Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 16, 2014 at 00:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reasons for the Pgh Police to Guard the 7th Street Bridge  (Read 685 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Sep 12, 2011 at 18:57 »

Okay, so the Steelers got drubbed by the hated Ratbirds in week one.  Yeah, yeah, let the Ravens “crow” all they want.  Call me when the playoffs start, and the Ravens have to beat the Steelers in that forum.

The Ratbirds were doing a lot of woofing, going for two, throwing deep late in the game with a big lead.  The Football Gods will not smile on this.  Unfortunately, they might not smile on the Steelers either. 

While I’m no advocate of preparing to jump off the bridge after week one, there is plenty of reason for the Steelers to be concerned.  Here are a few:

1.  Teams get old in a hurry in this league, particularly on defense.  It can happen overnight, and the Steelers defense looks old and slow.

2.  The FO has refused to upgrade the most problematic areas of the team, including cornerback.  They kept Ike Taylor, but he is the only corner on the roster that can actually play.  Everyone else at corner/secondary looks lost.

3.  Far be it for me to blaspheme and criticize Troy P, but the last few opponents the Steelers have faced have found ways to neutralize him, injuries notwithstanding.  If he doesn’t play well, neither does the defense…and that’s too much on one player.  Even Troy.

4.  Ben Roethlisberger’s last four starts have ranged from average to unwatchable.  An aberration…or a trend?  Maybe he’s just tired of getting pounded into the turf on every play.

5.  That obviously leads to the second problem area:  offensive line.  It’s bad enough that the Steelers didn’t really upgrade in the offseason.  It’s even more troubling that the line actually got worse.  They have no chance unless something changes up front.

6.  It may take a horrendous year to force Kevin Colbert to upgrade the oline/secondary.  It may also take that to force Mike Tomlin to fire Bruce Arians.  His play designs, calls, and offensive schemes are an absolute joke.

So, maybe it’s not time to panic.  But it is time to be concerned.  VERY concerned.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2011 at 20:54 »

I'm right there with ya Preacherman.  Matter of fact, I was saying the same thing this morning to a coworker - it's murder when a team (in this case, the defense) gets old at the same time.  Sure, they have a younger guy here and there ... we'll see as the season progresses.  But the OL, the offensive scheme, shit, what's the point worrying about that?  You give a filet mignon to the fry cook at Denny's and there's a good chance you'll end up eating chicken-fried steak anyways.

So I'm not jumping yet but age is a concern for key positions and talent for others.  Sad thing is, even if they demolish the Seahags next week, what does that tell us?  NOthing.  And the Manning-less Colts after that?  More nada.  Then HOU, TEN, JAC, AZ ... and finally the Patriots before they see the Ratties again.  If they're 5-3 by then I'll take it.  But if that's a 5-3 after getting bitch-slapped by the Patsies, I won't hold much hope for the second half.

Shit, if they'd played the Patriots yesterday, Brady might have thrown 10 TD passes.  I hope Big Dick LeBeau has a plan.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2011 at 21:04 »

Sad thing is, even if they demolish the Seahags next week, what does that tell us?  NOthing.  And the Manning-less Colts after that?  More nada.  Then HOU, TEN, JAC, AZ ... and finally the Patriots before they see the Ratties again.  If they're 5-3 by then I'll take it.  But if that's a 5-3 after getting bitch-slapped by the Patsies, I won't hold much hope for the second half.

Allow me to disagree while agreeing.  We will find out everything we need to know in the next 2 weeks, because if they don't both end with the Steelers on one knee (running out the clock, that is, not trying to catch their breath), then we can expect a blow out loss in New England.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2011 at 21:12 »

True dat.  Similar to your agreeable disagreement, I was being optimistically pessimistic and assuming they win those, thus telling us nothing.

Damn, Welker just went 99 yds.  Whoever has Beardy in the FFL is gonna win this week.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2011 at 22:47 »

Damn, Welker just went 99 yds.  Whoever has Beardy in the FFL is gonna win this week.

Or whoever has Welker.

In our league, same guy.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2011 at 09:24 »

I have Welker in my league and it is true.  My team destroyed even with Ben and Brown as my flex.  Chicago D kept me in as well...

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2011 at 19:16 »

Or whoever has Welker.

In our league, same guy.

Yeah, eff that guy.

And who was playing him this week? Me. Of course.  Even after I had Rodgers and the Balty D.  Dammit.

I'm still the one with the boobs.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2011 at 21:45 »

Or whoever has Welker.

In our league, same guy.

I'll take the "eff u" and a win over a "Love ya preach!" and a loss.  All day long, baby, all day long!

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2011 at 14:32 »

Or whoever has Welker.

In our league, same guy.

I'll take the "eff u" and a win over a "Love ya preach!" and a loss.  All day long, baby, all day long!

Especially the eff part...right preach.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: