Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 26, 2014 at 12:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aaron Smith cut... Farrior next?  (Read 1999 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2012 at 11:39 »

While they're at it, cut Mendenhall too.

Why carry a 3 and a half million cap charge on a RB that will miss between a third to half the season in the final year of his contract?  Plus, players always take another year to recover from that kind of injury.  He's not getting another contract from them so why not just part ways now and save a few extra million?  They could probably sign a decent, FA stopgap RB replacement for what they would net in savings from that move.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2012 at 12:00 »

2011 opening day starters Cut, or going to be cut

Ward
Farrior
Foote
Smith - (IR)
Hampton
Kemoeatu

Thats alot of leadership gone...

ILB, DL and OL.

Sounds 'bout right.  What many here have been saying for awhile.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2012 at 12:01 »

True Brinker, but there are still plenty of veterans around on both sides of the ball, new ones in the making.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2012 at 12:45 »

Why carry a 3 and a half million cap charge on a RB that will miss between a third to half the season in the final year of his contract?  Plus, players always take another year to recover from that kind of injury.  He's not getting another contract from them so why not just part ways now and save a few extra million?  They could probably sign a decent, FA stopgap RB replacement for what they would net in savings from that move.

I think most of his money is guaranteed money.  Savings would only be salary, which is rook money and minimal.  Might as well keep.  After that, dunno.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2012 at 13:39 »

I think most of his money is guaranteed money.  Savings would only be salary, which is rook money and minimal.  Might as well keep.  After that, dunno.

Thought I read somewhere that his salary was in the 1.5-2MIL range.  If that's the case, it's a no brainer.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2012 at 14:38 »

Thought I read somewhere that his salary was in the 1.5-2MIL range.  If that's the case, it's a no brainer.

No.  $650K salary, that would be our cap savings if cut.  We keep, hardball into C$2 if nothing better arrives via draft; if we do draft, someone will pick him up and we'll get a comp.  So figure that into what we drop on a RB, say, a R2 - 2013 R3 (comp).

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2012 at 16:33 »

No.  $650K salary, that would be our cap savings if cut.  We keep, hardball into C$2 if nothing better arrives via draft; if we do draft, someone will pick him up and we'll get a comp.  So figure that into what we drop on a RB, say, a R2 - 2013 R3 (comp).

Shit, if it's just 650K, then I guess consider it a cheap insurance policy for the latter half of the year.  Although, I highly doubt he'll be at all useful in 2012.

The dude at Steelers Depot has his 2012 base around what I mentioned so I guess it boils down to which numbers are right.

P4P
Hillbilly Deluxe
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2012 at 02:00 »

Why not Harrison?  He is no spring chicken and his salary is considerable.  Or trade the shit outta him.  Hell, if you are gunna go for it, then dammit...GO FOR IT!

Honesty is something you can't wear out.
Waylon Jennings
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2012 at 07:57 »

Why not Harrison?  He is no spring chicken and his salary is considerable.  Or trade the shit outta him.  Hell, if you are gunna go for it, then dammit...GO FOR IT!

Ummmmmmm, no.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2012 at 08:05 »

Shit, if it's just 650K, then I guess consider it a cheap insurance policy for the latter half of the year.  Although, I highly doubt he'll be at all useful in 2012.

The dude at Steelers Depot has his 2012 base around what I mentioned so I guess it boils down to which numbers are right.

Not sure what you're looking at aj, but that link at SD shows Mendy's got a base of $613,000.  That would be how much we'd save if we cut him, i.e., pittance.  His "cap charge" is $1,883,000, which would appear to be salary + guaranteed bonus.  We don't save $1.8M by cutting, in other words.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: