Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 19, 2014 at 13:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ravens remaining opponents and playoff picture  (Read 934 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Dec 06, 2011 at 12:03 »

vs. Colts; @ Chargers; vs. Browns; @ Bengals

I don't like to look too far ahead, but these are the teams that Steeler fans need to root for during the next month or so against Balty.  Unfortunately, Indy will likely be a laugher; Sandy Eggo could be interesting as it's at their place and with their win last night, are still on life support for the division title even though they're currently in the basement; I'd expect Cleveland to be another snoozer; and that leaves Cincy, who may/may not have something to play for in the last week of the season.

I'm with Penz and think that somewhere in there a loss lurks for Balty.

Obviously, Pittsburgh needs to take care of bizness and can't stumble against the shitty Browns (twice) or the Rams.  And, that west coast trip to San Fran should be a doozy.  A loss there is basically a guaranteed WC spot.

Stating the obvious here and as a few have mentioned in another thread, Pittsburgh needs to win out and hope that somebody trips up the Ravens to get a bye.

Also, just as a point of reference, here are the opponents for the teams still "in the hunt:"

Patriots - @ Redskins (W); @ Broncos (W); vs. Dolphins (W); vs. Bills (W)
Jets - vs. Chiefs (W); @ Eagles (L); Giants (L); @ Dolphins (L)
Ravens - vs. Colts (W); @ Chargers (L); vs. Browns (W); @ Bengals (W)
Steelers - vs. Browns (W); @ Niners (L); vs. Rams (W); @ Browns (W)
Bengals - vs. Texans (L); @ Rams (W); vs. Cardinals (W); vs. Ravens (L)
Texans - @ Bengals (W); vs. Panthers (L); @ Colts (L); vs. Titans (L)
Titans - vs. Saints (L); @ Colts (L); vs. Jaguars (W); @ Texans (W)
Broncos - vs. Bears (W); vs. Patriots (L); @ Bills (L); vs. Chiefs (L)
Raiders - @ Packers (L); vs. Lions (W); @ Chiefs (W); vs. Chargers (L)

For yucks, here's what I think the playoff picture will look like:

1.) Ravens
2.) Texans
3.) Patriots
4.) Broncos
5.) Steelers
6.) Raiders Bengals
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2012 at 13:07 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 12:41 »

The Chargers could definitely give the Ravens some trouble -- a road game across the country is never easy. And if the Bengals have a playoff appearance on the line, that final game of the year could go our way.

The Steelers have been so inconsistent that I'm actually more worried about their ability to win out; although, when you look at it, it should only mean having to go 1-0 -- beat San Fran. No way this team should lose to the Browns or Rams.

I still don't think San Fran is for real, as in, I don't think they're an elite team, but an above average team playing in a shitty division with some good luck this year.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 13:00 »

Lots of possible ways the next 4 weeks could play out.  It's still conceivable the road to the Super Bowl runs through the Burgh.

Add Oakland - @ Packers; Lions; @ Chiefs; Chargers.

I don’t see the Patriots losing from here out.  Redskins and Broncos will be speed bumps.  Dolphins are playing solid ball but I think they need the perfect storm; first game in Miami went 38-24.  Bills are fucking done, they’re ridiculous.

1.   Patriots (13-3)

Steelers get something of a scheduling gift, with both Browns games (damned well better be big wins) and the feckless Rams.  Niners on the road is the test, but Niners have clinched and Steelers are peaking.  Score was 6-6 for 3 quarters in the Ravens-Niners game, expect the Steelers to put up more earlier.

2.   Steelers (13-3)

Texans get a test this week with a Bengals team that’s played well but come up short in the division.  They’ll be motivated and get after Yates.  After that, I expect the Texans can handle the rest of the schedule, including division rival Titans.  They’ll smother the Titans offense and pound their runners.

3.   Texans (12-4)

AFCW gets interesting.  Chargers would need to win out to get to 9-7, and that ain’t happening.  I can see the Broncos losing to a Bears team on the rebound and getting whooped by the Patriots.  That still gets them to 9-7.  Raiders will lose at GB and should drop at least one more (Lions, Chargers), and that puts them behind the Broncos by a tiebreaker.  But if they do beat the Lions, don’t be surprised if they get the 4 seed at 10-6.  Raiders need their playmakers back healthy, and time is running out.

4.   Broncos (9-7)

Ravens could run the table and be the 2 seed rather easily, but road games against lesser teams have undone them this year.  I can see a healthy Chargers offense upsetting them, or possibly a motivated Bengals team at home. 

5.   Ravens (12-4)

I’m not buying the Jets, because that offense still looks like a bunch of poufs.  They were 13-13 against the Redskins going into the fourth quarter.  I think one of the NFCE teams will beat them, probably a Giants team fighting for its life, and I can see the Dolphins beating them.  9-7 doesn’t get you the 6 seed.

Titans should lose to the Saints, and then win a couple.  I just don’t think they’re as good as the Texans, even if the Texans clinch.  I think they’re also a 9-7 team.

Whoever misses the AFCW (Oakland, Denver) is likely 9-7 or worse.  That leaves the Bengals.  As noted, this week’s game at home against the Texans is critical, and I think they win it.  Even if they drop the final game against the Ravens, I can see them getting to 10-6, and 11-5 is not out of the question.

6.   Bengals (10-6).

WC matchups:  Bengals revisit the pivotal game of their season, this time in Houston.  I don’t expect the Texans to go deep into the playoffs with their QB situation, but I do think that these two teams are so evenly matched that changing HFA swings the outcome.  Prediction:  Texans.

Ravens go to Denver and the Ravens defense makes Tebow cry.  A thorough gutting.  Prediction:  Ravens.

Div Round:  Texans at Steelers.  Another AFCN-Houston rematch, this time with the Steelers at home against a lesser QB.  Payback, bitches.  Prediction:  Steelers

Ravens at Patriots.  Teams with good defenses (the Bills pre-injuries, Steelers, Giants; Dallas almost) can beat this Patriots team, and the Patriots can’t stop anyone.  Motivated Ravens D gets it done.  Prediction:  Ravens.

AFCC:  Ravens at Steelers.  The payback tour continues.  Ravens defense gets after Ben, but he makes enough plays to get it done.  Offense is clicking at the right time, defense is starting to move up as well.  Prediction:  Steelers.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 13:39 »

Ravens at Patriots.  Teams with good defenses (the Bills pre-injuries, Steelers, Giants; Dallas almost) can beat this Patriots team, and the Patriots can’t stop anyone.  Motivated Ravens D gets it done.  Prediction:  Ravens.

Exactly why I think the Pats stumble against the Broncos in Denver.  Denver's defense will give the Patriots fits and the Bronco running game might hit 300 yards on the ground against NE.

That would bump Pats down to #2 or #3 depending on what the Texans do over their remaining 4.  To be honest, I could see them running the table and snagging a bye.

Besides, it was too easy to give Pats the #1.  Had to come up with some way they get bumped down.  And, I had Oakland in the mix from the getgo.  If things break well after Packers and they get a few guys back, they could win out and snag #6.

Eh, as you said, lotta possibilities at this point.  Don't like predicting this far out, but I was bored after lunch...

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 15:24 »

I like any scenario that has the Steelers beating the Ravens in the playoffs.  Yo Joe Flacco, 2 out of 3 ain't bad, kid.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2011 at 15:26 »

I don't see a Pats loss ATM.

Texans will drop one as teams get more film on Yates.  Maybe this week @Cincy, but Panthers playing well at times and Johnson seems to have crawled out from under his money pile to actually help the Titans.

Ravens may lose to Chargers on the road:  crappy team trap+West coast trip + Chargers annual December resurgence - I think Rivers is now 692-(- 3) in the month of December or something like that.  Otherwise Bungles with something to play for possible threat, but not counting on that.

Steelers 12-4 at worst - only problem should be San Fran.  No idea what to expect there.  Long rest should help.

Denver should pull out win at home vs. severely depleted Bears, lose to Pats, beat Bills + Chiefs, win division.

WC #2 - Could see Jets, Bengals, and Titans all at 10-6.  Raiders 9-7 and out of it.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2011 at 14:08 »

One week later, I'm already backtracking on my prediction.

I had Oakland as the #6 seed, but with all their injuries, they're stuck in reverse.  No way can they get it going and do any damage missing McFadden and the WRs.  As msdmnr said, that second wildcard is likely going to come down to Jets, Bengals and Titans.  Despite what a lot of the NY media are spouting, of those three, I think the Jets have toughest remaining road.  Eagles and Giants will be difficult to overcome.  I think they'll both be losses. 

That leaves Cincy and Tennessee.  Both teams wrap the season up playing teams that may/may not have something to play for.  For fun, I'm going to give that last seed to the Bengals, but I don't really believe it.  The Tits could easily bounce into that spot.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2011 at 12:49 »

Something worth noting is Anquan Boldin's knee:  he's having his meniscus repaired after it got ripped in Tuesday's walk-through (?).

The Ravens gifted us an opportunity, duly squandered, but now that Ravens-Bungles game week 17 in Cinci gains much more importance.  Assuming the Steelers TCOB against Rams and Brownies, and the Bungles beat the Cards in Cinci this week, we need the Bungles to be motivated in that final game.  They're 8-6 but behind the 8-6 Jets, so we kind of have to hope for the Giants to beat the Jets. 

If the Bengals beat the Ratties and we wind up 12-4, the Colts just did us a favor by beating the Texans.  We'd be 12-4 and the 2 seed, with a bye natch.  Be nice to have the bye and HFA.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2011 at 12:52 »

Oh, and if all that came to pass, we could wind up in a Heinz Field revenge match for the AFCC against said Ratties.  If 5 Balt beats 4 Den, and 6 Cinci beats 3 Hou, then we beat Cinci at home, Ratties take out the Pats in Lady Schick, and then we beat Fucco to get back to the dance.

CARLIE BATS SUPPER BLOW MVP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2012 at 14:43 »

Well, here we are, about a month later and the playoffs are now set.  A few things happened that I didn't expect and some played out about how I thought they would.

Ravens - Expected them to win the division and snag the #1, not #2.  However, that was more a result of my belief that the Pats would stumble somewhere along the way to either the Broncos in Denver or the Fins in Miami.  The Dolphins had their shot and made a great effort, but apparently they decided to put forth the effort for 30 instead of 60 minutes.

Texans - Really surprised by the late season swoon.  As soon as they hit the 10-3 mark and clinched a playoff spot, they put it in cruise control and skated through their remaining games.  Even with Yates, I thought they would run the table and only be challenged by the Panthers.  Instead, they cough and sputter down to a #3 seed by way of three straight losses.  It's too bad to because the extra week would've really helped them get healthy.  Now they have to play this week in what many think might be a "one and done."

Patriots - As mentioned above, with that poor defense, thought they were ripe for an upset against the run heavy Broncos or their intra-divisional rival Dolphins.  In hindsight, that might've been more wishful thinking as the very real prospect of a Steelers/Patriots rematch at Gillette looms.  Tough to beat those bastards once in a season, nevermind giving them a second chance at their place.  OK.  Fine.  Whatever.  They got the #1 instead.  The few Patriot fans around me don't feel all that confident about it though and I wouldn't either.  If the opposition has an offense with a pulse and a decent defense that can punch Brady in the mouth a bit, they've got a great shot at knocking off the top dog.  The 2011 Pats might be one of the weaker #1s we've seen on the AFC side in awhile.  Then again, maybe that's just more wishful thinking.

Broncos - Where I expected them to fall, but they made it interesting and did their damnedest to give it away to one of the other AFCW shart teams.  Oakland had so many chances, but kept shooting their load before they could get her panties off.  Ridiculous.  The only team that might be happier than Denver is Cincy who won't have to pony up as much in that Carson Daly deal.

Steelers - With the injury to Ben, exactly I expected them to finish.  As a Steeler fan, you gotta wonder how things woulda played out if they start Batch/Dixon against the Niners; maybe they pull out a win instead, maybe not.  Water under the bridge.  Gotta run this bitch now.

Bengals - Backed into the playoffs and get the good fortune of a very favorable matchup.  Can't hope for much better than facing a reeling Texans team with an injured rookie QB, star WR and TE.  Plus, when they faced each other a month ago, the Bengals had them dead to rights and but for two very late TD drives by Yates in the final half of the 4th quarter, they steal a road win.  Cincy is probably the healthiest of all AFC playoff teams and they should be pissed about how their last matchup turned out.  I'm leaning towards an underdog win in this one.

Jets - Thought they would lose two of their remaining three and out of the playoffs.  Wasn't expecting a complete sweep.  EL OH MOTHERFUCKING EL!!  Let the offseason fingerpointing hilarity ensue.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: