Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 26, 2014 at 21:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallace Gone?  (Read 8620 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Feb 24, 2012 at 14:01 »

When is the last time Ballachimp gave up a first round draft pick?

spygate?

Nice.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pain

« Reply #31 on: Feb 24, 2012 at 16:01 »

Ben's recent restructure saves roughly $8mill in cap room next season according to PFT.  Add that to the inevitable restructure/cuts of Ward, Hampton, Smith, Farrior and Foote and things are starting to look up.

Can we read into this that Wallace will be getting the Franchise Tag, and Ben gets to keep his WR crew intact? Or are we still too far off for the Franchise Tag being a realistic option?
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Feb 24, 2012 at 17:27 »

Ben's recent restructure saves roughly $8mill in cap room next season according to PFT.  Add that to the inevitable restructure/cuts of Ward, Hampton, Smith, Farrior and Foote and things are starting to look up.

Can we read into this that Wallace will be getting the Franchise Tag, and Ben gets to keep his WR crew intact? Or are we still too far off for the Franchise Tag being a realistic option?

Franchise tag is the nuclear option only.

They can give him a deal (bigger than my predicted one) with a lower annual hit, pending the painful business with the elder Steelers listed above.  Problem with the F-tag is 1) it's a Band-Aid, one year only, and 2) it's horrendously pricey for WRs.  This FO hates using the tag, rightly.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pain

« Reply #33 on: Feb 25, 2012 at 00:56 »

Franchise tag is the nuclear option only.

They can give him a deal (bigger than my predicted one) with a lower annual hit, pending the painful business with the elder Steelers listed above.  Problem with the F-tag is 1) it's a Band-Aid, one year only, and 2) it's horrendously pricey for WRs.  This FO hates using the tag, rightly.

I trust your judgment here. I just hope they figure out how to keep him.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Feb 25, 2012 at 07:53 »

Ben's recent restructure saves roughly $8mill in cap room next season according to PFT.  Add that to the inevitable restructure/cuts of Ward, Hampton, Smith, Farrior and Foote and things are starting to look up.

Kemo has to be a cut as well, right?  Roughly $2.3M savings?Huh?
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2012 at 19:42 by SCacalaki » Logged

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Feb 27, 2012 at 14:09 »

Franchise tag shouldn't even be a consideration, IMO.  I like Wallace, but I don't think he's worth it.  If I'm picking between him or AB, I'd rather they give AB the big deal.

Just go with the highest RFA tag that nets them a R1 in return and hope that a team in the mid to late teens (Chargers?  Bears?) makes the leap.  I wouldn't even mind snagging another one in the last quarter of the draft; it would just sting a little to see him in a Pastry or Ratbird uni.  Worst case is they end up with another R1 pick...could be worse.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Mar 05, 2012 at 10:39 »

For the sake of comparison, Stevie "God made me drop it" Johnson just got 5/$36M, not sure how much guaranteed.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Mar 05, 2012 at 11:24 »

For the sake of comparison, Stevie "God made me drop it" Johnson just got 5/$36M, not sure how much guaranteed.

Not hatin' on Wally, but he ain't worth an average of 7+ milly per year.  Sorry.  For the record, neither is Stevie Johnson.  I guess Buffalo can afford it though.  I don't know which deal is worse...Fitzpatrick's or and Johnson's.  Buffalo overpaying to keep their guys, I 'spose.

No doubt the offense would take a blow losing a vertical threat like Wallace, but that's too much cheese to throw at a one trick pony.

Would anyone be happy with pick #1.26 in return?

I'd prefer a slightly higher selection, but I could live with it.
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2012 at 13:07 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #38 on: Mar 05, 2012 at 12:32 »

Not hatin' on Wally, but he ain't worth an average of 7+ milly per year.  Sorry.  For the record, neither is Stevie Johnson.  I guess Buffalo can afford it though.  I don't know which deal is worse...Fitzpatrick's or and Johnson's.  Buffalo overpaying to keep their guys, I 'spose.

No doubt the offense would take a blow losing a vertical threat like Wallace, but that's too much cheese to throw at a one trick pony.

Would anyone be happy with pick #1.26 in return?

I'd prefer a slightly higher selection, but I could live with it.

I could live with that-----not going to the PATS or the any team in the AFCN.  
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2012 at 13:00 by Brinker » Logged

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Mar 05, 2012 at 12:34 »

Yeah, at least nowadays the rooks picked in the 1st round are more reasonably compensated than in previous years. Doesn't kill you to make a mistake like before.  

To my mind, that actually means that the first round picks are worth more than before.  Therefore, I'm hoping teams are less likely to send Wallace an offer, but at the same time, we could get great value for the pick by using it or trading down.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: