOOPIT UR GOD IZ,,,HES STIL WOOKIN FOUR IT..........TANK U SO MUSH,...NESSST!!!!!1 

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #121 on: Oct 31, 2011 at 14:01 »

Am I dreaming?  Where was this team week 1?  I had basically written this game off, and then they come out and turn what has historically been a gross mismatch on its head.  I wanted to see quick-hitter passes underneath, using plenty of Miller, and enough running game to keep the chains moving, and BAM!  Arians basically does that, some late-game shit aside.  I want us to go fast, go man cover, and emphasize some of the younger players, and BAM!  LeBeau does that. 

Hard to find much fault with Ben's play.  He was getting the ball out quickly, finding the hot reads and not going for the deep kill shot every time.  As noted, as crisp and smart a performance as perhaps ever seen from #7.  The RBs got positive yardage, no big tears, but kept chewing clock and matriculating.  No fancy-assed dancing or holding the ball like a fucking discus.  Miller was killer.  Can't find much to bitch about as far as the wideouts, either.  Cotchery makes his first catch, and it was clutch.  But this is all about the next gen, all respect to Hines.  Still want to see Sanders step up a bit more, but overall, the dynamic of Wallace, Brown, and Sanders as your WR1-3 is zippy.

OL was mostly good.  Still think Legursky should start over Kemo when healthy.  Kemo is just not as aware, and I think his knee is making him lose power battles.  Which makes him good for what, exactly?  Having the Gator trio man the middle and ends is working pretty damned well though, and Foster is doing fine.

I was very pleased with the front 7, getting pressure without having to blitz.  Hood and Keisel really kept the heat on, and Woodley continues to excel playing alongside Hood.  That’s a nice combo.  Stevenson Sylvester came in and really did nothing to embarrass himself.  Farrior’s got the wily vet experience, but Sly has some long-missing speed.  Foote actually played a solid game, though.

The DBs continue to impress me.  I thought Ike, Lewis, and Gay are beginning to gel, even though Lewis got burned on the one TD, but he and Ike form a nice outside duo, and Gay is excelling inside.  Pola was a pure freak as usual, but LeBeau using him closer to the LOS was great.  I basically called for him to play ILB in the dime, and that’s sort of the zone he patrolled.  Ferociously.  Clark was Clark.  Bryant McFadden, nice knowin’ ya.  Cortez Allen even made some playing time, so McFadden is done here.  Enjoy playing special teams.

The kickers were less spectacular.  Suisham continues to drive us all slowly mad.  Sepulveda was not impressive either. 

BA called one of his best games, as did LeBeau.  To what extent the playcalling on offense was Ben and to what Brucie, I could give a fuck.  He needs to get rid of those hitch passes into the flat that go nowhere, and the playcalling at the very end was shaky, but this was Bruce at his best, so I’ll take it.  Some clock issues continue to haunt Tomlin, but that’s never been his strength.  His job primarily takes place during the week, and he had all the players and coordinators on the same page.

Long view:  Probably the best game this team has played since 2008, and certainly the one of the nobler efforts versus the Patsies.   We seem to be improving each week, so the idea that we were winning against the chumps of the league no longer computes.  On the flipside, the Ravens’ offensive shitfest becomes clearer by the week, so as we progress they devolve.  Still, next week will be a tough-fought test against the despised Rattie defense, and then the following week we get the 5-2 Bengals, who are also in the division race thanks to a good defense, solid running, and competent rookie QB play.  To go into the bye 8-2 would be sweet, and would put us in a good spot for the post (Ravens and Bengals at best 7-3 when we come out of the bye).  Seems to me as we explore the how well some of the younger players fit (K. Lewis, Z. Hood, M. Gilbert, E. Sanders, A. Brown, S. Sylverster, K. Lewis) we’re seeing the future of this team emerge from the old.  Kudos to Carnell Lake for really getting the DBs to ratchet up their play.  Kugler has also again gotten an average group of talent to mesh.  Steelers definitely emerging as one of the better AFC teams again.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #122 on: Nov 07, 2011 at 09:15 »

I fucking want this one.  Bad.

I'd almost be willing to trade another loss to the Ratties for a win on Sunday.

I sit corrected.  I did say "almost," tho.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #123 on: Nov 07, 2011 at 09:25 »

Fucker.  Couldn't you have picked the St. Louis game instead?

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 ... 12 [13]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: