Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 24, 2014 at 05:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 3 - Sep 25 @ Indianapolis  (Read 5156 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #90 on: Sep 26, 2011 at 11:53 »

Quote from: From Seattle Gameday thread
Despite the score, I've gotta say, I don't like what I saw from a lot of guys wearing the Black and Gold.  Offensively, the offensive line...the offensive line...the offensive line.  The.  Offensive.  Line.  It's fucking painful to watch.  For every 6-8 dropbacks, they can form a decent pocket maybe one time.  BR got (and will continue to get) blasted back there.  And, nothing's really gonna change about that other than how many times he gets hit based on the quality of the defense they're facing.  

#7's decision making and passes are really questionable too.  I attribute some of that to what the offensive line is giving him to work with, but he just doesn't look sharp.  I assume it has to do with the lack of offseason training, but he'll throw a perfect strike to Wallace on a slant pattern, only to grossly overthrow the slot and hit the safety right in the numbers. toss a lolipop out into the flat where a LBer is just standing there, defending a zone.  Luckily for him, Aaron Curry makes his living stuffing the run, not catching footballs.  The offense just doesn't seem to be in rhythm.  Everything feels very forced.  Again, I think most a lot of it is due to his jitteriness behind that O-line, but you'd think he'd be used to playing with a bunch of scared vaginas by now.

And, please don't get me started on Mendenhall.  The spinning; the fumbling; the carrying the rock like a loaf of bread (reminiscent of Burress); the turning your back to the offensive line; the happy feet when he gets in a running lane...Jesus tap dancing Christ, man.  Hasn't Ben taught you anything??  Hit that motherfucking hole hard!!  Deliver the goddamned blow!!  Your fundamentals are shit.  Here's an easy way to work on things.  Just watch what little tape there is on Redman.  He knows what's up.  You're supposed to be a power back, right?  Sometimes I wonder if he dreams of being Darren Sproles.  You don't have those kinda moves, Broski.  Sorry.

There were some bright spots, but not a ton of them.  Hines gonna Hines...Wallace gonna Wallace...Sanders gonna Sanders...Polamalu gonna Polamalu...Clark gonna Clark...when they get the chance.

I started typing a response, then realized...shit, I said all of this recently, so I'm just quoting it.  I made a few edits, but not much was necessary.

My revised expectations for the season:
at Houston : Lose by 13 (2-2)
Tennessee:  Win a squeaker (3-2)
Jacksonville: Win by 10 (4-2)
at Arizona:  Lose by 10 (4-3)
New England: Lose by 27 (4-4)
Baltimore: Win by 3 (5-4) - don't ask me how, I'm guessing emotion carries us in this one
at Cincy: Lose by 6 (5-5) - we're gonna lose one we shouldn't. Letdown loss after Balty game.
at KC:  Win by 3 (6-5)
Cincy: Win by 9 (7-5)
Cleve: Win by 1 (8-5)
at SF: Lose by 7 (8-6)
St Lou:  Win by 3 (9-6)
at Cleve:  Lose by 10 (9-7)

No way am I throwing in the towel.  And, as much as I'd like to, I'm not going to try to forecast how they might finish.  There are just too many variables to try to account for.  ATM, they're tied (well, really a half game back) for the division lead.  I'd rather just try to focus on the things that need to be fixed and address them as best as possible.

For example, on the defensive side, what I didn't like was how Pittsburgh failed to shed blocks and make tackles.  Other than Harrison, nobody from the front seven was able to do that.  Hampton looked more interested in hitting the vending machines than hitting the ball carrier.  He was repeatedly being driven back or away from the ball by a single lineman.  Saturday was just having his way with him.  Unacceptable.  Smith, Timmons and Woodley too.  As soon as Indy put a hat on those guys, they were a non-factor.  I don't know if it's age, fat wallets, a lack of "want to" or a combination of the above, but we need to see a helluva lot more from the front seven.  Period.  

The secondary wasn't too bad, but they're not without reproach either.  If Painter hits a streaking Garcon down the sidelines in the 4th, after Taylor bit (...dumbass...) on the double move, that game takes on a whole different look.  Again, I'm going from memory here, but I think that shortly after that miss was when Harrison got the strip sack and Troy took it in for 7.  14 point huge swing.  Clark and Troy were solid and felt like they were always around the ball, but WTF was up with having #43 30+ yards off the LOS on a couple snaps?  Givin' him a head start to the locker room, ****ie?  Again, corner play was OK, but considering who was slinging it for the opposition, it's not saying much.

Offensively, see above.  Y2J updated the status on his Facebook page to read that he saw Todd Fordham and Sean Mahan visiting the Steelers facility.  Fans lined the streets, rejoicing.

Bruce, need to see more quick hitting plays.  Work in some rollouts.  Ben, look to the TEs and dumpoffs to RBs more.  Don't fall in love with shooting for the big strike downfield all the time.  Mendy, run with some anger, FFS and not like you're auditioning for next season's DWTS.

I'm rambling...and hungry...need food...

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #91 on: Sep 26, 2011 at 12:20 »

All good points, aj, and I mostly agree.  But focusing on the fixable begs the question of how much of that can be fixed in-season.

Finding a LT?  Now?  Color me dubious.

Getting Arians to see the light on quick-hitters to counter the blitz?  Hope springs fucking eternal.

I have some hope that the front seven will get back to where they should be, and I even think some of the young guys in the secondary could still start to show something, but overall I'm not happy that a "veteran" team that just went to the SB looks this fucking sloppy, unmotivated, and overpowered.  Overpowered by the vaunted Colts run D, f'rinstance. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #92 on: Sep 26, 2011 at 12:55 »

Finding a LT?  Now?  Color me dubious.

Somewhere yesterday, Flozell let out a hearty laugh.

...but overall I'm not happy that a "veteran" team that just went to the SB looks this fucking sloppy, unmotivated, and overpowered.  Overpowered by the vaunted Colts run D, f'rinstance. 

Yeah, used to be that the Colts could stack 8 in the box and Pittsburgh would still be able to run on them, but that definitely wasn't the case last night.  They were geared towards stopping the run and they accomplished it.  Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but it sure seemed like they had 8 in the box a lot.

At the time, I thought, "go hurry up; run some RB screens and quick dumpoffs; get those two guys on the edge dog tired.  Give Scott and/or Gilbert a 'lil help by chipping those guys at the line with Miller and/or Mendy."  No such luck.

Next week, Houston presents a bunch of problems, but thankfully, their ability to get to the QB (Super Mario excepted) isn't one of them.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #93 on: Sep 26, 2011 at 13:35 »

Next week, Houston presents a bunch of problems, but thankfully, their ability to get to the QB (Super Mario excepted) isn't one of them.

I guarantee you will eat those words.

In fact, I'll spot you a couple of sacks to Mario, and further bet that 3 more sacks come from among these 4 guys:  JJ Watt, Connor Barwin, Brian Cushing, and DeMeco Ryans.  5, 6 sacks allowed by this OL?  Sure, why the hell not.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #94 on: Sep 26, 2011 at 13:54 »

A

In fact, I'll spot you a couple of sacks to Mario, and further bet that 3 more sacks come from among these 4 guys:  JJ Watt, Connor Barwin, Brian Cushing, and DeMeco Ryans.  5, 6 sacks allowed by this OL?  Sure, why the hell not.

I'm setting the over/under for fumbles returned for a TD at 1.5

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #95 on: Sep 26, 2011 at 14:11 »

5, 6 sacks allowed by this OL?  Sure, why the hell not.

$37 says Houston won't get 5 or 6 sacks that are completely due to the play of the offensive line.

kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #96 on: Sep 27, 2011 at 13:42 »

$37 says Houston won't get 5 or 6 sacks that are completely due to the play of the offensive line.

Team A (sacks per week):
1, 5, 1

Team B:
1, 1, 3

Team C:
3, 2, 2

Team A = Pittsburgh (7 sacks)
Team B = Indy (6 sacks)
Team C = Houston (7 sacks)

So Pittsburgh (who is considered good at rushing the passer) has 5 sacks against Seattle and 1 against Baltimore and 1 against a crappy Peyton Manning-less Colts team. Houston has the same number of sacks as Pittsburgh. They got 3 sacks against Indy vs. Pittsburgh's 1. They also got 2 sacks each against teams with decent offenses and lines in Miami and New Orleans.

For reference, Indy, who has one less sack than Houston and only 1 sack in each of the first two games (against Houston and Cleveland), got 3 against Pittsburgh. Baltimore has only 2 more sacks than Houston and they sacked Ben 4 times in the opener. Anyone want to face that pass rush again?

Pittsburgh is 8th worst in the league in sacks given up with 9 and are 5th in the league in yards lost behind only Chicago (14), Seattle (14), Atlanta (13), and St. Louis (12). Each of those teams have given up at least 3 more sacks than Pittsburgh. In average yards lost per sack, Pittsburgh (8.11 yards) is behind only Washington (9 yards) and Indy (8.16 yards) among teams with 4 or more sacks given up. Cleveland (8.3 yards) also has a higher average, but has only given up 3 sacks.

Count me into the camp that thinks next week does not look good. I wouldn't bet on 5 or 6 (and definitely not if it was caveated that they have to be completely the O-line's fault), but I would bet the over if it was set at 3 and would think hard about it if it was set at 3.5. Also, I don't bet against the Steelers, but if I had to bet on this game, I take Houston minus the points (whatever the spread happens to be at the time).

*League Sack Leaders:
NameTeamSack
DeMarcus WareDAL5.0
Terrell SuggsBAL4.0
Antonio SmithHOU3.0
Dwight FreeneyIND3.0
D'Qwell JacksonCLE3.0
Ahtyba RubinCLE3.0
Roman HarperNOR3.0
Junior GaletteNOR3.0
Mario WilliamsHOU2.0
Robert MathisIND2.0
James HarrisonPIT2.0
Jayme MitchellCLE2.0
Cameron WakeMIA2.0
Jonathan CasillasNOR2.0
Turk McBrideNOR2.0
Chris ClemonsSEA2.0

*NOTE: I edited out any players not from the three teams above or teams that they have played except for the league leader for Sacks - DeMarcus Ware - who was included for reference

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #97 on: Oct 02, 2011 at 16:50 »

OK, 5 sacks, 2 from Mario, 1 from Barwin, 1 from Cody, 1 from Smith.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #98 on: Oct 03, 2011 at 09:07 »

OK, 5 sacks, 2 from Mario, 1 from Barwin, 1 from Cody, 1 from Smith.

Yeah, but, but, but...one of them wasn't due to the offensive line...

Undecided

Pages: 1 ... 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: