Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 23, 2014 at 01:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't say I disagree with Belichimp  (Read 589 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Aug 24, 2011 at 07:59 »

"Philosophically, plays that are non-plays shouldn't be in the game. I don't think it is good for the game. Extra points, when the odds are 99 percent range in extra points it is not a play. Let's move the ball back to the 15-20 yard line and not make it a tap in. Let them kick it. Same thing with the kickoff return, if you're just going to put the ball on the 20, put the ball on the 20."

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2011 at 10:15 »

Agree on kickoffs, not on PATs.  I like the way a touchdown is almost always worth more than 2 FGs.  A 35-40 yarder for 1 point seems odd.  Still would be made most of the time, but that change would make FGs would become more relevant, where more emphasis should be on trying to get touchdowns.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2011 at 11:55 »

Good point.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2011 at 12:57 »

Agree on kickoffs, not on PATs.  I like the way a touchdown is almost always worth more than 2 FGs.  A 35-40 yarder for 1 point seems odd.  Still would be made most of the time, but that change would make FGs would become more relevant, where more emphasis should be on trying to get touchdowns.

Defenders should be allowed to run up and launch themselves ~WWE style~ off their own D-linemen's backs to try to block PATs.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2011 at 13:45 »

Thing is, guys miss ~10 PATs a year, and at least once or twice a year that's a game-changer.  So it's almost a gimme, but sometimes luck is just part of the game.

I suspect the number of attempted KO returns will be > number of missed PATs per year, but same thing.  We can look at KO as usually resulting in the offense going from the 20, but the times they don't could be significant.  Since fewer KO returns will happen, if there's one a game there's a good chance it won't be offset by a return from the other team, e.g.

Everyone hates the new KO rule, but if the league says it's for player safety and changes it back, they can start writing the big lawsuit checks now.  So, like it or not, this stupid shit is here to stay.

I agree with aj on allowing circus tricks to block PATs, punts, whatever. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2011 at 14:05 »

Defenders should be allowed to run up and launch themselves ~WWE style~ off their own D-linemen's backs to try to block PATs.

Would love to see the perfectly timed Troy launch where he crushes the holder before they can even get the kick off.

Everyone hates the new KO rule, but if the league says it's for player safety and changes it back, they can start writing the big lawsuit checks now.  So, like it or not, this stupid shit is here to stay.

The question will be if it really does improve safety.  If there's no change in injuries on KOs, then no benefit.  Of course, with more touchbacks there will be fewer injuries because there's fewer plays.  But I personally don't see any difference between starting at the 35 as opposed to the 30 on collisions - players will still be at top speed on impact.  Only difference is collision will happen 5 yards further downfield.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2011 at 14:40 »

The question will be if it really does improve safety.  If there's no change in injuries on KOs, then no benefit.  Of course, with more touchbacks there will be fewer injuries because there's fewer plays.  But I personally don't see any difference between starting at the 35 as opposed to the 30 on collisions - players will still be at top speed on impact.  Only difference is collision will happen 5 yards further downfield.

+1.

The only "safety improvement" will be fewer KO returns.

Personally, the change doesn't really bother me.  Probably because I'm kinda tired of seeing Pittsburgh's special teams get lit up at least 2 or 3 times a year.  In fact, I kinda like seeing return guys having to make a tough decision when receiving the kick 6 yards deep in the EZ.  Take a knee?...Take a risk?  Make those squads earn their paycheck.

Getting the ball at the 20 for a touchback is too much of an advantage from the kicking team's perspective, tho.  Move touchbacks out to the 25.  And, if you really want to tinker, when the kicking team kicks it through the EZ, let the return team get it at the 30.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2011 at 08:24 »

This should benefit the Steelers though.  Not many teams are successful if they have to go 80 against the Big Nasty.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: