Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 20, 2014 at 15:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mendenhall done  (Read 915 times)
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Jan 02, 2012 at 15:25 »

ACL torn. Surgery in a week or so due to swelling etc. Will be IR'd.  Moore may be ready. Dwyer still out. Redman, Moore, Clay hierarchy? Bad news.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2012 at 18:58 »

You obviously didn't get the news that Mendenhall is a bum who should have been cut after week 7.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2012 at 19:24 »

Assuming RedZone is not going to be fumbling on a regular basis, I don't really think it's that big of a deal. Would be nice to get Moore back out there for the odd catch & run.

LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2012 at 03:47 »

When is Mendy's deal up? Maybe it's time to pick up a (better) RB in round 2 or 3.

Forgive me for mentioning the draft this early. Forgot I'm not a Browns fan.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2012 at 10:02 »

Insert Quote
When is Mendy's deal up? Maybe it's time to pick up a (better) RB in round 2 or 3.

I thought he had gotten a new deal, but everywhere I'm looking says he's still on his rookie contract, which makes sense.  Last year of deal is 2012, so horrible timing for him on injury.  He'll have to play it out to prove his worth. 

I'm of a philosophy you don't pay big bucks for RB unless it's an all time great (Bettis for example).  Most replaceable position on the field IMO, and they break down fastest.  Keep bringing in young hungry guys for a few years, then let someone else overpay for them later.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2012 at 10:10 »

I'm of a philosophy you don't pay big bucks for RB unless it's an all time great (Bettis for example).  Most replaceable position on the field IMO, and they break down fastest.  Keep bringing in young hungry guys for a few years, then let someone else overpay for them later.

Agreed.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2012 at 11:08 »

Assuming RedZone is not going to be fumbling on a regular basis, I don't really think it's that big of a deal. Would be nice to get Moore back out there for the odd catch & run.

Count me in as one that doesn't think the difference in production between RM and IR is going to suffer for the playoffs; it's really the remaining productive depth behind that has me concerned.  At the beginning of the season, I was worried about the RB situation behind Mendy and that was with a healthy MeMo.  Without either?  Fingers crossed that Red can stay healthy carrying the load for 4 games or so.

Also, if opposing teams take a relaxed approach to the Steelers' ability to run the ball now and focus primarily on Ben, it'll only open things up even more for Redman.

Obviously, Pittsburgh's success continues to be predicated on Ben getting healthy and being back in sync with the offense.

Agreed.

+2.

As I've hypothesized before, having an elite/stud RB often puts teams behind the 8 ball towards winning Championships.  Generally, a RB can't carry a team to a title and their big contract usually handcuffs a team from giving a big contract to a franchise type QB. 

A great example of this is the Ravens this year.  It will be interesting to see what they do with Ray Rice who's a FA and Flacco who's going into his final season.  And, while I don't consider Flacco a "franchise QB," he's all they got. 

This is the last year of Mendenhall's deal.  Pittsburgh would be wise not to extend his contract.  If he recovers in time for the '12 season, let him play it out and walk or just cut him after this season and bring in a mid level type FA (a Hightower or Tashard Choice type) or draft a RB in the early to mid rounds or both.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2012 at 10:48 »

RB Chad Spann promoted from the practice squad, and CB/ST Anthony Madison re-singed.  They replace OLB Chris Carter and RB Mendenhall, both on IR.  Spann's out of Northern Illinois (a.m. of Michael Turner), and at 5'7" 209#, he's sort of a Sproles-Lite.  Madison is back largely due to STs injuries to gunners Keenan Lewis and Cortez Allen.  Hope Lewis's hammy heals, he's been a real pleasant surprise, and Allen suuposedly had a dislocated shoulder, but they didn't IR him.  12 guys on IR.

I've traditionally been a huge Mendy supporter in the face of this board's critics, and would love to see him stay here.  But the deal isn't going down right now.  Do the deals for Brown and Sanders, and play the waiting game with Mendy.  Unless he's ready to go ridiculously low-ball, see how he plays out the contract year and whether he gets injured.  Can always tag him if need be, but the issue of RB fungibility and the potential comp pick return might be worth it. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2012 at 14:47 »

Heard from my cousin's roommate's uncle's half-brother that Mendenhall won't be ready for start of 2012 season and will begin season on PUP list.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2012 at 16:34 »

It's really a shame for Mendy, I as well was a supporter but the guy's luck just seems to be short some sunlight.  An odd timed fumble and then too many spins and an ACL....just bad damn luck

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: