Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 30, 2014 at 04:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Colts shitcan Polian.  (Read 741 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Jan 02, 2012 at 19:05 »

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7414912/indianapolis-colts-fire-bill-polian-chris-polian-peyton-manning-stunned-decision

Wow. 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2012 at 21:14 »

He had a long run there.  Guess the Manning injury highlighted deficiencies throughout the roster.  Or maybe Irsay wanted the new guy to pick Andrew Luck.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2012 at 11:24 »

Don't see how Caldwell will survive.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2012 at 00:00 »

Nor should he.  Dude is horrible.  I think at this point the Colts should just get it over with and name Manning player/coach.  By the terms of his contract, he basically owns the team anyway. 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2012 at 08:08 »

Nor should he.  Dude is horrible.  I think at this point the Colts should just get it over with and name Manning player/coach.  By the terms of his contract, he basically owns the team anyway. 

I believe they owe Manning a ginormous roster bonus next spring.  So I wouldn't be surprised to them cut the Manning ties and move on with Luck.  I hear he's pretty good.  Then Chicago can sing Manning and win the Supper Blow.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2012 at 08:44 »

I believe they owe Manning a ginormous roster bonus next spring.  So I wouldn't be surprised to them cut the Manning ties and move on with Luck.   I hear he's pretty good.  Then Chicago can sing Manning and win the Supper Blow.

That's exactly the case (sometime in March, I think) and it's what I would expect them to do.  I think that may have played a part in Polian getting the boot too.  I think Irsay and Polian had fundamental differences in the direction of the franchise.  Polian is probably loyal to Manning, the guy he drafted and Irsay sees the opportunity to Luck into another once in a lifetime QB.  Despite what they say, I don't think they could coexist on the team.

Crazy to say it, but Manning a FA?  I think there might be some interest...

LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2012 at 09:54 »

Wait for it....

ISING PAYTON MANING!!!11 CHEAP ASS RONEYS, HELLO!

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2012 at 10:36 »

WE SHOOT HIGHER POLLY ANN!!!!!  CAN YOU SAY DINOSSEY?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2012 at 16:04 »

ISING PAYTON MANING!!!11 CHEAP ASS RONEYS, HELLO!

WE SHOOT HIGHER POLLY ANN!!!!!  CAN YOU SAY DINOSSEY?

These crack me up every time!

But also: what are the odds of Cowher going to the Colts? I've heard him say many times that if he goes back, he wants to land in a place with a franchise QB and where he can have a good relationship with the GM. Wonder if the Colts clearing out their front office is a means toward luring a name coach with visions of owning the personnel decision-making of the team?

My guess is that they'll just release Manning, but if I were a Colts fan, I would be pissed about not getting anything for him. 

And my hunch is that Cowher will actually never coach again, but wonder what others think.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2012 at 16:21 »

And my hunch is that Cowher will actually never coach again, but wonder what others think.

That Sunday morning job seems pretty cushy.  I bet the salary ain't bad either, why would he go back?

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2012 at 16:22 »

Manning has always shown that he doesn't care all that much about the money. IIRC, wasn't Manning actually opposed to the big contract from a couple of years ago because he didn't want to limit the ability for the team to sign other players. I thought that the franchise insisted on making him the highest paid QB or something like that (bet they're regretting that decision BTW).

My best guess (and what I think they should do) is try to renegotiate/restructure that big bonus that they owe him, draft Luck and let him sit for a little while and learn. Keep both, start Manning, and revisit this decision next year (and every year after that to determine if Luck is ready and if Manning is done). They can always try to trade him or cut him later on, but it's pretty risky getting rid of Manning for someone who's never taken an NFL snap before. Remember, people thought that Ryan Leaf was a pretty good QB coming out of college too.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2012 at 16:27 »

If Manning can still play they could get some nice draft picks.  But it's a gamble either way.  As for the money thing, he sure whores himself out for commercials. 

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2012 at 19:22 »

That Sunday morning job seems pretty cushy.  I bet the salary ain't bad either, why would he go back?

Wonder how many more years have to go by before nobody's really interested in bringing him back?  Sooner or later, the game passes you by, no?

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2012 at 20:49 »

Wonder how many more years have to go by before nobody's really interested in bringing him back?  Sooner or later, the game passes you by, no?

If it hasn't already.  Cowher's teams won't be remembered for their offenses, and Goodnfl is legislating defense out of the game.

It even seems he was already passed by when he was here, hence the great sense of relief when we won XL. 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2012 at 23:53 »

If Manning can still play they could get some nice draft picks.  But it's a gamble either way.  As for the money thing, he sure whores himself out for commercials. 

Maybe that's why he doesn't care as much about the salary?

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: