Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 23, 2014 at 17:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Twisted's First  (Read 637 times)
TwistedLemon

« on: Feb 29, 2012 at 21:07 »

As I do each year, I have my first Mock of the season that I place for the enjoyment of watching Finny and others rip it apart.  At this point, I am only listing one pick per round through 7.  I am posting a few descriptions as I found from the CBS player profiles, with my own $0.02, which is sometimes overpriced at best.

1.  OG/OT Kelechi Osemelo, Iowa St, 6'6, 333:  Couple of reasons here.  I project that the value of LB and S will be gone for this pick.  Hard telling what will and will not be there for the line.  I am placing him over the G/C combos simply because I think we get more value from the G/T side of things as our ?'s are more in those areas than they are at C.
From CBS:  Osemele's mean disposition on the field will probably cause most teams to project him inside at the next level. Teams using a power-blocking scheme, however, may select him very high in the draft to play tackle, thinking they can coach him up on pass protection technique to improve his ability to stay with NFL speed rushers.
"Nasty" "mean" was used a few times.  I like nasty and mean

2.  DT  Josh Chapman, Alabama, 6'1, 310:  Completely Pending Medical Review from ACL Repair.  Poor review will completely change this entire mock, or potentially just slide Mike Martin (DT Michigan 6'1, 307)into this spot

3.  FS Markell Martin, Oklahoma St, 6'1, 207:  Would be a steal if he was available here.  Projected as a 3rd rounder, but due to versatility to play either safety spot could go earlier, from CBS:  Though OSU coaches list Martin as a strong safety on the depth chart, his combination of ball skills, closing speed and willingness to make the big hit make him one of the more versatile safeties in the class

4.  RB, Robert Turbin, Utah St, 5'10, 222:  From CBS:  Possesses good burst to and through the hole. A patient runner with good vision and burst for the cutback. Squares his shoulders and can knock the defender back onto his heels. Good leg drive and forward lean to gain extra yardage after contact. Shows a surprising burst to beat linebackers to the edge. Can plant his foot in the ground and explode, showing better straight-line speed than you'd expect for a back of his size. Shows good hands and concentration as a receiver. Looks natural catching the ball. Cognizant and physical pass blocker who will square up the hard-charging linebacker in the hole to buy his quarterback time. Possesses a short, squatty frame conducive to tough inside running. Dedication to the weight room is obvious based on an upper body build as impressive as any running back in the country (with the possible exception of Alabama's Trent Richardson)

5.  ILB  Audie Cole, NC St, 6'4, 246:  Not sure what, but something about this kid I like.  IF he were to be gone, slide my round 6 into this spot and then in round 6 take Najee Goode, ILB WVU (6'0, 244)

6.  OG/OT  Ryan Miller, Colorado, 6'7, 321:  Versatile player with experience at right tackle and guard. Works hard in the weight room and practice field.  Possible round 5, in which case pull ILB from WVU Najee Goode in this round

7.  This has been a rough spot for me.  Considered a SS (perhaps Guy from Kentucky, or Richardson from Vanderbilt)  Both of them are listed as SS.  Thought about QB (Witt from Yale, or Corp from Richmond.....Really like the sound of Corp, especially for a 7th, but seems he resembles Glass Joe from the former boxing video game as far as durability is concerned),  Perhaps a C/G such as William Vlachos who would go alot higher if he had 3 more inches on him, but wasn't Webster too small for the position?.....or maybe a WR, pick any of an ass-load of them.  Of this list, I am taking in order:  C/G  Vlachos, QB Corp, SS Richardson......only 28 WRs were drafted last season.  At this point in the draft, start calling them for the UDFA roster

Go ahead and rip it up Finny

"My reality check bounced"
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2012 at 08:14 »

I like the idea of helping the line - either DL or OL - with the first pick.  Both are areas of need and if the BAA is Osemelo then go for it.  Love the mean and nasty description, too.  As for the rest, they all address shortcomings on the roster, sounds good.  And now, the experts.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2012 at 08:40 »

Not a big Audie Cole fan, but mostly like it.  Your R1 guy is on my list, mid-rank.  Like Chapman, if he checks.  Like Martin.  Turbin could be a good fit, still looking at him.  Late rounders still sorting through.

Addresses needs, though I think it gives short shrift to ILB unless we have a potential solution already on roster.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
TwistedLemon

« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2012 at 18:36 »

Yeah.  I did short the ILB position a bit.  I actually think I might like the Goode thought at ILB better than Cole, but tried to curb my WVU bias.  On the plus (for Goode in the 6th) is her is a worker.  Walkon player who worked his way into a starter.  Was Defensive Capt his Sr year, then selected at Defensive Capt at the East West Shrine game.  A bit short at 6'0.  Solid tackler, although does overpursue at times.  Nose for the ball.  Of course that same bias made it difficult for me not to find a way to slide Bruce Irvin in at OLB.  In the end, I focused more on the O-Line, and a plug in the middle of the D line.  Versatility of round 3 Martin at S led me to see him as better value than LB (which we always seem to pull out of our asses).  By shoring (hopefully) up the O-Line, making the D Line young, and tossing in the versitile Safety forces us to go with what we have at LB for the moment, then making it a focal point next season.  Cant fix everything at once

"My reality check bounced"
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2012 at 08:33 »

You know, the perception is that the Steelers find guys late and make them into great players.  But the fact is, they don't skimp on the front 7 of the defense.  Hampton, Heywood, Hood, Timmons are all 1st rounders, even the free agent Farrior.  Woodley was a 2nd and we know Harrison was a UDFA.  Of the 4 dbs, only Polamalu was a 1st.  The Day 2 (I guess that's Day 3 now) or later player who breaks into the starting lineup while not a rarity is something of a pleasant surprise.  Even the OL has gotten some attention lately with a R1 and R2 the past two seasons.  Probably another one of those this season.

Man, it's gonna be interesting to see what they do this year.
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2012 at 08:35 by jonzr » Logged

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: