Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 31, 2014 at 03:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elway on Decker  (Read 392 times)
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« on: Jan 10, 2012 at 11:17 »

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/10/elway-links-harrisons-fines-to-deckers-mcl-sprain/

After racking up fines and a suspension for repeated hits to opponents’ heads, Steelers linebacker James Harrison did exactly what the league office has been urging him to do on Sunday: He lowered his target when making a hit.

The result was a hard shot to Broncos receiver Eric Decker’s knee, resulting in an MCL sprain that will likely keep him out of Saturday’s playoff game at New England. And Broncos V.P. of Football Operations John Elway links the injury to Decker’s knee with the deductions from Harrison’s paychecks.

“The target is now lower,” Elway said on 102.3 FM in Denver on Monday, via USA Today. “Harrison yesterday, because of the fact that he’s been fined so often, really had no other option. . . . I don’t think he intended to hurt Eric. But obviously because of the situations he’s been in, he had to go low and stay away from the head. And it ended up costing an MCL sprain for Eric.”

Elway’s comments point to one of the problems a lot of players have had with the NFL’s emphasis on decreasing helmet-to-helmet hits: If you’re not hitting your opponent high, you have to hit him low. And low hits often put players out of commission a long longer than high hits. Fortunately for Decker, what looked like an ugly knee injury turned out to be a relatively minor one.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 16:02 »

Not that I know the first thing about Elway but that's surprising.  Kinda figured he'd fall on the "hang 92" side of things.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 20:54 »

Doesn't surprise me too much.  He's an old school guy, he gets what the players are dealing with.
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 14:00 »

Not that I know the first thing about Elway but that's surprising.  Kinda figured he'd fall on the "hang 92" side of things.

He's more publicly supportive of Harrison and against the NFL on this than Tomlin...

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: