Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 16, 2014 at 17:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arians to retire?  (Read 1501 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2012 at 17:48 »

Now the p-g is in on the act.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12019/1204477-66.stm

Interesting paragraph:

Unlike some of the Steelers assistant coaches, Arians was not going to attend Senior Bowl workouts in Mobile, Ala., next week. But that is because quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is taking him and his wife to the Pro Bowl in Hawaii. Roethlisberger, named a backup to Tom Brady for the AFC team, also is taking his position coach, Randy Fichtner, and his wife to Hawaii.

They're either going to smooth the transition, or else have the world's creepiest key party.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2012 at 19:27 »

Interesting paragraph:

Unlike some of the Steelers assistant coaches, Arians was not going to attend Senior Bowl workouts in Mobile, Ala., next week. But that is because quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is taking him and his wife to the Pro Bowl in Hawaii. Roethlisberger, named a backup to Tom Brady for the AFC team, also is taking his position coach, Randy Fichtner, and his wife to Hawaii.

They're either going to smooth the transition, or else have the world's creepiest key party.

Dunno.  The world's creepiest key party would involve Flacco's fluffer stache and Beardy's trans hairdo.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2012 at 20:57 »

Interesting paragraph:

I didn't think much of it but now that you put it in italics you have point.  I mean about the transition.  And creepy key party aside, I doubt anyone lets Ben follow their wife to the restroom.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2012 at 11:11 »

Looks like we're gonna need some help on this one.  Make it happen.

The power of Tebowing...and chicks in their underwear.  Never underestimate their effectiveness.

Going...going...GONE!

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2012 at 12:25 »

please please please please please please let me get what I want.......just one time.....

- Morrissey

p.s.   he also sang "Everyday is Like Sunday" - thinking he might be a 'closet' football fan

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2012 at 11:47 »

Not surprisingly, Arians didn't really retire.

Looks like AR II just didn't want him back.

As much as I'm in favor of the move, I'm not sure how I feel about the boss sorta usurping MT's authority on coaching hires.  I've always viewed the responsibility of hiring coordinators and assistant coaches as falling on the HC.

Kinda strange.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2012 at 12:06 »

Strictly speaking, Tomlin's hiring power wasn't usurped; AR2 didn't extend his contract, so somewhat different.

I agree that MT should have free rein to hire the OC of his choice.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2012 at 14:19 »

Strictly speaking, Tomlin's hiring power wasn't usurped; AR2 didn't extend his contract, so somewhat different.

I agree that MT should have free rein to hire the OC of his choice.

I dunno, Findude. 

Based on what Tomlin said publicly several times since the Bronco fiasco, he wanted Hairyarms back, so...how does he have free reign to hire who he wants?

Don't get me wrong, I like the end result (obv).  I'm just not crazy about how it was handled.  And, based on what I've read in several articles about the Rooneys wanting a change in philosophy (I'm paraphrasing), I'm not sure it was done for the right reasons.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2012 at 15:08 »

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes.  Tomlin saying he wants BA back could be him being comfortable with "what works" (sic), or it could be that he was talking to AR2 and confiding that he doesn't think the offense is living to its potential and maybe it's time to make a change.  AR2 declines to renew the contract, so MT trades the appearance of total coaching sovereignty for not having to play Turk. 

IMO, if most casual fans can see that BA's offense has problems, MT and AR2 and KC have to see it.  Contract up, feel they can do better, let's all part as friends.  Would not surprise me if feelers went out to potential candidates not long after the fiasco in Denver.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2012 at 09:29 »

In one of the PG articles, Arians said he had been contacted by 5 or 6 teams.  LOL ya right, probably High School and D3 college teams like Cleveland.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: