Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 18, 2014 at 14:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cowher, Bettis, Dawson nominated for HOF  (Read 877 times)
VaBchSteelersfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Sep 28, 2011 at 16:52 »

Go, Bill!

http://postgazette.com/pg/11271/1178228-100-0.stm

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2011 at 17:11 »

On the first year guys, I see the three coaches, Rod Smith, and Tiki as possibly making the top 25 - maybe Troy Vincent as well.  Don't think any of them are first ballot guys except Parcells.

good opportunity for some previous nominees to get in - both Bus and Dirt might make it.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2011 at 18:17 »

I always like Schotty as a coach, but is a HOFer?  No SBs, bad post-seasons?  But fundamentally, one of the best coaches out there.  Great KC teams in the 90s.

Drew Bledsoe?  Are you shitting me?  Drew Bledsoe was Derek Anderson if Derek Anderson didn't suck.

If Dawson doesn't make it, it'll be a fucking travesty.  I think Bettis gets in, question only of when.

Look at the WR logjam:  *Tim Brown, *Cris Carter, Gary Clark, Mark Clayton, Henry Ellard, *Andre Reed, Sterling Sharpe, Jimmy Smith. 

A fuckload of talent on that list, really, at all spots. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2011 at 19:03 »

Rod Smith and Tiki Barber are already members of the Chickens of General Gao HOF.  There is no higher honor they can earn.

Schottenheimer?  No effing way.  Dick Vermeil belongs before Schottenheimer.

Could finally be Cris Carter's year.

Edit: Jack Kent Cooke isn't in yet?  Who knew?
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2011 at 20:46 by pensodyssey » Logged

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2011 at 08:06 »

I bet Schottenheimer gets in eventually, same for Cowher.  Parcells should get in now.  Bledsoe, don't see it.  Dawson has to go in when you consider that opponents across the board say he was THEE  BEST they ever played against.  There's no two ways about it, he's in.  Bettis has all the credentials and the jewelery, might not get in now but soon.

Tim Brown, Andre Reed and Chris Carter should get in eventually but you know, the longer some of those older WRs go w/out getting in the less chance they have what with the stats inflation that's occurring at the position.

Tiki Barber and Stephen Davis?  Really?  No way.  Eddie George, not so much.  Terrell Davis probably deserves it but that was a short career.  Herschel Walker, I don't know if the numbers are there but maybe for being part of that trade.

Frank Wycheck had a nice career, not a HOFer.

I don't see how any of those punters get in so long as the legendary Ray Guy isn't.

I can see Steve Sabol going in.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2011 at 08:29 »

Schottenheimer is 6th on the all-time wins list with 200, behind guys like Shula (328), Halas (318), Landry (250), Lambeau (226), and Paul Brown (213).  Just ahead of guys named Noll (193), Reeves (190), Knox (186), Parcells (172), and Bellichick (164).  My guess is Schotty makes it on sheer win volume, but whether that's the best measure of a HOF coach is debatable.

It's sort of like the Bledsoe thing.  He passed for 44,611 yards, 8th most overall behind Favre (71,838), Marino (61,361), Horseface (54,828), Elway, a.k.a. the Original Horseface (51,475), Moon (49,325), Tarkenton (47,003), and Testaverde (46,233).  Great job having a long and productive career as a passer, but I don't see how he or Testaverde belong.  Or the guy 10th on the list with 40,922 passing yards, just ahead of Montana (40,551), one active Indianapolis Colt named... Kerry Collins.  At some point you have to look at the whole body of work.

jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2011 at 10:00 »

It's kind of the same discussion when talking about "elite" QBs...How many times is Ben not mentioned in the same breath as Rivers, Manning (not thumb face), Brady, Palmer (really?) and now Rodgers.  I always base my argument on the whole body of work, the fact Ben is just a winner, has rings etc...and the counter arguments always revolve around stats.  I know Manning has all the numbers as well as Rivers but they're both chokers in the big games and I think that matters more that being the best regular season QB ever.   Funny thing is, Ben's stats are right up there with the big guns but for some reason (ie..personal drama, not a traditional pocket QB, haters) no one seems to notice them.  Like you said, Kerry Collins is up there in stats but would anyone have him in the HOF?  Or even on your fantasy team?  Or even under center on your real team?   Obviously, there's more than just stats to determine who's in or not but regardless, Drew Bledsoe should not be on that list.

Ray Guy should be in for sure.  How many punters actually had fans?  He was the shit when I was growin up.

I have Jack Kent Cooke on my fantasy team.  He's killing it for me

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 2011 at 11:14 »

It's kind of the same discussion when talking about "elite" QBs...How many times is Ben not mentioned in the same breath as Rivers, Manning (not thumb face), Brady, Palmer (really?) and now Rodgers.  I always base my argument on the whole body of work, the fact Ben is just a winner, has rings etc...and the counter arguments always revolve around stats.  I know Manning has all the numbers as well as Rivers but they're both chokers in the big games and I think that matters more that being the best regular season QB ever.   Funny thing is, Ben's stats are right up there with the big guns but for some reason (ie..personal drama, not a traditional pocket QB, haters) no one seems to notice them.

IMO, nowadays, not that many.  He's usually right up there in the top 5 or 6 in those discussions.  It's usually Brady and Manning, then, depending on the week, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Brees and Rivers.  That's basically the "elite" guys.  Sure, there are others on the cusp, but those guys are the only "elite" ones. 

Like you said, Kerry Collins is up there in stats but would anyone have him in the HOF?  Or even on your fantasy team?  Or even under center on your real team?   

Jim Caldwell is not impressed.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Sep 29, 2011 at 11:19 »

Kerry Collins?  He's no Curtis Painter, that's for sure.

The criticism of Ben is that we win in spite of him, presumably the defense and running game carrying his lame ass.  2005 is a perfect encapsulation of that.  Ben was brilliant in the playoffs, but had a bad Super Bowl.  But critics will look at the Super Bowl in a vacuum, as though the rest of the season and playoffs didn't exist. 

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2011 at 13:08 »

Is this the thread where we're supposed to post our keepers?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Sep 29, 2011 at 13:10 »

Penso is making Peyton his keeper.  And Randy Moss.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Sep 29, 2011 at 13:28 »

Michael Turner is the pick here.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Sep 29, 2011 at 15:02 »

No way.  Shaun Alexander and Donovan McNabb.

The chickens kickin it live in twenty oh five!

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Sep 29, 2011 at 17:18 »

No way.  Shaun Alexander and Donovan McNabb.

The chickens kickin it live in twenty oh five!

That's a smart move.  Alexander's a top-five pick, and McNabb shows no sign of slowing down.

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Sep 29, 2011 at 21:10 »

McNabb shows no sign of slowing down.

He couldn't be any slower if his shoes were filled with chunky soup.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #15 on: Sep 30, 2011 at 07:45 »

McNabb shows no sign of slowing down.

He couldn't be any slower if his shoes were filled with chunky soup.

That hit by Strahan clearly had a lingering effect.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: