Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 25, 2014 at 14:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Congratulations, Bruce  (Read 1097 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Oct 31, 2011 at 08:33 »

You're officially out of the dog house.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2011 at 09:15 »

BA has about 3 moments of clarity per year when devising a game plan.  Fortunately yesterday was one of them.

On 2nd thought, Tomlin or someone probably came up with the plan and explained it to Brucey.  I swear I saw Fischer-Price on BA's headset yesterday.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2011 at 10:04 »

I heard Tunch say that Ben was calling his own plays.  And that explains much.  Don't know if he was strictly referring to the times they ran no huddle. 

Still though, Arians should be (grudgingly) credited for the game plan.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2011 at 10:47 »

Did a great job of putting up yardage (per usual), but a shitty job of putting up points (per usual). The one key thing for which I'll give him and/or someone else running the offense credit is conducting slow, methodical drives that kept Brady on the sidelines. The D did a pretty good job, too.

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2011 at 11:29 »

No matter how you slice and dice it, they came out with a plan that exploited and attacked NE's weaknesses.  They gave New England a taste of their own medicine except they've got a defense that can back the offense up.

C'mon, when was the last time you saw them do something unexpected; something that wasn't from the "it's what we do and by golly, we're gonna keep doing it until it works" playbook?  Using Miller repeatedly in the passing game instead of as an extra blocker?  Quick strike offense?  Take what the defense gives you instead of always going for the kill shot?  It was beautiful.

Honestly, I don't remember the last time that it felt like Pittsburgh "out coached" New England.  That's what it felt like on Sunday.  And, the best part?  New England didn't seem to have an answer at any point in that game.  I was expecting a shift in the second half, but there was no Belichick magic or "genius" shift in their approach.  They looked...overwhelmed.

Well played, boys.  Well played.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2011 at 12:38 »

C'mon, when was the last time you saw them do something unexpected; something that wasn't from the "it's what we do and by golly, we're gonna keep doing it until it works" playbook?  Using Miller repeatedly in the passing game instead of as an extra blocker?  Quick strike offense?  Take what the defense gives you instead of always going for the kill shot?  It was beautiful.

I think what happened was, in prepping for the cardinals they dug out all of the old whizinator files.  Then BA accidentally stumbled across the game plan for the Colts in the 07 playoffs.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2011 at 14:02 »

I think what happened was, in prepping for the cardinals they dug out all of the old whizinator files.  Then BA accidentally stumbled across the game plan for the Colts in the 07 playoffs.

I think they said WWBB do?  And basically used the Patsies' game plan against themsleves.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2011 at 14:03 »

thumb

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Joetorious

« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2011 at 14:24 »

It's almost bittersweet that the game plan worked, as, partially in the words of Lou Brown, they won't "ever fucking do it again."

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
jasonic

« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2011 at 14:59 »

He doesn't get a pass for the atrocious clock management at the end of the game.  Run the ball, we're getting like 7 yds a clip, run the clock down and don't give Brady the ball with 18 secs left on the clock.  Also, if they didn't kick the most ridiculously bad onside kick I've ever seen, they would've had the ball again with over 2 mins left.  That's a little too much to sweat over when we were dominating them the whole game.  The red zone offense was weak, we never should've been close to that final score.  That's on BA for at least 75% of that.

I think the unsung hero is Carnell Lake.  Our DBs improvement is astounding.  i actually said more than once yesterday, "wow, good play by Gay there."  I think it was the first time ever.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2011 at 15:07 »

He doesn't get a pass for the atrocious clock management at the end of the game.  Run the ball, we're getting like 7 yds a clip, run the clock down and don't give Brady the ball with 18 secs left on the clock.  Also, if they didn't kick the most ridiculously bad onside kick I've ever seen, they would've had the ball again with over 2 mins left.  That's a little too much to sweat over when we were dominating them the whole game.  The red zone offense was weak, we never should've been close to that final score.  That's on BA for at least 75% of that.

I think the unsung hero is Carnell Lake.  Our DBs improvement is astounding.  i actually said more than once yesterday, "wow, good play by Gay there."  I think it was the first time ever.

Yes and yes.  BA called good stuff 95% of the time, but if the endgame playcalling wound up killing us, it would have been a nightmare.  He does need to have a better plan in hand for situational stuff but it seems like he gets greedy.  (I know... they won't expect pass!  We'll pass here and get 7 and kill those bastards!)  And yeah, between the 20s, brilliant, RZ, shitty, for the most part.  Need to convert more 7s.

And I also noted that Lake seems to have really gotten this squad turned around.  I wonder if DL will call more man cover now?  Especially against the passing teams...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2011 at 22:50 »

The pass plays on the last sequence fall on Tomlin anyway.  No doubt about it.  If BA was calling those pass plays, it was up to Tomlin to check him.  Tomlin got all the credit for that "gutsy" (pass) play call to clinch last years AFCC; he has to take the blame here.  Long story short, Tomlin's clock management is "fair" at best.

The redzone offense is a different story.  It seemed too methodical (of the 3-5 yard check down and dump sort), often setting up 3rd down and short but closer to the goaline with not much field to work with.  And I understand that our receivers are relatively short, but I feel like I haven't seen a fade to the corner since 2003.   

Carnell Lake is the man though.  One of my all-time favorites.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2011 at 10:16 »

Welp.  That was short lived.

Truth be told, I think most figured it was temporary, anyway.  You were out, but they still had to use the invisible fence on you to keep you from shitting in the neighbors yard.  Yeah, you'd do OK some days, but on others, you'd blow through the fence and be a complete pain in the ass.

So, back in you go...to in all likelihood, live out your days until you're eventually taken out behind the shed and put out of your misery.

Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2011 at 20:57 »

I wear my sunglasses at night...

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: