Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 31, 2014 at 05:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 4 - Oct 2 @ Houston  (Read 3749 times)
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #40 on: Oct 03, 2011 at 09:02 »

Not sure what is worse - watching yesterday's game on TV or in the stands (as I presume most of you did), or trying to listen to it on DVE.com on your phone with shitty cell coverage, after getting into a heated argument with the wife during a six-hour jaunt through VA, WV, MD and PA.

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #41 on: Oct 03, 2011 at 09:19 »

A few things I'd like to see.

*Arians shot in the fucking face.
*Keenan Lewis starting opposite Ike.  Seemed to show some goof stuff yesterday, but we'll have 100% back starting again in our sick love of under-performing wily vets.
*Worlids taking snaps in place of Woodley.  Woodley has done exactly shit this year, and maybe seeing that he's not entitled to be starter on the basis of money alone.  Let's just see if Worilds can light a fire under Woodley.
*Sylvester getting PT at ILB.  I thought he looked pretty good in the pre, and he can't be any slower than Farrior.  Again, at least bring him in on obvious passing downs and 3&Ls.
*Get the young guys in on the DL.  Don't just use Hood, but also Heyward and Mac.  Keep the lines fresh.
*Both OL and DL need to work on zone schemes.  Why is our DL being consistently washed out by ZBS this year?  First time we've faced it or something?  Every time I look Casey's getting his legs cut out from under him.  And our OL had a nice stretch play in the running game, which means we'll never try that again, preferring to have our guys clogged up like Elvis's colon.  
*We need an OT.  Gilbert will improve, IMO.  The rest of our guys are shit.  In fact, drop David Johnson and use Redman when you're going FB; bring up Trevis Turner from the PS to get reps at RT; move Gilbert to LT.  Also, Red should be getting most of the 1H carries, period.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Manimal

« Reply #42 on: Oct 03, 2011 at 12:46 »

*Arians shot in the fucking face.
*Keenan Lewis starting opposite Ike.  Seemed to show some goof stuff yesterday, but we'll have 100% back starting again in our sick love of under-performing wily vets.
*Worlids taking snaps in place of Woodley.  Woodley has done exactly shit this year, and maybe seeing that he's not entitled to be starter on the basis of money alone.  Let's just see if Worilds can light a fire under Woodley.
*Sylvester getting PT at ILB.  I thought he looked pretty good in the pre, and he can't be any slower than Farrior.  Again, at least bring him in on obvious passing downs and 3&Ls.
*Get the young guys in on the DL.  Don't just use Hood, but also Heyward and Mac.  Keep the lines fresh.
*Both OL and DL need to work on zone schemes.  Why is our DL being consistently washed out by ZBS this year?  First time we've faced it or something?  Every time I look Casey's getting his legs cut out from under him.  And our OL had a nice stretch play in the running game, which means we'll never try that again, preferring to have our guys clogged up like Elvis's colon.  
*We need an OT.  Gilbert will improve, IMO.  The rest of our guys are shit.  In fact, drop David Johnson and use Redman when you're going FB; bring up Trevis Turner from the PS to get reps at RT; move Gilbert to LT.  Also, Red should be getting most of the 1H carries, period.

Good points. I'm so disappointed in Woodley, but I hold out hope that once he's used to being super-rich for a while, his interest in actually playing football well will return.

I'd also add that I'd like to see Ben tweak his game a little bit. Anyone paying attention has been saying this for years, so it's not going to happen, but would still like to see more willingness to dump it off, throw quick stuff, and generally not try to pull an Elway every second play.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #43 on: Oct 03, 2011 at 14:15 »

What I'd like to see?

Something...different .

Line can't block worth a shit?  Run the fucking spread offense.  Go shotgun every down.  Throw it 50 fuckin' times.  Go no huddle every other series.  WTFever.

It's pretty goddamned obvious that the usual shit isn't working so change it up.  Running Mendenhall in the A gap obviously isn't working.  Shit, running Mendenhall at all really isn't working.

Serious changes need to be made.  You're pretty limited with what you can do personnel~wise, so you're gonna have to dip into that bag 'o tricks and pull out a new, revamped gameplan or we might see people starting to reference Pittsburgh as a contender in the Luck sweepstakes.

Mike, ****ie, Bruce, time to earn those paychecks, boys.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #44 on: Oct 03, 2011 at 14:58 »

Well, the standard is the standard, and we're just going to go with the guys we have on the offensive line right now.  Time to unleash hell.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #45 on: Oct 03, 2011 at 15:07 »

It is what it is and it ain't what it's not.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #46 on: Oct 03, 2011 at 15:16 »

There's a fine line.  And that's nothing that doesn't need to be said.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #47 on: Oct 03, 2011 at 15:40 »

We've got a big windshield and a small rear-view mirror.  Maybe the small rear-view mirror just makes the windshield look bigger, I don't know.  One day the fuckin' rear-view just falls the motherfuck off, so I take it into the shop and I swear they glued some baby arm motherfucking rear-view on in place of the rear-view I used to have.  Probably some chick drivin' a Geo somewhere wondering why she can't see past her rear-view because it's almost as big as her whole windshield.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #48 on: Oct 03, 2011 at 15:45 »

We emphasize positional flexibility, and that's what we're going to use to solve this so-called offensive line issue.  Kama Sutras for everyone.

Manimal

« Reply #49 on: Oct 03, 2011 at 16:27 »

I'm sick of listening to the Fan or to the #1 Cochran Showdown guys or the DVE postgame and listening to the Kevin Colbert worship.  This guy made the decision to go with Jonathan F-ing Scott and a guy who missed all last season at tackles with a 2nd round pick rookie with no practice time due to the CBA mess as the primary backup, with Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster the #2 and #3 guards to play second fiddle to the #1 guard on the team who got blown up and who's mostly responsible for a pick 6 that cost us the Super Bowl.

Not to pile on Colbert, who's done some good things, but some very questionable things lately (and part of the blame goes to the coaching staff)... but before this season I used to forgive some personnel shortcomings with a realistic sense that an NFL team can really only try to address a couple of problems each offseason, and generally won't know if it even addressed them for a few years, since a high draft pick at a position does not automatically solve the problem.

But then look at the Ravens this year: they solved four problems, some big, some more minor, but still:
* Added deep speed at receiver
* Upgraded at corner
* Solved their offensive line
* Improved their depth at RB

Meanwhile, we..... re-signed a bunch of players past their prime, cut our two starting tackles from last year, and drafted a guy who will eventually replace Keisel. I understand that some offseasons seem quiet at the time and pay off five years down the road -- this is what I expect from the Heyward and Gilbert picks -- but our handling of our more aged veterans has just been a bit too kind, it turns out.
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: