Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 24, 2014 at 22:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Needed: One Kicker.  (Read 898 times)
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2011 at 13:26 »

Giving all the credit to Belicheck for the Patsies success is kind of like giving Erik Spoelstra credit for the Heat making the NBA Finals.  When you have one of the best players of all time playing the most important position, a lot of that takes care of itself.  This season in particular I think shows the flaws in Belicheck's game, even moreso as a GM/talent evaluator.  He put that defense together and he just assumes he can sign everyone's shitty/disgruntled players and they will just work.  How's that Ochocinco signing going?

But yeah, anyone who wants Tomlin gone is kind of an idiot.  Dude isn't a master in-game coach, but he gets the players ready and deviates to his assistants to keep the gameplans in place.  You could argue he is too trusting of his assistants, but Tomlin wasn't brought in here because of his schemes.  He was hired because he's a leader.  Leave the scheming to the coordinators, Head Coaches get too much credit/blame when a team is playing very well or very poorly.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
jburghfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2011 at 13:41 »

Belichick is 167-97 (.633).......Tomlin is 49-24 (.671).......
Joetorious

« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2011 at 13:44 »

Giving all the credit to Belicheck for the Patsies success is kind of like giving Erik Spoelstra credit for the Heat making the NBA Finals.  When you have one of the best players of all time playing the most important position, a lot of that takes care of itself.  This season in particular I think shows the flaws in Belicheck's game, even moreso as a GM/talent evaluator.  He put that defense together and he just assumes he can sign everyone's shitty/disgruntled players and they will just work.  How's that Ochocinco signing going?

But yeah, anyone who wants Tomlin gone is kind of an idiot.  Dude isn't a master in-game coach, but he gets the players ready and deviates to his assistants to keep the gameplans in place.  You could argue he is too trusting of his assistants, but Tomlin wasn't brought in here because of his schemes.  He was hired because he's a leader.  Leave the scheming to the coordinators, Head Coaches get too much credit/blame when a team is playing very well or very poorly.

Anyone who wants Tomlin gone is "kind of an idiot"? If you're going to be a prick, at least don't beat around the bush. BTW, it's "delegate," not "deviate."

Anyway, if you want to get into personnel decisions, Tomlin is pedestrian/borderline terrible. You've already acknowledged he isn't much of an in-game coach (which should be a min. qual. of any NFL-caliber HC, IMO).

If he's "deviating" to his assistants to keep the game plan in place, that suggests he created the game plan. For how many years have we been bitching about the offense's game plan?

In terms of being a leader, who does he inspire? Ben doesn't listen to him. Arians doesn't either. The team has come out flat and unprepared numerous times during his tenure.

But if you like coach speak, he's your man.

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
jburghfan

« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2011 at 13:53 »

Games without Tom Brady.....Belichick is 51-60 (.459).....
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2011 at 14:05 »

Guys, seriously, of all the things Steeler fans should be bitching and moaning about, the competency of the head coach shouldn't be one of them.

He's not perfect and he has things he needs to improve on, but he's still a damn good coach.  Remember, he's only got 4 seasons as "The Man" under his belt.

Nowhere to go but up, IMO.

Edit:  Besides, at least his last name isn't Sandusky or Paterno.
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2011 at 14:13 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2011 at 14:14 »

Now get me a damn kicker fer chrissakes!

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2011 at 15:45 »

Week 4: Mendenhall should be cut.

Week 8: Tomlin should be fired.

Week 12: Colbert should be canned.

Week 16: The cheap-ass Rooneys should sell the team.

Careful or you'll blow out a knee jerking it too much.

I do like coach speak though.  Especially when it's at the Super Bowl media day.
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2011 at 15:49 by pensodyssey » Logged

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #17 on: Nov 07, 2011 at 16:02 »

Pump the brakes a bit. If I would have told you we will be 6-3 going into the bye week most of you would be content. Last 7 games ---

Cincinnati-W
KC - W
Cincinnati -W
Cleveland -W
San Fran- L
St Louis - W
Cleveland- W

I think worst case scenario we finish 11-5. Just get to the playoffs and let our experience take over.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2011 at 16:08 »

Steelers won't go 4-0 against the Browns/Bengals.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #19 on: Nov 07, 2011 at 19:15 »

Steelers won't go 4-0 against the Browns/Bengals.

I have to agree with that.  Steelers are 1-3 against teams that currently have a winning record.  Fortunately though, they only have 3 remaining games against two teams with winning records.  They could go 11-5 and conceivably get a WC spot while the Ravens rent the division for the year.

So, 5-2 the rest of the way is the order here.  Go 4-0 against the bad teams and 1-2 against the 49ers and the Bengals.  If they can't manage better than 10-6 there will another with a better conference record - Steelers already have 3 losses in that column.

Knowing what I know now, if they can knock off the Ravens in the playoffs I'd consider this a successful season.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: