Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 27, 2014 at 12:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preseason Game #2 - 8/18 - Philadelphia  (Read 2328 times)
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #10 on: Aug 18, 2011 at 23:12 »

Warren has been on the field a lot and seems to be around the football a good bit.

BTW, Goodell has apparently forbidden any referee from calling a hold by any tackle vs. any Steeler OLB.  Oh well, at least he's not just picking on Harrison.

Agreed.  Warren looked good and was on the field from start to finish.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Aug 19, 2011 at 08:50 »

Rebroadcast on the 212 sometime this afternoon, I think.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Aug 19, 2011 at 11:09 »

Good news is that both Jon Scott and Marcus Gilbert (that would be your starting LT and his backup, for those counting at home) suffered hyper-extended knees, although both will undergo MRIs to make sure it’s nothing more.  Stock up for Tony Hills, who kicked out to LT for some snaps and who looked comfortable at RG.  He might have won the RG starting job, and he’s almost certainly resurrected his stock from bubble player to lock.  What was all the fuss over OG Chris Scott about?  He looks dumb.  And slow. 

K Shaun Suisham had an appendix out, and in his place was Swayze Waters, who might as well have been Patrick fucking Swayze out there. 

Tell me who’s the veteran playmaker and who’s the callow second-year guy, CB Asante Samuel or WR Antonio Brown?  Brown juked Samuel so bad on that TD they weren’t in the same zip code. 

QB Dennis Dixon looked better but still had to wait until the second half to see action.  He’s clearly QB3 behind Lefty, and I’m still confused as to what Tomlin’s doing with him.  The final two preseason games won’t see much action from the first stringers, so Dixon will again be working with the practice squad players and soon to be out of work guys.  I wouldn’t say that bodes well for his long-term prospects here.

RBs Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman looked great, although Redman freaked me out with his ankle.  Jonathan Dwyer did well enough to warrant consideration as being RB4 again this year, not exactly dominating but showing enough to be insurance.  When you get to the RB3/4 of any team, you’re not going to find guys much better, frankly.

CB Keenan Lewis was good and bad.  He needed a strong dose of redemption, and did nab a pick and deflected a pass to Polamalu for yet another patented returns of his.  Troy must be a fan of the Family Circus.  ‘Malu looks to have healed from the Achilles that limited him in the playoffs, and the entire secondary was predictably better.  Lewis allowed only 40% completion and a 4.8 YPA, although that was also due to pressure on Vick.  Rookie Curtis Brown got his feet wet, allowing 50% completion and a 4.0 YPA: he looked about as good as one would expect of a rookie CB in the **** LeBeau system after less than a month of camp.  That he didn’t look totally lost, and he didn’t give up any big plays, is quite enough for me at this point.  Donovan Warren got a nice, long look from the coaches, playing the entire game.  I think he’s improved his stock to potentially being a keeper.  His stats were mixed – he allowed a 70% completion rate, but a paltry 4.5 YPA – but he seems to stick to his guys with good awareness, and his coverage was a big reason Ryan Clark came up with his INT.  Brown and Warren are going to be interesting to follow the next two games.

Hines Ward can dance!,[/i] motherfuckers!  With Ward looking like, well, Hines motherfucking Ward, and the young trio of Wallace, Brown, and Sanders, it’s going to be interesting to see how many passes Jerrico Cotchery will get.  He’s already a nice add, a better veteran FA WR than anyone in a long, long time.

Officials are officially driving me nuts.  First, everyone is allowed to hold our LBs.  Second, late hits are never called on Ben.  Third, a play is called dead when a defender has Ben by the shirt, when he was just about to throw it away; I’ve seen Ben shake that shit off, and blaze a pass downfield in similar situations.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #13 on: Aug 19, 2011 at 11:36 »

Officials are officially driving me nuts.  First, everyone is allowed to hold our LBs.  Second, late hits are never called on Ben.  Third, a play is called dead when a defender has Ben by the shirt, when he was just about to throw it away; I’ve seen Ben shake that shit off, and blaze a pass downfield in similar situations.

Same shit, different season. I seriously hope Rooney breaks his foot off in Goodell's ass behind closed doors (or lobbies to fire him), because the blatant bias against the Steelers is unreal.

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Aug 19, 2011 at 12:32 »

Same shit, different season. I seriously hope Rooney breaks his foot off in Goodell's ass behind closed doors (or lobbies to fire him), because the blatant bias against the Steelers is unreal.

Even our third-team OLBs were getting horse-collared off the edge.  Which brings up another issue IMO:  Are these tackles actually applying a horse-collar to James Harrison?  It's been more than close, more than once.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Aug 19, 2011 at 13:06 »

Are these tackles actually applying a horse-collar to James Harrison?  It's been more than close, more than once.

I think the horse collar rule only applies to ball carriers.  Besides, to call a horse collar in that situation would require acknowledgement that Harrison is getting held.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Aug 19, 2011 at 13:29 »

Re: the Brown TD - In Samuels defense I think he was watching Ben moreso than Brown.  He bit trying to make a play but I think that was more about Ben's fake than Brown's juke.

Antonio Brown is the shit though, no question.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Aug 19, 2011 at 15:03 »

Re: the Brown TD - In Samuels defense I think he was watching Ben moreso than Brown.  He bit trying to make a play but I think that was more about Ben's fake than Brown's juke.

Antonio Brown is the shit though, no question.

Brown also left Nnamdi sputtering on the play before, but Ben threw it to Battle IIRC.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Aug 19, 2011 at 21:30 »

This group of receivers as a whole will keep your attention.

And I am less concerned than ever before about any "decline" in Hines Ward.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Aug 22, 2011 at 10:22 »

Ben looked sharp as did the WRs.  O-line still worries me, tho.

Defensively, better than their first game.  If they had a little more quality depth at CB, I think this team could threaten some season marks.

It seems like this team has handled the lockout shortened offseason better than most.  No doubt the minimal roster turnover and the fact they're a veteran squad has helped in that regard quite a bit.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: