Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 02, 2014 at 02:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A dream come true - Arians Retires  (Read 589 times)
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« on: Jan 20, 2012 at 10:53 »

Link to follow.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2012 at 11:11 »

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/20/steelers-offensive-coordinator-bruce-arians-retires/

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2012 at 12:26 »

dreams can come true

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
raynemaker
N00b

« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2012 at 16:59 »

As a longtime Steeler fan, I feel it is only fitting to express with my first post.....

They say that be careful what you wish for......in this case, I will take my chances.

Go Steelers! tt02
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2012 at 09:26 »

As a longtime Steeler fan, I feel it is only fitting to express with my first post.....

They say that be careful what you wish for......in this case, I will take my chances.

Go Steelers! tt02

Indeed.  And that was one long lurk, welcome!

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2012 at 22:19 »

ESPN article on Arians decision:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7489906/pittsburgh-steelers-chose-not-keep-bruce-arians-bucking-ben-roethlisberger-sources-say

This seems odd:  Not so much the "retirement," or the fact that Ben didn't like it, but this quote:

The sources said the move was made in order to shift the offense back toward its blue-collar identity of years past, in line with the desires of Steelers president Art Rooney II.

This would be a problem for me if I'm Tomlin.  As far as I know, Rooneys have never been that hands on with the on-field decisionmaking.  Maybe they have and kept it under wraps, but dunno.  If true, this is the right move for the wrong reason.  Today's NFL is more and more about the short passing game.  The plan for the next 5 years should be to continue putting the ball in Ben's hands, but dictate that he gets rid of it faster.  I don't think the 60-40 run/pass ratio is a positive direction.

LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2012 at 07:53 »

I agree.

I'm all for running more effectively when we do run, though.  Which will necessitate bringing in better Olineman. Need to get better at run blocking AND protect Ben better. He can help himself there as well -- maybe an offensive coordinator that doesn't put up with his refusal to go with the quick hit will be better.

Perhaps Art II got some Houston envy. Imagine if we had an offense as effective running the ball as Houston -- can you imagine what Ben would do with THAT offensive line and running game?

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: