Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 19, 2014 at 23:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 [28] 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WC Round - Pit @ Den, Sunday 1/8 @ 4:30 PM  (Read 10235 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #270 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 14:02 »

Alright.  Got it now.  Thanks.

Pretty bad job by the officials (again) blowing the whistle there.  That was clearly a lateral.  They should've let the action continue.  One in Pittsburgh's cap, I 'spose.

Didn't something similar happen to Pittsburgh against the Chargers a few years ago late in a game where Pittsburgh was on defense?  Seem to have some vague memories of a Polamalu fumble recovery for a TD that wasn't because it was erroneously blown dead; think it was one of those "letter of apology" games.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #271 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 14:54 »

Didn't something similar happen to Pittsburgh against the Chargers a few years ago late in a game where Pittsburgh was on defense?  Seem to have some vague memories of a Polamalu fumble recovery for a TD that wasn't because it was erroneously blown dead; think it was one of those "letter of apology" games.

That would be the 11-9 game versus the Chargers.  Blocked punt, no?  Or was it a strip sack?  Cost me a valuable cover.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #272 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 10:54 »

That would be the 11-9 game versus the Chargers.  Blocked punt, no?  Or was it a strip sack?  Cost me a valuable cover.

Yep, fumble recovery of an errant lateral that was called an illegal forward pass.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #273 on: Jan 12, 2012 at 15:02 »

Finally sacked up and read through the entire thread.  Painful to see the ebb and flow of emotion while also knowing the actual outcome.  I haven't rewatched the game, tho.  TBH, I'm not sure I've got the stomach for it.  Last night, I actually hovered over it on the DVR and almost deleted, but at the last second, I backed off.

I'm not sure what can be said that hasn't already been mentioned.  I was extremely angry (duh) when Demarius caught that one in OT and took it to the house.  Soon as Taylor couldn't bring him down, I uttered, "it's over."  Done.  Just like that.  OK.  So, next logical question?  Who's fault is it that I'm sitting here and watching all these Bronco fans go nuts?  Who's fault is it that I have to witness another Tebowing display at the expense of my favorite team?  Who's to blame??

That's the problem.  I'm not sure you can throw it all at any one individual's feet.  Ben played like shit in the first half; any WR not named Brown was pretty much invisible; the offensive line played well on run plays, but average in pass pro; Taylor flailing after each Bronco WR brought back visions of Duhwayne Washington or Charred Scott; and zero pressure (OK, maybe one or two QB pressures) on Tebow most of the afternoon by the front 7.  On top of all that, you've got the boatload of injuries.  They were beat up going in and when it was over, they were flat out decimated.  The only thing that appeared to improve as the game wore on was Ben's ankle.

And, then you've got the coaching decisions.  At this point, I'm not going to even get into Arians because I'm just tired of beating that drum.  Steelers could've had 200+ on the ground against them if he had a bigger brain than a praying mantis.  Basically, same shit, different game, same inept and inconsistent result.  I'm beginning to think that Pittsburgh brought in somebody else to gameplan and call the Patriot game because other than that Sunday, he goes with the same fucking crap every game. 

Defensively, it was abundantly clear that their #1 mission was to stop the Bronco's running attack.  Make Tim-Tim-Tim-Timmay! beat them through the air.  Well, guess what, he didn't do it often, but he did it when it mattered most.  The sad part is that they probably didn't have to commit as much to stopping the run as they did to get the same result; at least, before guys like Keisel and Hampton went down.  And, if you're going to do that, make sure to put some pressure on the QB because yes, even Tim Fucking Tebow can hit an open receiver (occasionally) if given enough time.  What surprised me at the time though, was the apparent lack of adjustments.  The man coverage, single safety deep seemed to be hurting (especially against max protect packages) more than working so, why not switch it up?  Then again, after thinking about it, they may have done that after the first half because I don't really remember Denver having anywhere near the success in the second half than they did in the first.  Although, was that really a result of what Pittsburgh was doing or was it because of what the scoreboard said?  It definitely doesn't explain why Pittsburgh had 10 guys within 10 yards of the LOS on Denver's opening possession in OT, that's for sure.

Personally, I think Tomlin really screwed the pooch down the stretch this season.  As mentioned, I think letting #7 start against SF was one of his worst decisions as the HC of this team and he compounded it by letting him play against Cleveland in the season finale.  They needed a healthy Roethlisberger for the post-season, rusty or not.  It's tough to say for sure, but that might've cost Pittsburgh a real chance at going deep.  At the very least, I can safely say that it didn't help their case at all.

This one hurts, really hurts.  I suppose losing games that "you're supposed to win" tend to have that effect.

Painful. 

Lotta questions this offseason.  Hope Tomlin and Co. can find some answers.  They get a mulligan (well, except BA) on this one, but better make this the exception and not the rule.

kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #274 on: Jan 12, 2012 at 22:15 »

Personally, I think Tomlin really screwed the pooch down the stretch this season.  As mentioned, I think letting #7 start against SF was one of his worst decisions as the HC of this team and he compounded it by letting him play against Cleveland in the season finale. 

Such a Bill Stewart move. :stirpot:

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #275 on: Jan 13, 2012 at 08:49 »

I'm watching the telecast of the game for the 1st time.  I'm at the end of the 1st qtr and can tell you there is no way Pittsburgh loses this game.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #276 on: Jan 13, 2012 at 10:27 »

I'm at the end of the 1st qtr and can tell you there is no way Pittsburgh loses this game.

Keep the hope alive!!   tt02

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #277 on: Jan 13, 2012 at 13:46 »

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #278 on: Jan 15, 2012 at 13:02 »

I'm watching the telecast of the game for the 1st time.  I'm at the end of the 1st qtr and can tell you there is no way Pittsburgh loses this game.

Funny, when I was watching in the first quarter and we were up ( I think ) 6 to zero: I almost piped into the thread about how boring a game it was since I had no concerns about us losing, the defense was playing so good.  I was too lazy to go grab my phone and tap into the thread, though.

Then the second quarter, and I got the feeling that just THINKING that had jinxed us.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #279 on: Jan 15, 2012 at 19:19 »

so it's your fault huh?  Good Job!!!!!!!

Even knowing the outcome, the flow of the game never felt like the Steelers were going to lose, even when down by 14.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Pages: 1 ... 27 [28] 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: