Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 24, 2014 at 07:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 2 - Sep 18 - Seattle  (Read 2858 times)
bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2011 at 13:12 »

So Gilbert gets Ben sacked by not getting out on a block in the first quarter, then gets beat on a simple spin move and trips the rusher into the leg of his quarterback.

Great fucking start to a career!

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2011 at 14:10 »

Wallace caught the back half of the ball.  Sweet pass, sweet catch.  And Dermonti Dawson looked good, he didn't get all Fridge Perry'd.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2011 at 14:15 »

Missed a 40 yarder.  Not nice.  Defense still pitching a shut out though.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2011 at 14:16 »

Some interesting scores out there, TEN 20 BAL 10, you gotta love that!  Carolina was beating the Pack but now it's about what you'd expect 20-13 Pack.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #14 on: Sep 18, 2011 at 14:17 »

Jacksonville is looking just awful.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2011 at 21:46 »

Lol go figure - Seahags don't draw quite the traffic to the gameday thread the Ravens do.

Very good, solid, no doubt performance on both sides of the ball.  However, it was Seattle at home.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Sep 19, 2011 at 11:39 »

Well, as Jonz mentioned earlier in the thread, we didn't find out much about this team other than they can beat the teams they're definitely supposed to beat.  And, when you take a look at the rest of the 2011 sked, they're a lot of teams that fall into that category.  With the exception of Houston, New England and Baltimore again, it should be quite the easy road.  St Louis could be a challenge on Christmas, but it's @ Heinz in December so they've got the edge there.  The rest of them are goddamned cupcakes.  Not exactly the kind of primer you'd like to have for a playoff bound team.

Let me stop there because I'm getting ahead of myself.  Way ahead.

As to yesterday's game, Seattle looked fucking abysmal.  A couple guys looked into it on defense and about the only guy that showed up on offense was Marshawn Lynch.  It's really too bad about that guy's choice of employers because he's an absolute beast.  I didn't think it was possible, but Tavaris Jackson actually looks worse than he did in Minnesota.  Clearly, they made the right move in letting Hasselhoff go.

Anything short of a token FG or TD allowed to these guys would've been completely unacceptable.  As bad as some teams have looked after two games, I'd say Seattle is neck and neck with KC (surprisingly, at least to me) in the Andrew Luck lottery.

Despite the score, I've gotta say, I don't like what I saw from a lot of guys wearing the Black and Gold.  Offensively, the offensive line...the offensive line...the offensive line.  The.  Offensive.  Line.  It's fucking painful to watch.  For every 6-8 dropbacks, they can form a decent pocket maybe one time.  BR got (and will continue to get) blasted back there.  And, nothing's really gonna change about that other than how many times he gets hit based on the quality of the defense they're facing. 

#7's decision making and passes are really questionable too.  I attribute some of that to what the offensive line is giving him to work with, but he just doesn't look sharp.  I assume it has to do with the lack of offseason training, but he'll throw a perfect strike to Wallace on a slant pattern, only to toss a lolipop out into the flat where a LBer is just standing there, defending a zone.  Luckily for him, Aaron Curry makes his living stuffing the run, not catching footballs.  The offense just doesn't seem to be in rhythm.  Everything feels very forced.  Again, I think a lot of it is due to his jitteriness behind that O-line, but you'd think he'd be used to playing with a bunch of scared vaginas by now.

And, please don't get me started on Mendenhall.  The spinning; the fumbling; the carrying the rock like a loaf of bread (reminiscent of Burress); the turning your back to the offensive line; the happy feet when he gets in a running lane...Jesus tap dancing Christ, man.  Hasn't Ben taught you anything??  Hit that motherfucking hole hard!!  Deliver the goddamned blow!!  Your fundamentals are shit.  Here's an easy way to work on things.  Just watch what little tape there is on Redman.  He knows what's up.  You're supposed to be a power back, right?  Sometimes I wonder if he dreams of being Darren Sproles.  You don't have those kinda moves, Broski.  Sorry.

There were some bright spots, but not a ton of them.  Hines gonna Hines...Wallace gonna Wallace...Sanders gonna Sanders...when they get the chance.

Overall though, there wasn't much to crow about, IMO.  Kinda crazy to say about a NFL team that shuts out their opponent in 2011, but that's just how I felt when I was watching it.  Best news of the day was finding out that Ben's knee injury wasn't serious.

I dunno.  After re-reading, maybe I'm being overly harsh, but it was a weird game; like watching the varsity squad beat up on the freshman team.  You expect them to win and do it convincingly, but without mistakes, mental lapses or gaffes.

Hopefully the Colts continue to ride the Kerry Collins train and don't switch it up and go with Painter.  He's no Manning (obv), but at least he knows the system.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #17 on: Sep 19, 2011 at 12:15 »

I think you're spot-on, aj.  OL, OL, oh hell.  I watched a bit of the SD @ NE game and watching Beardy just stand there with seemingly 6 seconds on every play is astounding, it's no wonder he can toss a beautiful 40 yard rainbow that hits his WR in stride as he jets into the ez. 

And I've had about enough of Mendenhall, same reasons.  Player better watch it or Redman will have him on the bench.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Sep 19, 2011 at 13:26 »

Marshawn Lynch.  It's really too bad about that guy's choice of employers because he's an absolute beast.

IIRC he didn't have much of a choice at all, it was Seattle or out of the league.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Sep 19, 2011 at 13:28 »

Crazy assed motherfucking season.  CBA-shortened prep, followed by all-time record points scored the first two weeks:  all offense, all the time.  The logic of Jax beats Tenn beats Balty is staggering.  Several teams have legit stakes in the Luck race, not only Seattle and KC:  Minnesota (tough division), Indy (look fucking miserable with Collins)... but give KC the edge early, with 10 PF and 89 PA.  AFCN all knotted up at 1-1 apiece, too.  Freakish.  Pitt has the look of a team that's destined for 9-7 except for a sched so weak they'd have to work hard not to hit a winning record.

Seattle does have a few guys of talent on D, including a solid front 7 and my draft hope of 2009, S Earl Thomas.  Ben abused CB Brandon Browner, and rightfully so.  In fact, it should have been worse.  That guy should have checked himself out of the game in fucking tears with the Steelers up something like 42-0.  But predictably the OL was like a bag of ready-to-serve salad:  pre-shredded for your convenience and looking wilted from the opening.  

Let me just bitch.  The fact that the FO and the coaches were perfuckly happy to enter this season with Jon Scott at LT, and don’t show me aggregated protection percentages that prove Scott is somehow “serviceable” or I may puke in your eye, with NO apparent concern that he might be a liability, and NO apparent desire to upgrade him, leaves me dizzy from shaking my head.  Scott is a backup, period.  He’s gonna get Ben killed.  Gilbert gets slack for being a rookie, but are they seriously considering grooming him for LT?  For realz?  Yeah, let’s hope not.  Meanwhile, Ramon Foster outplayed Kemo, not showing any “looking for the butterflies” moments Kemo is renowned for.  (“Looking for the butterflies?” asked Mrs. F.  “Yeah, a couple of times a game he gets so confused by a stunt or loop that he appears to be looking for butterflies.”)  Pouncey continues to improve and shows the best upfield hustle of anyone on the line.  Legursky is just out of his element.  Another backup we’re trying to convince ourselves can actually start, when clearly the Super Bowl proved otherwise, and no lifting of the finger by the front office and coaching klan (the FOCK, for short) to improve.  Well, unless you count table scraps at the ass end of the draft the last few years and undrafteds.  Yay.  Gilbert is an incomplete so far, but he did produce the cringe-worthy miss on the low hit that almost ended the season.

I know we’re $20M over the cap, but can we at least fix the RT side of the picture?  Call Flo, and run a line from left to right of (ugh) Jon Scott, Foster, Pouncey, Gilbert, Flo.  That would be a massive right side, and we’d be no worse on the blind.

OK, but Ben is still having the usual bullshit where he looks sharp in camp and then comes out and appears to actually be Will Farrell impersonating Ben Roethlisberger.  Sailing a ton of passes, Mr. Hyde improvisation, still not fully in synch with the wideouts.  Ben personifies the maddening disparity between how good you know this team can be, and how unevenly it actually does play.

I couldn’t discern a game plan last week, since every time we had the ball we gift wrapped the motherfucker, but Arians seemed to do a better job of attacking the weak spot (Browner), getting Redman some carries, and finding all three young receivers.  But Arians still bugs the balls off me sometimes.  David Johnson keeps whiffing blocks and has no other discernable value.  I’m getting all misty for the Carey Davis era.  Opposing defensive coordinators are getting dispatches that read What hath God wrought?, because Arians cannot help but telegraph plays, especially runs.  Legursky as a fullback, BTW, is even less successful than Legursky as guard, so chew on that, BA.  And the inside running game, without a decent pair of guards, cannot open running lanes for Mendy.  I’d be surprised if they can open child-proof aspirin containers.  Seems like Mendy shoots through holes the size of dimes and has success getting the outside, but re the only guy who could make something out of the lack of running lanes would be Adrian Peterson.  Arians still refuses to throw to Miller, despite the fact that he’s a bull in YAC.  In general, Arians is a champ against chumps but can’t overcome swarming defenses, so there’s a sense of false security in this win.

Mendenhall has the skills to be a top 10 back in the league, were it not for the fact that he cannot count to 3.  Three points of contact secure the ball, dumbass, not some cup of the hands.  This ain’t your girlfriend’s tittie, son.  Overall, I still think he’s a great runner, but hopefully we’ll see more Redman to soften the defenses and get carries in SY/GL situations.  

Two quotes from the Seahawks game that Mrs. Finny found humorous:  “Hines Ward would eat his own appendix and keep on playing!” and “Ben Roethlisberger could have his head torn off and keep on playing!”  I realize that Hines has already had his appendix removed, and Ben has lost parts of his head already, but they are tough SOBs.  And we had our first sighting of the smiling Hines so far this season.

On defense, rotating Foote in seems less about allowing Farrior to get some oxygen and more about how slow Farrior looks.  Hey, why not rotate in Sylvester for a few series?  And speaking of slow, the DL is showing it.  I love these guys, and they have been superb for years, but Aaron Smith simply does not look the same, and neither does Keisel.  We’ve seen some good stuff from Hood, and Hood should start getting reps at the RDE spot soon.  Also, anyone else impressed with Steve McClendon?  Third and longs I want McClendon in for some disruption.

Ike is having a very good season so far.  Has he allowed any completions to his receivers?

Some odd coaching decisions.  Beyond the usual ream of Arian creepishness.  LeBeau’s front 7 rotations seem to be less about preserving the vets’ health and more about preserving their egos, as they still aren’t being particularly disruptive.  Late in the Seahawks game, yes, but I don’t see the swarming pressure schemes, and I don’t see speed.  Tomlin’s challenge was a challenge wasted, and not even a challenge wasted in a way that made situational sense.  It was just a waste.  But better that than wasting your franchise QB, which was what he risked keeping 7 on the field late in a blowout.  Keisel was kept out after his knee injury for precaution, but not Ben?  And if you’re going to send someone in to relieve Ben after the injury, why Batch?  Seriously, Batch is no running threat, the formation shows run, it’s DOA.  At least get the young guy live reps and preserve the illusion you may actually be going for 7.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: