Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 21, 2014 at 23:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 6 - Oct 16 - Jacksonville  (Read 3073 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Oct 17, 2011 at 07:58 »

I thought they play calling was a bit... greedy in the second half.  We've often complained of overly conservative play-calling with the lead, but I really saw no reason why seemingly every drive should feature a futile attempt at a 50 yard strike when we competently were working the middle of the field.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pain

« Reply #31 on: Oct 17, 2011 at 09:18 »

I thought they play calling was a bit... greedy in the second half.  We've often complained of overly conservative play-calling with the lead, but I really saw no reason why seemingly every drive should feature a futile attempt at a 50 yard strike when we competently were working the middle of the field.

I agree.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Oct 17, 2011 at 12:27 »

That was my complaint, in a nutshell.  After a mostly decent first half, where we coulda/shoulda been up by more...  All we needed to do was to keep moving the ball smartly down the field, and, ya know, throw another 17 points on the board.  You wanna mix in a downfield shot a couple times?  Fine.  But why was that the bread and butter of our 2H offense?  You don't need to go for the killshot, up 17.  If it fails, you just keep giving the Jags chances, and we did.  It's like, if Arians is down a lot or up a lot, he loses his way and gets all cutesy or random.

The other thought I had was that we were using the 2H as a practice scrimmage to work out timing on some deep routes we haven't used with 84 and 88 as much.  Not that we could work on them during the week or anything.

Good and bad game, pretty much this team in a nutshell.  Still giving up too many rushing yards.  But it will be interesting to see if 84 and 88 become more of a downfield passing threat.

Oh, and the improved/not improved OL used the same damned bread nad butter run play for Mendy's long rush.  So if it works two weeks in a row, can we now count it?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Oct 17, 2011 at 12:56 »

Oh, and if you want to open up the long ball game to 17, 84, and 88, Brucie?

You have to keep an effective ground game and middle game going.  Not just one run, a couple of deep chucks, and punt.

Was it my imagination or did 84 and 88 seem to be opening up the underneath stuff with quick crossing routes and sluggos?  WTF ever happened to that?  Could be wrong, but it seems like all the underneath routes are to 17, 83, and 86; the sideline and deep stuff is to 17, 84, and 88; and that's about it.  No mix and match allowed.  And no Cotchery yet, either.

kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Oct 18, 2011 at 12:59 »

Oh, and the improved/not improved OL used the same damned bread nad butter run play for Mendy's long rush.  So if it works two weeks in a row, can we now count it?

That's exactly what the other team would expect us to do. I'd bet on never seeing it again.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Oct 18, 2011 at 15:21 »

I agree.

That was my complaint, in a nutshell.  After a mostly decent first half, where we coulda/shoulda been up by more...  All we needed to do was to keep moving the ball smartly down the field, and, ya know, throw another 17 points on the board.  You wanna mix in a downfield shot a couple times?  Fine.  But why was that the bread and butter of our 2H offense?  You don't need to go for the killshot, up 17.  If it fails, you just keep giving the Jags chances, and we did.  It's like, if Arians is down a lot or up a lot, he loses his way and gets all cutesy or random.

Gonna sheep it up and agri here too.

Although, I wonder how much of that is on Hairyarms.  I mean, just because the play calls for a skinny post bomb to #17 or #84, does Ben have to actually throw it?  If it's just not there or if there's double coverage, why not check down to Hines or Heath?  It seemed like whenever Ben wanted to, he could get them the ball.  Or, even a dumpoff to a leaking RB?

Don't get me wrong, I ain't lookin' to take the monkey off of Brucey's back, but as I've said before, it just seems like Ben falls in love with the big play.  It's almost as if when he gets decent to good protection in the pocket, he just automatically commits to going downfield.

As to the game, it was obviously a tale of two halves.  Somebody remind the Black and Gold that a football game is 60 minutes. 

Mendenhall finally looked like he was running downhill.  Woodman played angry.  Where has Timmons been?  I was expecting to see a little more from him coming off the edge.  Hopefully Troy is OK.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Oct 18, 2011 at 15:55 »

OK, since we're back to Jax.  Whoever's to blame for all the missed deep throws, why in the fuck would you be throwing long on such a windy day, over and over again?  Does that even make sense?

On Mendy:  He didn't seem to be spinning as much or holding the ball like a fucking sidecar.  That was good to see.

Woodley:  Hate to say this, but I think he's playing better with Zig Hood at LDE.  Four games with Smith (Bal, Sea, Ind, Hou) and 2 with Zigs (Hou, Jax), but tackles per game have gone from 4.0 to 5.5, and sacks have gone from 0.375 to 1.75, almost 500% increase in sacks.

Timmons isn't configured as an OLB, despite the early claims from Colbert and Tomlin.  No pass rush from the outside, just doesn't have the strength.  Inside, he's made bad angles, overshot the action when he gets in the backfield, and has not been stellar against the pass.  In short, his speed's been wasted inside as he appears to have regressed.  Seems like he (and Pola) have made a lot of bad gambles in the running game, trying to catch the runners in the backfield, only Pola has been getting better in his timing, whereas Timmons still gets lost.  Gets washed out by OLmen.  I hope that if the front 7 firms up Timmons plays his assignments a little better, maybe we'll see that run D YPC come down some.

Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #37 on: Oct 19, 2011 at 09:13 »

I can only guess that the long passes - aside from hoping to connect on a few, of course -- was in part designed to keep the safeties back so that the running game could work.

And the run game, aside from a couple of the long runs, wasn't that good, which is one reason why Jax was able to get back into the game a little bit.

Agree totally that Ben hates the checkdown, and should take it a bit more often. I love this about his game - I hate the Schaubs of the world who pile up lovely statistics by completing 100% of their 3rd down throws five yards short of the marker, while we have a guy who will try to throw past the sticks, even if it's 3rd-and-22.

But 3rd-and-22 and 1st-and-10 or 2nd-and-8 are different plays, and adding a little more nuance to his decision-making would not just make him more efficient and consistent, but could open up big-plays in similar situations.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: