Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 31, 2014 at 03:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cutting Hines is not Right  (Read 370 times)
koehla
No longer a N00b!

« on: Feb 29, 2012 at 20:01 »

I can't believe that it would not be worth it to have Hines back at the vet minimum.  I recognize that his production was way down last year, but his leadership and hustle and work ethic are still strong, and he is a real leader in the locker room.  He is arguably the greatest Steelers receiver ever, and I thought that the Steelers organization had more class than this.  Offer him a Bettis-style deal and let him make one more Super Bowl run as a Steeler.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 29, 2012 at 20:07 »

Bettis still had something to offer right up to the end-- he could punch it in from short yardage.  I'm afraid it's not the same for same Ward; he can't get the separation in close (or in the middle of the field, for that matter) to make the roster space worth while.  4th receivers are routinely asked to take on some special teams duty, and it's that much higher a priority if we are going to begin to phase AB out of that aspect of the game, or at least use him more specifically on returns.  That's inevitable, too.

Of course emotions are high; I was a child when I watched Franco in a Seahawks uniform, and Webster in a Chiefs'.  I remember feeling that something was not right.  Now I realize, it's the nature of the beast.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2012 at 06:47 »

Let's just hope Hines doesn't get to prove he's got something left in a Patriot or Raven uniform.

I fear that somewhere, Ray Lewis is blowing up Hines' celly.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2012 at 09:52 »

He got 86'd!!!

sorry   helmet

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2012 at 13:19 »

He got 86'd!!!

+1

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2012 at 13:58 »

Saves us, what, $8M?

That's about the magic number we'll need to keep Wallace.  Quid pro quo.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2012 at 14:32 »

Part of me agrees with this.  I believe Hines' 2011-2012 numbers are NOT indicative of what he could bring to a team in 2012-2013.  Everyone here agrees, BA's offense was ill-advised and did not consistently utilize certain players in the correct ways; look no further than someone like Health Miller, who is somewhat analogous to the elder version of HW.  Doesn't everyone agree Miller's 2012-2013 campaign has the potential to be his best?  I do not think Arians utilized HW correctly, which, given some deterioration in his skills set (however, slight or large), really compounded HW's drop off stats-wise.  Also, whether it was a product of his age, Ward missed roughly 2 games which does not help.

Assuming Hines Ward is willing to sign somewhere at or around the vet minimum, I do think that team will be getting a player having legitimate value.  Of course this assumes they figure out how to use HW correctly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: