Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 06:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BV's Big Adventure  (Read 438 times)
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« on: Sep 12, 2011 at 10:44 »

OK - Since the Steelers didn't do anything this weekend, I thought I'd share what I did, which is the biggest bike ride I have ever done.  Good thing, Like Kramer, "I have the body of a taught pre-teen Swedish boy".

Previously, the most ascent/climbing (The Garmin link calls it elevation gain) I have had on a ride is approx 4,200 ft.  This ride was almost 5,900 ft and Pretty much all of it above 10,000 ft.  I do OK until about 11,000 ft.  After that body size and weight start workig against you even more than usual, so I start getting slow.

One website, where I found this ride, said the average time for this ride is 7.5 hours and I did it in 8.  I feel pretty good about that since in the biking world, 190 lbs is considered obese, regardless of height, and anything over 210 is considered a joke.  More affectionately reffered to as a Clyde (clydesdale).  Having said that, I feel pretty good about my time.

I don't currently have a chest strap, so all the heart rate info and calorie burn info is waaaay off.  For calorie burn I was probably, atleast 6,500 if not closer to 7,500 with an average HR of approx 160.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/113523389

EDIT:  When the link is open, click "Aerial" on the map to get a Google Earth type of view.

That's all I got.

« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2011 at 12:06 by Big Virgil » Logged

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2011 at 12:48 »

Holy fuck, 8 hours?  Hope you've got a comfortable seat.  That's crazy, man.  Congrats.

I think I burned 250 calories just looking at that.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2011 at 12:58 »

I don't currently have a chest strap,

Nah, but now you have a taint that looks like everyone's favorite Holiday treat.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2011 at 22:11 »

Holy fuck, 8 hours?  Hope you've got a comfortable seat.  That's crazy, man.  Congrats.

I think I burned 250 calories just looking at that.

Thanks.  The bike seat area becomes, ahh, noticeable, at about the 6 hour mark.  Due to terrain, the last 45 minutes was down hill, so more standing on the pedals than sitting and pedaling which was a good thing.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2011 at 22:13 »

I don't currently have a chest strap,

Nah, but now you have a taint that looks like everyone's favorite Holiday treat.

LOL - I got nothin.  I must still be tired.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: