Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 07:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ward to Retire  (Read 2983 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 13:05 »

Nice post, K-man.  While it reinforces my belief that he's a HOFer, I think it also supports what I said about him being a fringe guy in 5-7.  I also see what you're saying about comparing him with WRs of his generation and I guess that's how it's generally viewed.  Still, it doesn't help his case when you've got a handful of guys within a few thousand yards of his career numbers and they haven't even hit 30 yet.  I think the voters consider that type of stuff; the benchmarks should keep rising, if you will.

Even if you want to just compare him to WRs from his generation, it's not exactly a limited group.  You've got 8 on your list.  I'd probably add Tim Brown to it considering he played for about 5 or 6 years after Ward came into the league; Boldin started his career 3 or 4 years after Ward did so I think I'd include him as well; Jimmy Smith should probably get tossed in there too as should Steve Smith when his career is finished.

In the end, focusing on WRs of his generation, that's at least a dozen other WRs that will get legit HOF consideration.  He's probably in the middle to upper third of that group so he'll likely get in after a couple shots, but when that next wave hits, it just won't look as impressive.  Hope they've got a lot of room in that WR wing in Canton.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 13:21 »

I wanted take a moment to thank all of Steeler Nation for the love and support. I'm sorry for the disappointing loss. I'm still depressed about it. We had a great year finishing 12-4 but our ultimate goal was to win the Super Bowl and we fell short. Hats off to Denver. I'm also getting lots of questions about retirement so let me set the record straight: I have no plans on retiring right now. I want to win another Superbowl. I don't know where the media is getting this info from but rest assured that when I decide to retire, you'll hear it from ME first. - HINES

http://www.facebook.com/officialhinesward

Yes, I just quoted Hines Ward's Facebook wall (posted 21 hours ago).  A friend alerted me to it.  It is what it is.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 14:08 »

SINGE HINAS WART!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 14:13 »

I'm also getting lots of questions about retirement so let me set the record straight: I have no plans on retiring right now. I want to win another Superbowl.  - HINES

Now let's just hope that's in a Steelers uni.

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 16:52 »

None of those guys except Monk have more than one ring.  No SB MVPs that I know of.

Swann and Stallworth comparison:

Combined catches:  873 - Ward 1000
Combined yards - 14185 - Ward 12083
TDs 114 - Ward 85.

SB MVPs, 1 combined - Ward 1

SB rings obviously big difference.

I think Ward will get in.  Compares well enough to current players.  May take 10 years though. 
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 11:00 »

On the Steelers: Ward would be OK with pay cut
Wednesday, January 11, 2012
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
 Chris Schneider/Associated PressHines Ward runs off the field in Denver after Sunday's stunning loss. Some believe it will be Ward's last game in a Steelers uniform. But maybe not.Hines Ward wants to make a few things perfectly clear: He wants to play for the Steelers in 2012, but, if they do not want him, he still wants to play next season

He just does not want to think about the second part of the equation at the moment.

"It would be weird, not how I want it to happen," Ward said of playing for another team next season. "But I do want to play. I still think I can play. I'm not even thinking like that -- what if. If that scenario happens, I'll be devastated, but I do want to play football."

He understands he would have to take a pay cut from his $4 million salary next season. He has two seasons left on his contract and is willing to do that. Such a decision must be made, however, by March 1 because Ward said a clause in his contract states that they must guarantee his job by then or release him.

"I'd probably have to restructure my contract," Ward said of the pay cut. "That's fine with me. I recognize that. I'm telling you I want to be here, I'm telling you I'm willing to do that. And I understand the ramifications -- we have the cap number and stuff, but I want to be here."

As for not starting, Ward noted that happened this season.

"Obviously, I was a starter, and then it went the way it did. That's fine, I don't have a problem with not starting. But I want to play, I want to try to win another Super Bowl. I want to do it for this organization. I want to help this team out. I still think I can help this team, on the field, off the field with the younger guys, still be there for the team. I'm willing to do all that."

No one has talked to him yet about his future, Ward said. He will have minor surgery on his right ankle to shave down bone spurs. He also is looking forward to a rest after a year in which he played football into the Super Bowl in February, had knee surgery, won "Dancing With the Stars," had surgery on his thumb and rejoined his teammates for the 2011 season after the lockout ended.

If the Steelers do not want him back next season, Ward hopes fans understand if he signs elsewhere.

"I want to be here. I mean, if they decide they don't want me here, it's not my choice. I wouldn't see why Steelers fans would be angry at me, if I still think I can play. I want to play here. I don't want to put on another uniform, but, at the end of the day, it's not my choice. There's nothing I can do about it."

Ward will turn 36 March 8 and noted "They always say play as long as you can.

"The biggest thing, like Tony Gonzalez, these guys are older than me. And I don't hear if they're retiring or not. Donald Driver, a year older than me, still playing good football...

"I'm just looking year to year, but I do want to play next year. If they decide to part ways, I'll be devastated, but life's not over. I'm still young.

"My thing is, I want to be a Steeler, I'm here, I'm willing to restructure, do whatever. I don't want to be seen in another uniform but, if they decide to part ways, or whatever, I don't know, I'm not even thinking like that. I couldn't even fathom myself [in another uniform], but I still want to play football."

Emmanuel Sanders, one of those young Steelers receivers who helped push Ward down the depth chart, knows where the team's future lies at the position. He also believes there is room for Ward.

"If he comes back, we are going to welcome him with open arms," said Sanders, who completed his second season by leading the Steelers in receiving in the playoff loss Sunday in Denver. "Hines has helped the receiving corps a lot. He definitely taught me, Antonio [Brown] and Mike [Wallace] what it takes to be a pro in this league. So, he is a great addition to this receiving corps.

"We know the direction in which we are going with the receiving corps. But, again, Hines is still a great addition. Just the knowledge he brings to the room, you can't pay for that, you can't coach that. He just brings that well-being of how to be a pro into the room."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12011/1202701-66-0.stm#ixzz1jAadrJxY

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 11:09 »

"Obviously, I was a starter, and then it went the way it did. That's fine, I don't have a problem with not starting. But I want to play, I want to try to win another Super Bowl. I want to do it for this organization. I want to help this team out. I still think I can help this team, on the field, off the field with the younger guys, still be there for the team. I'm willing to do all that."

"I want to be here. I mean, if they decide they don't want me here, it's not my choice. I wouldn't see why Steelers fans would be angry at me, if I still think I can play. I want to play here. I don't want to put on another uniform, but, at the end of the day, it's not my choice. There's nothing I can do about it."

"I'm just looking year to year, but I do want to play next year. If they decide to part ways, I'll be devastated, but life's not over. I'm still young.

"My thing is, I want to be a Steeler, I'm here, I'm willing to restructure, do whatever. I don't want to be seen in another uniform but, if they decide to part ways, or whatever, I don't know, I'm not even thinking like that. I couldn't even fathom myself [in another uniform], but I still want to play football."

Pretty clear how he feels.  Sounds like he's willing to take a vet minimum~ish offer to me.  Under the new CBA, I think for a player with his level of tenure, base minimum is somewhere around a million.  Restructure and pay the man.

Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 13:30 »

He has earned the right to retire a Steeler....at the vet minimum.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 15:16 »

I think he's one of the few people who would be able to get away with going to play for another team and not get the backlash that other players would get from Pittsburgh fans. I think most fans would agree that Ward IS the Steelers no matter what uniform he's currently wearing. The'd still want to see Harrison lay him out across the middle if we were playing against his new team, but unlike other players, they'd hope that he gets up right after the hit.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 18:08 »

I think he's one of the few people who would be able to get away with going to play for another team and not get the backlash that other players would get from Pittsburgh fans. I think most fans would agree that Ward IS the Steelers no matter what uniform he's currently wearing. The'd still want to see Harrison lay him out across the middle if we were playing against his new team, but unlike other players, they'd hope that he gets up right after the hit.

Maybe, but...imagine him wearing a purple (96%) and black #86.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: