Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 18, 2014 at 05:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallace Gone?  (Read 8696 times)
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2012 at 18:12 »

Not sure how, call it a gutter.

Finny's been in the gutter for decades.  Damn Nyquiltinis.

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2012 at 18:40 »

Not sure how, call it a gutter.

Finny's been in the gutter for decades.  Damn Nyquiltinis.

Haven't you been reading the weight loss thread?  He's climbed out of the gutter and onto the sidewalk.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2012 at 11:46 »

As much as I would hate to see Wallace go (especially to NE or Balt) if it comes down to choosing between Wallace and Brown, I think the FO should work on keeping Brown. We'll be in the same boat with AB this time next year as well. He is way more versatile than Wallace and he can still stretch the field (thought admittedly not as well as Wallace).  Over the past 6-8 games this past season, teams were pretty easily able to take the deep ball away from Wallace but Brown put up consistently great numbers.  Add to the fact that Ben throws a shitty deep ball these days (not to mention protection isn't there for 60 yard bombs) and it seems like a no-brainer.

Obviously we have to hope they can move some money around with some of these veterans to get them both signed long-term, but that seems kind of iffy at this point. 

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2012 at 14:19 »

As much as I would hate to see Wallace go (especially to NE or Balt) if it comes down to choosing between Wallace and Brown, I think the FO should work on keeping Brown. We'll be in the same boat with AB this time next year as well. He is way more versatile than Wallace and he can still stretch the field (thought admittedly not as well as Wallace).  Over the past 6-8 games this past season, teams were pretty easily able to take the deep ball away from Wallace but Brown put up consistently great numbers.  Add to the fact that Ben throws a shitty deep ball these days (not to mention protection isn't there for 60 yard bombs) and it seems like a no-brainer.

Obviously we have to hope they can move some money around with some of these veterans to get them both signed long-term, but that seems kind of iffy at this point. 

I tend to agree and am kind of thinking that they shouldn't break the bank to keep Wallace. Also, if someone offers a Rd 1 for him, I think we should listen. Wallace is a great deep threat, but he's kind of been a one trick pony. When the deep ball was taken away or wasn't working for whatever reason, Wallace was completely shut down. I think before he is paid like an elite WR, he needs to show that he can do ALL of the things that an elite WR can do and not just one of them exceptionally well. Brown seems to be much more complete as a WR at this point in their respective careers (and he's younger).

It is possible that the openings that Brown exploited all season were only there because of Wallace's ability to stretch out the defenses though. Tough to tell.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2012 at 14:25 »

I dunno.  I don't expect Wally to be a complete WR: if he can throw a few additional routes in that's great (and he has shown some ability on screens and underneath routes), but we can all agree that there are few speed WRs in the league with his wheels, and I would argue NONE that are as fast AND as productive.  Is the R1 pick we get going to translate into an equitable replacement?  I just don't see that. 

NE has plenty of cap space and would like to make a move.  With the FO methodically restructuring vets (Colon, most recently), I still would not be surprised if we get a deal done before it's too late.  Don't think it's going to be a mega-deal, just one of our usual warm and happy medium sized deals.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2012 at 15:35 »

I think it's important to realize and make the correlation between Wally's downward production and AB's upward swing. Wallace was tearing teams up for the 1st half of the season, and teams doubled and swung the coverage to his side. This left AB in mostly man, or soft zone coverage, as teams tried to take Wallace out of the game. AB is good enough to beat man coverage, and take advantage of not being "game planned" for.

Not saying AB isn't a rising star, because he clearly is (better hands than Wallace), but he benefited from teams paying a lot of attention to Wally. Wallace can rip the top of the coverage and draw the double, and that shouldn't be overlooked. He also ran more short crossing routes as teams doubled him, and getting him in a LB zone scheme, or man will be good for him.

I think they should do what they can to keep him. He is explosive, still getting better, and him, AB, and Sanders make a great WR corps. If they could find a way to bring Hines back and keep Jericho, I would be very happy with those 5 WR's. Plus heat..... I think Haley would find a way to score more points with those options.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2012 at 13:45 »

Two stats:

Mike Wallace is the YPC leader in the NFL among all active players (18.7).

He's 23rd all-time in YPC, but you have to go back 15 years to find anyone whose average beats him (Flipper Anderson, 88-97, 20.1 YPC); 16 of the 22 ahead of him played their careers pre-1983.

DrRockit
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2012 at 06:37 »

The more I think about it I think there's no way they pay him.  We need help pretty much everywhere but wide receiver.  I don't really follow draft issues, but what are the chances of getting a serviceable o-line guy late in the first round?  I'd take that in a heartbeat.  I like Wallace, but it's not like he's Jerry Rice.

Regarding his production this season: double coverage, an o-line in shambles, and a gimpy QB does not make for a great deep game.  Quite simply, Ben didn't look good throwing the ball the second half of the season.

It's also interesting that he put up these great numbers on what were really pretty mediocre offenses overall.  I'm not sure if that speaks for or against him.

Honestly, I think a finesse/yards after the catch guy fits our offense better than the speedy deep threat.  It was nice to see long bombs again, but I think he's outta here.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2012 at 10:33 »

The deal's getting done.  I'm moving my odds from 63/37 to 70/30.  The FO said it was their top off-season priority, they continue to get restructuring done, we've got Wallace talking to the media about going to other teams (posturing for leverage), and this deal will get done before 3/5.

I'm going to say it's wrapped up on 3/1, 5 years @ $38M, $8.5 guaranteed.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2012 at 10:35 »

I can't wait to see what Haley does with this WR corps.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: