Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 28, 2014 at 08:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 4 - Oct 2 @ Houston  (Read 3171 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #30 on: Oct 02, 2011 at 15:12 »

Sadly, that 35-7 whipping in week 1 was the real Steelers.  I don't see what they'll be able to do to fix this mess.  The defense won't get any younger and the OL won't get any better.  They won't fire Bruce Arians.

When was the last time they drafted an impact player?  Wallace was a nice surprise.  Well, I guess Pouncey was a pretty sweet pick, but he's on an island. 

If Kevin Colbert were managing your financial portfolio, you'd be losing your ass.  And he just got a promotion?  People, I don't know why we'd expect things to get better any time soon.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Oct 02, 2011 at 15:22 »

Also, why were throwing all three downs the series before?  Redman is going for positive yardage every time, yet we have to throw the ball on first with 3 minutes to play and the ball at midfield?  Same shit from Arians. 

+1
Its the theory of "don't run the play that works because they're probably expecting it.  Run the same crap they're stuffing over and over because eventually they'll figure we'll stop, and then we'll have them."

That was embarrassing.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Oct 02, 2011 at 15:49 »

Mr. Rooney called in about 3 or 4 Buffalo Wild Wing plays, but we still needed a few more to make it to OT.
bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Oct 02, 2011 at 16:18 »

I'm sick of listening to the Fan or to the #1 Cochran Showdown guys or the DVE postgame and listening to the Kevin Colbert worship.  This guy made the decision to go with Jonathan F-ing Scott and a guy who missed all last season at tackles with a 2nd round pick rookie with no practice time due to the CBA mess as the primary backup, with Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster the #2 and #3 guards to play second fiddle to the #1 guard on the team who got blown up and who's mostly responsible for a pick 6 that cost us the Super Bowl.

Great management of the offensive line.

As for the coaching staff, Arians' playcalling sucks, and Mendenhall is a third down back.  Paul Alexander is the biggest BA supporter, citing the Steelers' players stats as reasoning for his defense of him.  A good offensive coordinator is not someone who takes players capable of good stats and getting them good stats.  A good offensive coordinator gets guys capable of good stats and does what is necessary to elevate their play.  A coach's job is to put his players in the best position for success.  BA does not do that. 

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Oct 02, 2011 at 16:53 »

We may be seeing some major transitions on the filed today, though: Anotonio Brown should be our #2 receiver. Sanders should be #3, Ward to 4.

And Redman, if not moving to starter, should be getting just about as many carries as Mendy.

Hood should replace Smith, too, full-time.

Yep.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Oct 02, 2011 at 16:54 »

Ever hear of bringing a receiver in motion, 3 step drop, hit him in stride?  No?  

And Rashard Mendenhall behind this OLine at least is a 3rd down back.  He reminds me more of Richard Huntley than he does a Steeler starter.  If there is space, he's fine.  Against a base defense when there isn't a huge hole, he's worthless.  Redman at least gets something.

Yes, this.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #36 on: Oct 02, 2011 at 19:57 »

When was the last time they drafted an impact player?  Wallace was a nice surprise.  Well, I guess Pouncey was a pretty sweet pick, but he's on an island. 

If Kevin Colbert were managing your financial portfolio, you'd be losing your ass.  And he just got a promotion?  People, I don't know why we'd expect things to get better any time soon.

His record is definitely spotty. Lots of teams in the NFL put an averagely competent pro offensive line on the field with a couple of 1st- and 2nd-round picks, and a bunch of late draft picks, FA castoffs, players they develop, and so forth. Yet we've been unable to pull this off. With Gilbert, we finally add another high-ish draft pick to the line, but before that, and of course before Pouncey, we had nothing but developmental (to put it kindly) players in front of our Franchise QB.

The failure of the line is partly horrible player evaluation and acquisition, and partly poor coaching and development. Anyone else notice, by the way, that Craig Urbik is starting for the Bills? I have no idea how well he's playing, but given that we have 1.5 starting-quality linemen right now, that seems pretty damning.

As for Colbert's picks, every GM will have their hits and misses, and we've done well considering we pick late in the 1st round every year for a decade now. The questions I have about Colbert's picks:

* He picked Mendenhall in an '08 draft loaded with RBs. This is 20/20 hindsight, but the number of quality backs taken after him is staggering: Chris Johnson, Matt Forte, Ray Rice, Jamaal Charles, Steve Slaton, and I think I'm missing another decent guy or two.

* We've drafted DEs two of the last three years, and while this makes sense as our D-Line is aging, we've stocked a position for depth, basically. In today's NFL, this is a bit of a luxury, and generally, if your first-rounders aren't hitting the field pretty soon, you're sacrificing talent elsewhere. That's what's happened to us.

* Given the above, it's a bit of a mystery why we extended Aaron Smith. Do we see Hood as a replacement for Hampton?
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #37 on: Oct 03, 2011 at 08:25 »

Many good points Manimal.  Yeah, I  don't want to vilify Colbert too much b/c the draft is a systemic thing, but it ultimately falls at his feet.

I agree regarding Mendenhall, RB was not a dire need at that point.  Until you fix your OL, no skill position is a dire need.  As you alluded, fixing your OL doesn't mean you need to spend five 1st round picks, but it does mean you need to keep upgrading till you have a workable mix.

Now I do think Colbert is guilty of one thing that will wreck (has wrecked?) this roster and that's falling in love with the veterans.  Aaron Smith is long in the tooth as well as Casey Hampton.  James Farrior is being spelled by castoff Larry Foote!?  Even the great Troy Polamalu is not the impact player he once was, at least not on a consistent basis.  Not so sure he deserved that extension, but they had little choice since they haven't come close to filling any hole his departure would have left.  Yeah, he won DPOY but that stuff is like the Pro Bowl, make a few high light plays in prime time and your past rep does the rest.  Too many vets have been extended at too high a cost.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Oct 03, 2011 at 08:26 »

Smith just looks slow out there.  I think the only play he made was on his back and the RB tripped over him.  

Troy might win DPOY.  He will more than shine the way the rest of this D is playing.  He might finish the season with 200 tackles.

Atians incompetence, Ben holding the ball, except for the fumbles, and the quality of the o-line is a perfect storm.  I think it was near the end of the 2nd qtr, the D rushed 3 and sacked Ben before he was able to set up and throw.

I can't wait for the next game against the Ravens!!!!!!

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #39 on: Oct 03, 2011 at 08:27 »

Unless you're the Rolling Stones, you can't keep the band together forever.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: