Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 30, 2014 at 14:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saturday Fun  (Read 496 times)
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« on: Oct 18, 2011 at 10:17 »

Soooooo, I have busted out a few decent mtn bike rides over the last several weeks.  Did another one on Saturday, by far the biggest to date.  Huge ride for a Clyde sized fella.

The link below shows the ride just under 7,000 ft of ascent.  Another site I upload rides to shows it at 7,200 ft.  Either the GPS unit uses data from the sites to correct data (if you briefly lose signal, or are only picking up a couple of the satelites at certain points, or something) or the site uses known data points on the route an corrects it.

Anyway, a big ginormous ride.  Calorie burn of 5,400 calories.  Soooo, I guess I'm good for about 10 days as far as exercise goes.

There was 30 minutes of mechanical breakdown time, so the ride was right at 8 hrs including approx 1 hr 40 min of "non-moving time".    I have to stop and eat about every 2 hrs, max.  I also stop a few mins here and there to drink 3 or 4 oz's of a nutrient shake I have in a water bottle on my bike.  Keeps energy level up, hunger down, and gets some calories in the furnace between the food stops.  Stopping to eat and stuff really adds up.

Me and bike neighbor were guessing this ride would be around 5,500 or as much as 5,800 ft of ascent.  If I would have known ahead of time it was 7,000, I never would have done it.  Last Fall, or Spring, was the first time I did a 4,000 ft ride, so I guess I'm making progress. 

Click aerial on the map to get a google earth type of view.  You will see the burn area (brown terrain)from a huge forest fire about 15 years ago.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/121867678#

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2011 at 14:09 »

So where's the road?  About the fire, wonder why it's brown after 15 yrs?  Surely there's new growth and such?  Is it that there aren't large trees?

You sure kept the ticker humming, damn.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2011 at 14:46 »

Avg Speed: 4.7 mph

Ha!

Pussy!

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2011 at 14:56 »

He forgot to bring the poop saddlebags and thus had to make frequent kashi stops.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2011 at 15:13 »

Penso says if you throw out that big downhill section, then Mendenhall and Big Virgil have basically the same average MPH and you're all a bunch of retarts!
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2011 at 09:21 »

So where's the road?  About the fire, wonder why it's brown after 15 yrs?  Surely there's new growth and such?  Is it that there aren't large trees?

You sure kept the ticker humming, damn.

"where I ride, I don't need roads"!!!!

There is quite a bit of ground cover now.  A lot of plants and such most of which are knee high or smaller.  There are some trees growing, but very few and they are still pretty small.  There is a lot of rock outcroppings and rocky terain, so from space it will probably look brown for a while.  Also, the image used could be several years old.

There is a section between 25 and 30 miles that is an unbelievably unbelievable grind.  It's rideable, but 3.7 miles of switchbacks.  Usually when I get to this section there is less mileage/climbing on my legs and I can ride it in 52 minutes.  On this ride it took me 64 mins.  It is lap 2 on the link.

Two long downhill sections on this.  The first one is about an hour into the ride.  6 miles of down.  A couple of short climbers in there but it's fun.  The other one about the 30 mile mark and about 4 miles I think. Supa kewl.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2011 at 09:27 »

Avg Speed: 4.7 mph

Ha!

Pussy!

LOL - 90+ minutes of down time kills the average.  My moving time avg was 6.2.  Blazing fast!!!!!!!!

This is manly off road riding.  None of that sissy pavement crap.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: