Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 01, 2014 at 16:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looks like Haley  (Read 1314 times)
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« on: Feb 06, 2012 at 16:27 »

So it's looking like Todd Haley is the new OC..Nothing out of Pittsburgh yet, but as Brinker and Pain said in the other thread, word is leaking out that it is Haley.

I'm OK with it....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7548154/source-pittsburgh-steelers-hire-todd-haley-new-oc
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2012 at 16:48 »

Surprising. 

Bets on Fichtner leaving for some job in Indy now?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2012 at 17:02 »

um icon_cheers

See how it goes.

Overdue for some change.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2012 at 18:23 »

I will be ecstatic once confirmed. Steelers have to be the hands-down favorite to win it all next year. All that was needed was a decent OC, and we got a solid/borderline great one. Kudos to Tomlin for such a good, and some might say, unconventional, choice.

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2012 at 18:33 »

Surprising. 

Bets on Fichtner leaving for some job in Indy now?

He can have Jim Tressel's old job.

We shall see, we shall see.  Personally I was hoping for someone more "coordinator-y" and less "diva ex-head coach-y".

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2012 at 20:02 »

I likes it.  Haley is plenty coordinator-y for me.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2012 at 20:53 »

I'm fully expecting a fist fight between Ben and Haley.  And perhaps Haley and Wallace!

In some ways, I don't find that to be a bad thing.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2012 at 06:45 »

I'm fully expecting a fist fight between Ben and Haley.  And perhaps Haley and Wallace!

In some ways, I don't find that to be a bad thing.

Tsk, tsk, tsk.  A man of the cloth promoting fisticuffs.

tt02

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2012 at 08:31 »

I have been a Ben supporter until somewhat recently.  I'm tired of his whiny baby attitude.  I also can't stand aloof jerky coaches, like Arians, and hopefully Haley isn't that way, but some of that may be good for ben.

I don't see Haley as a big "running the ball" type of OC, which is what that CHEEPE AZS RONEIEYS want, so it should be interesting.  Seemed like the Cards had a pretty balanced attack with some good WR sets.  I think the solid 4 or 5 WR's in Pittsburgh are better than the duo he had there plus whoever else was behind them, and their helmets, on the depth charts.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2012 at 09:24 »

I have been a Ben supporter until somewhat recently.  I'm tired of his whiny baby attitude.  I also can't stand aloof jerky coaches, like Arians, and hopefully Haley isn't that way, but some of that may be good for ben.

I don't see Haley as a big "running the ball" type of OC, which is what that CHEEPE AZS RONEIEYS want, so it should be interesting.  Seemed like the Cards had a pretty balanced attack with some good WR sets.  I think the solid 4 or 5 WR's in Pittsburgh are better than the duo he had there plus whoever else was behind them, and their helmets, on the depth charts.

Agree with a lot of this and Preach's points. (I'm not sold that the Rooneys are dead-set on running the ball. I just think that they/ARII clearly saw that being pass-happy wasn't producing a sufficient amount of points, was making Ben more injury-prone and wasn't helping out the D in any way. The natural alternative to suggest is increase running aspect. I'm pretty sure if the Steelers were throwing the ball and scoring at will, they'd be A.O.K. with it.)

But on to your other points. Agree that a non-coddling approach to dealing with Ben is exactly what is needed. In contrast to you, I've actually grown to appreciate Ben more in the past year or so (my appreciation curve for Ben throughout his career would look something like the blue line in the graph below).

He's a drama queen, but he's also pretty damn tough. Talent-wise, he's phenomenal. But he hasn't had any tough love [insert joke about involuntary sex here] the past five years or so, and this has set him back developmentally, IMO. Haley not putting up with his shit will be very refreshing. And once Ben sees that Haley knows how to put up points, I think he'll lose some or all of his stubbornness.

Also refreshing will be the lack of aloofness Haley will display, and his overall ability to not only move the ball, but also SCORE POINTS.

I could be completely wrong, but I think the perception among some that Haley is, in general, abrasive, isn't quite right. Seems to me that he doesn't tolerate laziness or repeated fundamental failures, and isn't afraid to voice his discontent with even the highest-paid of players. I'm of the school of thought that a coach is a coach, and not necessarily a friend. So if what I said about Haley is accurate, then I'm completely cool with this approach.

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: