Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 30, 2014 at 20:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tomlin presser after the game  (Read 1723 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Jan 09, 2012 at 08:03 »

Will never know, I refused to watch.  I assume he had lots of phrases which included things like "left it all on the field" and "these men" and "football team" and "hold our heads high" and blah blah blah.  I'm tired of it.

Actually missed the last play which, I wrongly thought, was simply the first play of OT.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2012 at 11:32 »

I posted this elsewhere, but thought it was apropos here:

Mike Tomlin makes the same mistakes and has the same arrogant (disguised as matter-of-fact) attitude as one of his mentors - Bill Stewart. For those unfamiliar with Bill Stewart, he's the guy who took over as WVU's head coach following Rich Rodriguez's departure. Tomlin coached for him at VMI back in the day.

Similarities:

Their teams play with no intensity
Their teams were/are never prepared
Neither could/can manage the clock
Neither had/have an ounce of situational awareness
Both had/have TERRIBLE OCs
Both hired their terrible OCs
Both refused/refuse to fire their terrible OCs (Stewart did so only when forced to)
Their teams have no identity
Their teams don't score
Both would never admit mistakes, and when the mistake was obvious, both would say they would do it the same way if the same situation presented itself again
Both were/are "players coaches" (which, IMO, produces uninspired football)

These are just some of the clear-cut similarities I see between the two. And Bill Stewart is not a guy to whom NFL head coaches should aspire.

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2012 at 12:52 »

That inspires feelings of melancholia and resignation.  Sigh.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 09:21 »

That inspires feelings of melancholia and resignation.  Sigh.

It does neither.  Mike Tomlin has won one super bowl and been back to a second.  Last I checked his teams have an outstanding track record of making the playoffs and succeeding when there.  Yeah, we lost this year, with the fucking lame and halt at quarterback, o-line, defensive line, and safety.

Bill Stewart has done nothing.  Silly comparison.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Joetorious

« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 13:55 »

That inspires feelings of melancholia and resignation.  Sigh.

It does neither.  Mike Tomlin has won one super bowl and been back to a second.  Last I checked his teams have an outstanding track record of making the playoffs and succeeding when there.  Yeah, we lost this year, with the fucking lame and halt at quarterback, o-line, defensive line, and safety.

Bill Stewart has done nothing.  Silly comparison.

How's it silly? It's spot fucking on. If you can't see that, you're simply being a homer.

Bill Stewart won a Fiesta Bowl by routing  obliterating highly touted Oklahoma...with Rich Rodriguez's players and coaches. Tomlin's SB came in much the same way.

Re: the injuries (particularly to Ben):

• might Ben not be as oft-injured if Tomlin said "Look motherfucker. I see you making big plays from time to time by holding onto the ball, but I also see you taking us out of FG position and/or getting injured way more often than you make big plays. Ben - look out he easily we handled the Pats this year by you making three-steps and getting rid of the ball quickly. The possibilities are endless and your career would be lengthened if we did that regularly.

• might Ben have been in better shape if Tomlin said to the egotistical, Tina Turneresque (We Don't Need Another Hero) Roethlisberger prior to the SF game, "I know you want to play on your hobbled-ass foot, but you simply can't walk, let alone be chased by 300-pounders with killer speed. I also know you're not necessarily a team-first type of guy and that you sometimes stupidly try to play the hero role too much. I'm the coach, and the decision is mine - not yours. You are sitting."

Yet again - and this happens literally 100 percent of the time - a Tomlin loyalist cannot point to a single characteristic that makes him such a great coach. Not one.

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 14:32 »

How's it silly? It's spot fucking on. If you can't see that, you're simply being a homer.

Right.  And Tyler Palko is comparable to Joe Flacco... just look at what Palko did in college compared to what Flacco did in the pros!  Here's a link illustrating the inane basis of your comparison; and here's one that nicely captures your logic.

Yet again - and this happens literally 100 percent of the time - a Tomlin loyalist cannot point to a single characteristic that makes him such a great coach. Not one.

He's been here five years.  He's missed the playoffs once.   Is that a characteristic?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Joetorious

« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 16:13 »

The players Tomlin has are what got him to the two SBs. They play sandlot football to survive at a time when prolific offenses have order, are methodical and are well-designed and -executed.

Tomlin coached under Stewart and there are many similarities - uncanny, really - between their style and product. That's not an opinion - it' s a fact. I'm not saying pro and college football are the same thing. Just saying that neither are good HCs at their respective level, and their styles are way too similar.

I'd be curious to know if Ice750 and some of the other WVU fans on here (twistedlemon?) see the parallels.

Some other similarities:

Stewart hired his OC from the offensive juggernaut, Wake Forest; Tomlin hired his from the NFL equivalent of WF, Cleveland.

Stewart allowed an unproven OC to completely (and unnecessarily) overhaul the offense (going from run-heavy to...no identity). The only problem is that virtually the same on-field offensive personnel had been averaging about 42 PPG. With the changes, they cut that point production in half.

I know the Steelers weren't scoring 42 PPG, but they played smashmouth football that helped control the clock, wear down opposing teams' Ds and give the Steelers D breathers. Now we pass a lot, but not always well; we seldom run; our D is always on the field; we don't score. At the end of the day, allowing all of this to continue - especially the lack of point production - falls at the feet of Tomlin.

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 17:10 »

Stop with the asinine "winning with Cowher's players" argument before I remind you that Cowher won exactly as many super bowls in 15 years with "his" players as Tomlin has in five.  It's not like we're talking about Seifert inheriting the 80's Niners here. 

Which reminds me to ask, what is your point exactly? That Tomlin and Stewart are equal as coaches? Fatuous comparison.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Joetorious

« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 19:21 »

Dude - whether you agree with it or not, how can you fail to see my point? My point is that Tomlin fucking blows. I'm suggesting that - consciously or not - he inherited the same approach to coaching as one of the worst HCs I've ever seen roam a sideline. Sharing so many shitty qualities with one of his former bosses may be the craziest coincidence of all time, but I doubt it.

And yes, the players that won Tomlin's SB for him were largely Cowher's players. Hell, there's still a great deal of players on the current roster that played for Cowher. How is pointing out facts asinine?

Your camp is way too emotional about supporting Tomlin. Go back to that bulleted list - is there anything you can legitimately dispute? Forget I mentioned Bill Stewart. Are any of those things untrue?

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 20:20 »

Dude - whether you agree with it or not, how can you fail to see my point? My point is that Tomlin fucking blows.

You should have just said so then instead of trying to pick your nose by reaching through your legs first.

I'm suggesting that - consciously or not - he inherited the same approach to coaching as one of the worst HCs I've ever seen roam a sideline.

You mean Brad Childress?  

Sharing so many shitty qualities with one of his former bosses may be the craziest coincidence of all time, but I doubt it.

Did you know that Lincoln had a secretary named Kennedy, and Kennedy had a secretary named Lincoln?  

Your camp is way too emotional about supporting Tomlin.

Er, yeah.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: