Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 22, 2014 at 15:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallace Gone?  (Read 8563 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #100 on: Apr 23, 2012 at 08:47 »

Yeah, "league sources".

... Mike Wallace is prepared to sit out offseason drills and at least the start of training camp, according to league sources.

Be careful, Mikey. 

Wallace has until June 15 to sign it before the Steelers can cut the tender to $577,500 -- a loss of $2.1 million.
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2012 at 08:49 by jonzr » Logged

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #101 on: Apr 23, 2012 at 08:58 »

So if he plays for the 2.7 mil this year and does not reach a long term deal, does that make him an UFA after this year and if so can we use the franchise tag. Would we be compensated in the draft if he signs somewhere else after this year?

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #102 on: Apr 23, 2012 at 09:01 »

If he plays and becomes a UFA then he's completely free.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #103 on: Apr 23, 2012 at 09:21 »

If he plays and becomes a UFA then he's completely free.

Might get a compensatory (or something like that) pick for him if he leaves as an UFA. We would get compensation if he was franchised, but if he's bitching and moaning about the RFA tender this year, he'd probably bitch and moan even more about being franchised next year.

Plus, I believe the compensation for another team signing your franchise player is 2 first round picks and all the other teams showed that they were not willing to give up 1 this year. Unless he does show up and shows that he can be a complete WR, no team will be willing to give up 2 next year. I'm not even sure he would be worth franchising if they can't sign him long term. Think that would be an average of the 5 highest paid WRs next year, and he's not even close to a top 5 WR (though he is the top deep threat).

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #104 on: Apr 23, 2012 at 11:15 »

What was I thinking?  Yeah, kluisi is right.  And I don't think they'd franchise him either.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #105 on: Apr 23, 2012 at 14:47 »

I love the fact that he is pissed and thinks he is worth big money.

That means he will have to have a MONSTER year to get the kind of deal that he believes he deserves. That's great motivation.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #106 on: Apr 23, 2012 at 14:49 »

I love the fact that he is pissed and thinks he is worth big money.

That means he will have to have a MONSTER year to get the kind of deal that he believes he deserves. That's great motivation.

Eh, maybe.  Didn't exactly work out that way with Plaximo.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #107 on: Apr 23, 2012 at 17:14 »

I always thought there was something was amiss when he referred to himself as FastMoney....let him go, we'll be fine.  It took us oh about 3 weeks to adjust to losing Sanantonio SB MVP    old

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #108 on: Apr 24, 2012 at 12:28 »

Like I said, if they can't close a long term deal before the draft, they should see if any teams would be willing to trade draft picks and work out a deal in advance.  Colts could get Luck another weapon on a team that's lost Garcon and has an aging star in Reggie Wayne.  I'd take their high R2, or even flip R2 and R3 picks with 'em. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #109 on: Jul 30, 2012 at 14:57 »

Just bumping this old thread to try to keep most of the Wallace talk in one place.

Looking back, I had forgotten that Pittsburgh had the option to reduce Wallace's 2 mil and change tender to a little over 500K (110% of prior year's salary) if he didn't sign by June 15.  I do vaguely remember reading that Pittsburgh claimed to have no intention of doing that. 

I wonder if they are regretting that decision.  I also wonder if they could still do that if they chose to really play hardball and go that route.

He's gotta see that they hold all the cards here.  Sign the fuckin' tender and try to work out a deal, Broseph.  You're just cutting off yer nose to spite your face.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 ... 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: