Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 26, 2014 at 00:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling my Mendenhall stock  (Read 578 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Sep 26, 2011 at 13:02 »

I've defended him while listening to my bro-in-law rant and rave about how Mendy is not that good.  I pointed out that he has done a much better job of taking care of the football, running between the tackles, etc. 

After watching his performance against the Colts, my view is quite different.  I'm not like the BIL, who pretty much hates on any RB that doesn't run like Bettis.  I'm down on Mendenhall for one simple run Sunday night that shows his true colors. 

Sometime in the 3rd quarter, RM was taking the ball up the middle, where he had a gap.  A small gap, to be sure, but more daylight than he had seen all night.  Does he take it?  No.  Instead he literally turns around, runs backwards, and tries to get outside on one of the fastest defenses in the league. 4-yd loss.

I found it odd that, on the final drive, Isaac Red and MMoore were in the game.  Our most successful rushes came on that drive, straight ahead, against a 9-man front.  So, in crunch time we put in two backs who have barely touched the ball and run it straight ahead? 

RM is not worth it if he can't run the ball at the most critical times of the game.  And if all the "cutesy" little running plays that "Brilliant" Bruce has designed are an effort to get RM running lanes, it ain't workin.  Time to line up and run right at the defense.

This Oline is hardly athletic enough to do a lot of pulling or slow-developing run plays.  If Mendenhall can't stick his nose in and push the pile, then start Red.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2011 at 13:10 »

For the life of me, I've never seen a RB turn his back to the LOS during a running play as much as he does.  He's good for one or two of those a game, at least.

IMO, the only thing keeping him in the starting lineup is his R1 pricetag.

That excuse does have a shelf life, tho.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2011 at 13:15 »

I've been Mendenhall's biggest fan 'round here, but I found his running last night unacceptable.  Not ready to throw the guy under the bus yet, but he certainly can't continue to dance like that (or, as aj points out, turn his back to contact) with this OL.  Redman is a better fit given the lack of space.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2011 at 13:27 »

Fix the OL and Mendenhall is magically springing 10, 15-yard runs regularly.

And Ben isn't crippled mid-season.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2011 at 14:12 »

Given the FO's unwillingness to do this and the time it would take to do this, the immediate solutions are: a less shitty OC and a less pussified RB.

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2011 at 14:13 »

True 'dat.

Seriously, the fuck is Flozell doing right now?  His cell should be blowing up.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2011 at 14:48 »

The way the line is configured, I don't mind Redman and Mendy splitting nearly 50/50, with Redman taking the early carries.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2011 at 18:25 »

Sometime in the 3rd quarter, RM was taking the ball up the middle, where he had a gap.  A small gap, to be sure, but more daylight than he had seen all night.  Does he take it?  No.  Instead he literally turns around, runs backwards, and tries to get outside on one of the fastest defenses in the league. 4-yd loss.

I remember that play and was going to mention it.  End zone view from behind the offense.  As Mendy gets to the line, there's a gap to his left.  slight shift and lower the shoulders for a good 4-5 yards, and instead tries to bounce outside.  Unless you're Barry Sanders, that's not acceptable.

Ben has the game to survive behind this kind of O-line.  Done it in some form or fashion for years.  Mendy doesn't seem to be able to make something out of nothing, which is the type of back we need right now.  Because it looks like there will be a whole lot of nothing from this OL for the forseeable future.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2011 at 18:43 »

The way the line is configured, I don't mind Redman and Mendy splitting nearly 50/50, with Redman taking the early carries.

At least 50/50.  Even if the coaching staff is not as negative about RM as I am, Redman has certainly earned the right to see the ball a lot more.

True 'dat.

Seriously, the fuck is Flozell doing right now?  His cell should be blowing up.

Hell, if you gotta, call Max Starks or Marvel Smith. 

I don't care if these guys have been sitting around eating twinkies and drinking chocolate milk all day, it's hard to believe they could be any worse than Jon Scott was last night.  There's no point in hashing over the stupidity of the schemes, oline techniques or play-calling.  Gotta try to find someone who at least has a chance to slow down the pass rush.  Or push a defensive lineman, you know, BACKWARDS.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: