Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 01, 2014 at 07:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finny's round 1 targets in the 2012 draft  (Read 1975 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Feb 29, 2012 at 13:16 »

Finny’s Round One Targets

1.   NT Dontari Poe, Memphis, (22nd), 6’4”, 346#, 4.98, 44 reps, 83.25 KEI.  

Most draft gurus are scrambling to send Poe up to the top 15 or even top 10 of their draft boards, where Poe could well be taken based on an amazing combine performance.  And there may be some team willing to bet on his upside higher than where the Steelers draft, but Poe started 30 games against weak LOC and didn’t necessarily dominate so much as flash potential.  In other words, he’s the boom-or-bust kind of guy the Steelers don’t usually go for.  But he is only 22, he puts in the time lifting, and other teams isolated him on the line because there wasn’t a lot of talent around him.  His upside as a NT is much higher than any other NT’s in years, and NT anchors the Steelers 3-4.  I’d be willing to pull the trigger, but only if he fell to us.

2.   SS Mark Barron, Alabama, (31st), 6’1”, 213#.  

Speaking of falling to us.  Mark Barron is the top-rated safety, a big, heads-up player who can man either safety spot, and comes from a Bama defense that’s full of future pros.  Steelers could stand to groom a future starter, and meanwhile need a guy who is capable of filling in when Troy is dinged or the team goes to Denver.  Like Heath Miller before him, Barron is falling because he’s recovering from surgery due to a hernia.  He’s got top-15 talent, but could slide since he’s not working out in Indy and may not be ready to do much at his pro day.  If he fell to 1.24, it would be a gift to the Steelers.

3.   ILB Don’t’a Hightower, Alabama, (29th), 6’2”, 265#, 4.68.  

There’s a lot to like about Hightower, and right now I’d say he’s the most likely pick at 1.24, but I do have a few minor reservations.  On the plus side, he’s got thumper size – about 45# more on his frame than Farrior and Foote carry – and that would be a nice way to greet running backs trying to get yards up the middle.  He’s also got the smarts to set the defense, something I’m not convinced Timmons will ever do.  Hightower’s a leader.  He can also line up outside occasionally, and LeBeau has to like that versatility.  On the downside, he still seems to be holding back somewhat since a torn ACL in 2009.  Some of his tape seemed to show a guy leaving plays on the field.  I’m confident LeBeau can coax the potential out of this guy, seems like a great fit beside Timmons.

4.   OG/RT Cordy Glenn, Georgia, (23rd), 6’5”, 345#, 5.15, 31 reps, 62 KEI

Some folks are down on Glenn for reasons I’m not seeing right now.  He had 4 starts at LT in 2009, but obviously appears better suited inside.  And in fact, at his size a 5.15 40 is pretty damned impressive, and he’s got the strength and arm length (35 ¾”) to be extremely effective inside or even at RT.  I think he’s a plug-and-play pro year one.

5.   OG Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin, (41st), 6’4”, 314#, 5.39, 32 reps, 69.5 KEI

A highly touted guard out of the Wisconsin program, Zeitler has plenty of good film.  A little smaller than Glenn, and not as fast.  Had some struggles against DE Kendall Reyes at the Senior Bowl, but appears to be a solid starter in the league.

6.   OG/RT Kelechi Osemele, Iowa St., (38th), 6’6”, 336#, 5.36, 32 reps, 67 KEI

Another big-bodied OG/RT type, but bigger than the slow-assed rhinos on our roster, and somewhat faster, too.  Long (35 7/8”) arms, good strength and explosiveness, questions about LOC and football smarts push him down somewhat, but could dominate inside if he can get his head around the pro game.

7.   C/OG Peter Konz, Wisconsin St., (28th), 6’5”, 314#, 18 reps.

Liked Konz before the combine, as the top-rated center.  Imagine having an improved backup to Pouncey and a guy who could man an OG spot, sort of a Legursky-plus.  But seriously, 18 reps?  No run?  Again, Wisconsin turns out good offensive linemen and Konz has plenty of good tape, but dropping him on my first round board off a very weak showing.

8.   TE Orson Charles, Georgia, (58th), 6’2”, 251#, 35 reps.

The wild card.  Hear me out, bishes.  Between Charles, Coby Fleener, and Dwayne Allen, there’s no top consensus TE, although Mayock’s had Charles on top of his TE ratings.  He’s more Aaron Hernandez than Rob Gronkowski, but I think he could be an amazing fit in Haley’s offense.  First of all, consider him less of a TE than a tough, nice-sized slot receiver not afraid to go over the middle, move the chains, and take the tough hit.  Does that sound like any other receiver from Georgia we may be aware of?  Ben misses that possession guy with Ward’s role diminished, but Charles is also a strong, tough blocker who could pave the way with the running game or stand in against the pass rush.  So he’s sort of like a poor man’s Ward, plus a fullback, plus an extra lineman.  When I put it like that it doesn’t sound so crazy.  Went from late R1 to late R2 because he didn’t run at Indy.  

9.   CB Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina, (39th), 6’0”, 190#, 4.40, 36” VJ.

Steelers have a bunch of young talent bubbling up at corner, but that’s not to say they couldn’t look at someone late R1 anyway.  Ike won’t last forever, and no one’s claimed the other starting spot with authority.  Gilmore has the size and speed to be a starter, and has been consistently productive since his freshman year, starting all games as a freshman.  In 2011 he was first-team SEC, and finished with eight career INTs over three seasons.  Plays off-man similar to LeBeau’s system and is big in run support.  Hard worker who puts in time in the film room.  Dark horse pick but one I’m sure LeBeau has his eye on.

10.   OT Mike Adams, Ohio St., (33rd), 6’7”, 323#, 5.40, 19 reps, 56 KEI

Solid LT at the collegiate level and may have the potential to be a LT in the pros, which is why he was on my top ten list.  But his lazy ass is about to fall right off this list.  I’m not so much concerned that he was in the Buckeyes’ little tattoo scandal so much as I’m concerned about a big guy like this putting up 19 reps and a supposed LT running a sluggish 5.40.  That to me says that, despite some decent Big 10 film, Adams is essentially a lazy turd flirting with DND.  I’ll give him one more look, since we always need a true LT, but at best he seems like an under-achieving future RT only.
« Last Edit: Feb 29, 2012 at 13:24 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 29, 2012 at 14:53 »

Didn't Poe play in a 3-4 in college, too?  I think that sort of mitigates against the only second-team all conference in C-USA argument I've been reading on other boards.  A 3-4 noseguy is rarely chosen for all-anything at any level.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Feb 29, 2012 at 15:04 »

If BArron were there it would be tough to not take him even if Big Ugly seems to be a more pressing need.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 29, 2012 at 15:22 »

Didn't Poe play in a 3-4 in college, too?  I think that sort of mitigates against the only second-team all conference in C-USA argument I've been reading on other boards.  A 3-4 noseguy is rarely chosen for all-anything at any level.

They did, and a good argument about Poe's stat sheet is, well, take a look at Casey's stat sheet some time.

Another argument is that he takes plays off.  Like all the fat boys in the middle don't loaf a few.

I came to Poe rather sceptically, but the more I look at him the more I like him.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 29, 2012 at 15:24 »

If BArron were there it would be tough to not take him even if Big Ugly seems to be a more pressing need.

I know, if Poe and Barron were there it would be a SOB of a choice.  I'm going Poe by an edge because I think Poe : Ngata is closer than Barron : Polamalu.  But who the F knows.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #5 on: Feb 29, 2012 at 15:27 »

Yeah, with both of 'em there I'd take Poe.  If you don't have a solid NT it probably won't matter if your safety is all world.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Feb 29, 2012 at 15:55 »

Honestly, beyond your first three, maybe first four, I'm not all that thrilled with any of 'em.

Couple other names to throw into the R1 mix might be Michael Brockers (DT, LSU) and Nick Perry (OLB, USC).

Brockers doesn't appear to fit the traditional 3-4 NT, but he's young, a big mofo (6' 6", 306#) and could easily pack on another 20# to become a beast in the middle.

Perry is another...OLB.  Yeah, I know, I know...Pittsburgh favors OLBs in the draft like New England salivates over TEs.  Thing is, the dude reminds me of Woodley.  Monster edge rusher, tweener DE in college.  This guy knows how to get to the quarterback.  If #1-4 are off the board, a trade down isn't possible and he's sittin' there, I can't say I'd be all that upset if they went LB early...again.

I also think there should be a CB or two worth considering as well since that position is so damn expensive in FA.  You can never have too many good corners.  Haven't looked at any and wouldn't even know where to start though.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #7 on: Feb 29, 2012 at 16:41 »

Solid LT at the collegiate level and may have the potential to be a LT in the pros, which is why he was on my top ten list.  But his lazy ass is about to fall right off this list.  I’m not so much concerned that he was in the Buckeyes’ little tattoo scandal so much as I’m concerned about a big guy like this putting up 19 reps and a supposed LT running a sluggish 5.40.  That to me says that, despite some decent Big 10 film, Adams is essentially a lazy turd flirting with DND.  I’ll give him one more look, since we always need a true LT, but at best he seems like an under-achieving future RT only.

WOW.

Suspended for receiving improper benefits + Arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia (but it was only tobacco?) + Coming off knee injury + 19 Reps at 225lb ...

And then the Ohio State pedigree, which, outside of Stonio Holmes and Nick Mangold, has not translated all that well to the NFL...

Pass
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Feb 29, 2012 at 16:46 »

WOW.

Suspended for receiving improper benefits + Arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia (but it was only tobacco?) + Coming off knee injury + 19 Reps at 225lb ...

And then the Ohio State pedigree, which, outside of Stonio Holmes and Nick Mangold, has not translated all that well to the NFL...

Pass

Yeah, like I said, he's basically DND, but I figured he might be worth a second look.

Upon review, not so much.

Hope you're wrong WRT to OSU/Heyward.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Feb 29, 2012 at 18:06 »

WOW.

Pass

Yeah, like I said, he's basically DND, but I figured he might be worth a second look.

Upon review, not so much.

Hope you're wrong WRT to OSU/Heyward.

And Troy Smith!

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: