Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 30, 2014 at 08:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 7 - Oct 23 @ Arizona  (Read 2792 times)
Robotman
Administrator
No longer a N00b!

« on: Aug 15, 2011 at 09:11 »

Steelers vs. Steelers West
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2011 at 09:01 by Robotman » Logged
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2011 at 10:27 »

Cards are really, really bad, but so were the Jags.  Really need to win this to stay close to the Ravens (and, FFS, tied with the... Bengals?!).  Oh, and Patriots and Ravens are on board, 10/30 4:15 for the Pats, 11/6 8:20 for the Rats.  As for the carousel of dings:

Quote from: Chuck Finder
Rookie starting OT Marcus Gilbert (shoulder) is expected to return to practice, but Mike Tomlin isn’t sure if Gilbert will be ready to play Sunday, depending on his practice time. Same for former starting OG Chris Kemoeatu (knee). DE Aaron Smith (foot) and NT Casey Hampton (shoulder) won’t return this week.

Jon Scott's been passable at RT, but would prefer the rook to come back and improve.  Be fine to have Kemo out if Legursky were the LT, but since it's Essex, can't say it matters one way or the other.  The Hampton injury remains significant because...

Quote from: Chuck Finder
With Casey Hampton (shoulder) still out, the stinger to backup NT Chris Hoke bears attention this week. “He’s got to regain that strength in his shoulder before we can move on,” Mike Tomlin said. Third-teamer Steve McLendon could start and make his longest NFL Steelers playing stint yet.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2011 at 10:32 »

The injuries to Hokie and Hampton had a ripple effect on the PS:

Quote from: Steelers Depot
The Steelers made a few practice squad moves today as they released running back Tristan Davis and linebacker Mortty Ivy and signed safety Da’mon Cromartie-Smith and defensive tackle Elisha Joseph to take their places.

Davis was signed prior to the week 5 game against the Titans to emulate running back Chris Johnson on the scout team. Ivy was with the Steelers during training camp this past offseason. Cromartie-Smith now returns as the Steelers likely want depth in case Troy Polamalu were to have a setback with his concussion this week. Joseph is an undrafted rookie free-agent defensive tackle out of Temple and spent the preseason with the Packers. He measured in at 6-foot-2, 290 pounds at his Pro Day back in March and ran the 40-yard dash in just over 5 seconds flat. He also completed 43 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press. He started all 12 games at nose tackle for the Temple as a senior..

Hope we sign Ivy back at some point.  And every team should have some member of the Chickens-Cromartie clan on their roster. 

NT Eli Joseph is an interesting find.  Off my draft radar not due to height but rather weight.  But...  ran close to 5.0 40, so he's got some mobility, and he put the bar up 43 times, so 3-4 NT strength.  Played beside Muhammed Wilkerson (who's doing well, BTW), and didn't get the flash plays but apparently was a solid anchor. 

Quote from: Finder
Doug Legursky – who started at both OGs and backed up C – underwent surgery on a dislocated toe and will miss at least two weeks, Mike Tomlin said. The Steelers will play with their seventh starting OL combination in seven weeks Sunday.

Defensive Player of the Year Troy Polamalu “appears to be good to go,” Mike Tomlin said Tuesday at his news conference. “He did a concussion test, and he passed it. He met with our neurosurgeon [Dr. Joseph Maroon], and he’s very comfortable where he is.” He is expected to start Sunday in Arizona.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2011 at 12:11 »

Cards are really, really bad, but so were the Jags.  Really need to win this to stay close to the Ravens (and, FFS, tied with the... Bengals?!).  Oh, and Patriots and Ravens are on board, 10/30 4:15 for the Pats, 11/6 8:20 for the Rats. 

Yeah, after Arizona, the next three leading up to the bye is definitely the tough part of their schedule.

Gotta beat the teams yer supposed to beat if they want to make the playoffs.

Still, as bad as the Cards are, they tend to put up a better fight at home in the desert.  Plus, Whizzy seems to always have them ready to play Pittsburgh.  Not to mention that with Pittsburgh facing the Pastries next week, I could see this one as their tarp game.  They seem to always lose one of these kinds of games a year.

With Casey Hampton (shoulder) still out, the stinger to backup NT Chris Hoke bears attention this week. “He’s got to regain that strength in his shoulder before we can move on,” Mike Tomlin said. Third-teamer Steve McLendon could start and make his longest NFL Steelers playing stint yet.

As if the front seven needed more issues.  Have a sinking feeling that Beanie is going to have a good day on Sunday.

The Steelers made a few practice squad moves today as they released running back Tristan Davis and linebacker Mortty Ivy and signed safety Da’mon Cromartie-Smith and defensive tackle Elisha Joseph to take their places.

So, Pittsburgh has decided to go with cheerleaders?  I loved her work in The Girl Next Door.

He measured in at 6-foot-2, 290 pounds at his Pro Day back in March and ran the 40-yard dash in just over 5 seconds flat.

A 5.0 40 for a NT?  I think that qualifies as lose the left nut fast.

He also completed 43 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press. He started all 12 games at nose tackle for the Temple as a senior.

I think there's an average to slightly above average chance that he ends up making the 53 man.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2011 at 12:28 »

Yeah, a 5.0 40 is insane for a big man like that.  Feed that sucker a few pancakes and get him on the roster.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2011 at 12:30 »

I worry about this game with the Steelers possibly looking ahead one week and the Cards having two weeks to prepare.

But on the other hand: are we not fucking due for some turnovers by the defense? That's basically what I'm banking on.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2011 at 14:56 »

But on the other hand: are we not fucking due for some turnovers by the defense? That's basically what I'm banking on.

If my math is correct, they are dead MFing last in takeaways in the league.

Weren't they +20 and change last year?  Pretty sure they were near the top in turnover margin.  How they're 4-2 despite that is pretty remarkable, actually.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2011 at 15:48 »

7 turnovers in the Ratties game.

If you eliminate those, and Dwyer's 76-yard run, you got somethin' there, Bub.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2011 at 19:12 »

7 turnovers in the Ratties game.

If you eliminate those, and Dwyer's 76-yard run, you got somethin' there, Bub.

Forget the giveaways.  Steelers have two takeaways this year.  Two.  In six games.  And, three of those six were against some of the worst teams in the league.

That's epic.

Look at it!  Look at it!!

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2011 at 15:05 »

AAron Smith on IR as of Sat.  I'd say that spells the end for Mr. Smith, hello Mr. Hood.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: