Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 31, 2014 at 21:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ward to Retire  (Read 2647 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Jan 10, 2012 at 09:49 »

CNNSI quotes CBS who is quoting sources who say #86 will call it quits.

Sources have told CBS Sports that the belief among Pittsburgh Steelers teammates is that wide receiver Hines Ward is expected to announce his retirement soon.

Ward, 35, finished the season with 46 receptions for 381 yards and two touchdowns in 15 games for the Pittsburgh Steelers. 2011 marked the first time that the Pro Bowl receiver lost his spot as an everyday starter for the squad.

If Ward’s career is over, he finishes it with 1000 career receptions for 12083 yards and 85 touchdowns. Over the course of 15 seasons, all with Pittsburgh, Ward was named to four Pro Bowls, and earned Super Bowl MVP honors in 2005. His best season came in 2002 when he hauled in 112 receptions for 1329 yards and 12 touchdowns.

The Steelers’ season came to a close last night when they lost in overtime to the Denver Broncos in the opening round of the NFL playoffs.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 09:51 »

That was a crappy last game to take into retirement.  But what a career.  In my mind he's a HOFer but I am admittedly not objective.  Those numbers will not be enough for the run-of-the-mill HOF voter.  Maybe the two rings and the SB MVP will put him over the top.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 10:04 »

Too bad reception #1000 couldn't have been for TD #86.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 10:05 »

That was a crappy last game to take into retirement.  But what a career.  In my mind he's a HOFer but I am admittedly not objective.  Those numbers will not be enough for the run-of-the-mill HOF voter.  Maybe the two rings and the SB MVP will put him over the top.

I don't know man...1000 catches puts him 8th all time. 12000 yards is 18th. 85 TDs is 13th. Not to mention being the best blocking WR maybe to have ever lived. Guy that epitomized his city. Always played with a smile. Plus 2 rings, 1 MVP, and 4 pro-bowls. IMO he's definitely in.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/

Check some of the HOF recievers that are below him in those categories. Plus Ward really played most of his career during a time when the Steelers were primarily a running team with Bettis.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 10:15 »

I hear ya, but he's only gonna slide down the list as time passes.  (But I didn't realize his numbers were that good.)  Maybe they'll hold up - and maybe he'll get special consideration for playing several years with Kordell as his QB.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 10:21 »

The only thing that worries me is that Art Monk is not in yet.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 10:42 »

I didn't think he was either but the link says he was inducted in '08.

The main fear is that if he doesn't get in quick (Chris Carter, Tim Brown and Bettis still aren't) then he may suffer due to the gross inflation of #s at his position.  Although, the NFL's increased passing yardage may be spread among more targets and his #s will stand the test of time and I'm just worrying too much.
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2012 at 10:48 by jonzr » Logged

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 10:47 »

Goddamned screwy formatting...

Too bad reception #1000 couldn't have been for TD #86.

Or, at least for positive yardage.

That was a crappy last game to take into retirement.  But what a career.  In my mind he's a HOFer but I am admittedly not objective.  Those numbers will not be enough for the run-of-the-mill HOF voter.  Maybe the two rings and the SB MVP will put him over the top.

I don't know man...1000 catches puts him 8th all time. 12000 yards is 18th. 85 TDs is 13th. Not to mention being the best blocking WR maybe to have ever lived. Guy that epitomized his city. Always played with a smile. Plus 2 rings, 1 MVP, and 4 pro-bowls. IMO he's definitely in.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/

Check some of the HOF recievers that are below him in those categories. Plus Ward really played most of his career during a time when the Steelers were primarily a running team with Bettis.

I hear ya, but he's only gonna slide down the list as time passes.  (But I didn't realize his numbers were that good.)  Maybe they'll hold up - and maybe he'll get special consideration for playing several years with Kordell as his QB.

#86 easily goes down as one of my favorite Steelers of all time so my objectivity here is a little compromised.  As things stand now, I think he's deserving, but give it another 5 to 7 years and he'll look like a fringe HOFer, at best.

Um...
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2012 at 10:58 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 10:49 »

#86 easily goes down as one of my favorite Steelers of all time so my objectivity here is a little compromised.  As things stand now, I think he's deserving, but give it another 5 to 7 years and he'll look like a fringe HOFer, at best.

This.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 11:59 »

#86 easily goes down as one of my favorite Steelers of all time so my objectivity here is a little compromised.  As things stand now, I think he's deserving, but give it another 5 to 7 years and he'll look like a fringe HOFer, at best.

This.

Yes and no...you have to judge WRs against the others of their generation. Who would be in over him? I put them in the order that I would rank them.

Hines Ward's Generation IMO

• Marvin Harrison (1102 receptions, 14,580 yards, 128 TDs, 13 years, Colts, +only one team -Benefited from Manning)
  • TO (1078 receptions, 15,934 yards, 153 TDs, 15 years, 5 different teams, -cancer -lots of moving around)?
  • Randy Moss (954 receptions, 14,858 yards, 153 TDs, 13 years, 4 different teams, -cancer -lots of moving around)?
  • Hines Ward (1000 receptions, 12,083 yards, 85 TDs, 14 years, Steelers, +only one team +Best Blocker ever)
  • Reggie Wayne (862 receptions, 11,708 yards, 73 TDs, 11 year career, Colts, +only one team -relatively long career)?
  • Torry Holt (920 receptions, 13,382 yards, 74 TDs, 11 year career, 2 different teams, -relatively short career)?
  • Isaac Bruce (1024 receptions, 15,208 yards, 91 TDs, 16 year career, 2 different teams, -relatively long career)?
  • Joey Galloway (701 receptions, 10,950 yards, 77 TDs, 16 year career, 5 different teams, -relatively long career -lots of moving around)?
  • Derrick Mason (943 receptions, 12,061 yards, 66 TDs, 15 year career, 4 different teams, -lots of moving around)?

After that, you start getting into the Donald Drivers, Chad Ochocincos, Keyshawn Johnsons, Rod Smiths, Muhsin Muhammads of the league and Ward's numbers blow all of them away.

I think down to Wayne have a great chance, and I may think about putting Holt OR Bruce in, but noone else on the list really screams HOFer to me.

Before Hines Ward's Generation IMO

IMO, Tim Brown, Art Monk, and Chris Carter are in the generation before Ward and should be compared with WRs of their own era and whether they are HOFers or not really shouldn't affect Ward at all.

After Hines Ward's Generation IMO

The guys who could pass him in the next 5-7 years (Fitz, Megatron, Jennings, Colston) are in the next generation. Those are the guys who are really benefiting from the new pass happy league.

Also, just in the interest of completeness, guys like Boldin and A. Johnson are kind of in-between generations. I might compare them to the guys above, but both still have work to do to catch up to Ward's numbers anyway. I give Johnson a good chance with Shaub and their great running game, but I do not think that Boldin will catch up with Flacco at QB. Johnson's also a year younger than Boldin.
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2012 at 12:01 by kluisi61 » Logged

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Pages: [1] 2 ... 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: