Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 27, 2014 at 08:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Television is good stuff  (Read 621 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Nov 22, 2011 at 22:31 »

Finally got around to checking out this 70s band that Finny recommended long ago.  Been listening to Marquee Moon and it's damn good.  Can't believe I never heard of these guys before.  Only a few listens in but this is going into the regular rotation.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2011 at 23:11 »

Finny's been recommending television since he saw his first episode of Andy Griffith.

That's a great album though.  I've always said the best first album by a band except Zep 1. 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2011 at 07:17 »

Damn it...I thought this post was going to be about the finale of Dancing With The Stars.  Wink

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2011 at 08:25 »

Finny's been recommending television since he saw his first episode of Andy Griffith.

That's a great album though.  I've always said the best first album by a band except Zep 1.  

I like reading music reviews, blogs and Top X lists, was perusing Pitchfork's Top 100 Albums of the 70's and Marquee Moon was top 10.  Recognizing the name from posts here I checked it out and glad I did.  Strange thing though, the next fucking day I was listening to Radio Lab (or was it Studio 360?) in the car and hear the first chords of Marquee Moon (title track), some guy was discussing something or another, not necessarily the band but the interplay of the opening notes and the two guitars, how essentially simple components can combine to make a greater piece - hell I don't know, it was time to leave the car.  So, I've probably been hearing Television stuff all along but never knew about it.  But I don't think so, that was a kwinky-dink.

What was the #1 album of the 70's according to Pitchfork?  David Bowie's Low (1977).  Really?  Yeah, really.  Don't think I've heard a single track from that album and, in fact, have never heard of the album.  Anyone?

Damn it...I thought this post was going to be about the finale of Dancing With The Stars.  Wink

Spoiler:  Hines wins it!
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2011 at 08:28 by jonzr » Logged

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2011 at 09:00 »

It was Studio 360.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2011 at 09:10 »

What was the #1 album of the 70's according to Pitchfork?  David Bowie's Low (1977).  Really?  Yeah, really.  Don't think I've heard a single track from that album and, in fact, have never heard of the album.  Anyone?

There were four eno/bowie albums.  That was one of them, along with Station to Station, Heroes and another one I can't remember.  The only 'hit' from low is 'Sound and Vision'.  Basically that makes Pitchfork's top 10 list prickish and hipster, because Low isn't better than either of the first 2 Roxy Music albums (also with eno) let alone a million and a half other albums released in the 70s.  It is good though.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2011 at 17:07 »

Agree, Low is good, but not even my fave Bowie, let alone best of the best.  Other Bowie/Eno was Lodger.  Low does have some neat Eno-ish influence, but I think he hijacks Bowie a bit on those albums. 

Another pretty good album to check out is Matthew Sweet's Altered Beast.  Very pop, but with Voidoid/Lou Reed guitarist Robert Quine (!) strangling out solos against Richard Lloyd (Television), so an interesting contrast.  They're on a few Sweet albums, but this is the best.  100% fun is pretty good, but not up to AB, but having those two guitarists together is cool.  Sweet came to Harrisburg, but Quine is RIP and Lloyd's not with him any more, so. 

Anyone hear the Kills doing SJH's I Put a Spell on You?  I liked it.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2011 at 21:03 »

Quote from: Finnegans Wake
Other Bowie/Eno was Lodger.  Low does have some neat Eno-ish influence, but I think he hijacks Bowie a bit on those albums.

Lodger.  Weird I couldn't remeber it since I think it's actually the best of the bunch.

As for hijacking the album, Bowie built his career on letting people do things for him.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2011 at 10:09 »

Quote from: Finnegans Wake
Other Bowie/Eno was Lodger.  Low does have some neat Eno-ish influence, but I think he hijacks Bowie a bit on those albums.

Lodger.  Weird I couldn't remeber it since I think it's actually the best of the bunch.

As for hijacking the album, Bowie built his career on letting people do things for him.

I have a hard time picking a fave, as they all seem one of a piece.  And not saying that Eno's hijack is necessarily bad, but rather that Bowie steps back a bit; still some great stuff.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
DrRockit
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2011 at 11:06 »

If you like Television, check out Wire. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: