Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 26, 2014 at 03:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which is the bigger damned deal, Bountygate or Spygate?
Bountygate:  it goes against all the player protection measures Goodell has instituted - 1 (8.3%)
Spygate: changed the outcome of games and created a false legacy for coach and team - 11 (91.7%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bountygate or Spygate?  (Read 1556 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Mar 05, 2012 at 13:56 »

Answer the fucking poll question, or the midget hookers I've had doing video surveillance of your house will come around and fucking kneecap ya.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2012 at 14:27 »

Much-a-fuckin'-do-about-nuttin.

IMO.

Jarret Johnson has a bad short term memory and is one of the last people that should be weighing in on the topic.

Bounty on Hines Ward?

Bounty on Mendenhall?

Both very public, but nobody gave a flying fuck.

Sad thing is, everybody knows it's a part of the game, but because somebody decided to run their piehole about it, Goodell gets to play Hitler again.
Before you know it, colleges will stop putting stickers on players' helmets too.

Can we just stop with the pussification of the league already?  Please?  I'm really tired of it.  It's a goddamned contact sport.  You can't legislate the violence out of the game.  In fact, it's one of the reasons why so many people watch.

I laugh when I hear other parents talk about not letting their kids play football.  My response is usually something like, "Why?  By the time 'lil Johnny is old enough to play pro ball, it'll be a two hand touch league, anyway."

Edit:  Ryan Clark gets it.
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2012 at 14:33 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2012 at 21:49 »

I cannot imagine the punishment coming had the Steelers been the team implicated in issuing these bounties. Goddell would probably nuke the stadium for starters.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2012 at 00:31 »

My sources tell me that Goodell is planning to fine James Harrison for this latest incident.

I don't think it's a good thing, considering that the coaching staff initiated it and kept it going (a bad way to coach, IMO).  But I'm on the verge of puking over all this "righteous indignation" by the fans about it.  Honestly, are fans naive enough to think this hasn't gone on for YEARS? 

Biggest difference is that it seems the players usually initiate it, not the official reps of the organization. A move by one of the pawns is quite different than one by the king/queen.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2012 at 11:10 »

I don't think it's a good thing, considering that the coaching staff initiated it and kept it going (a bad way to coach, IMO).  But I'm on the verge of puking over all this "righteous indignation" by the fans about it.  Honestly, are fans naive enough to think this hasn't gone on for YEARS? 

Biggest difference is that it seems the players usually initiate it, not the official reps of the organization. A move by one of the pawns is quite different than one by the king/queen.

Terrell Suggs went on a nationally broadcast radio show and essentially bragged about the bounty that the Ravens had on Mendenhall when Ray Ray broke his collar bone in '08 (totally legal hit, BTW).  All the league did at the time was look the other way.

The only time I'd say I have a (big) problem with it is if a coach offers a bounty to do something illegal.  If somebody is telling a player to "sweep the leg, Johnny!" that's taking it over the top.  Offering a bounty, reward, incentive, prize, trophy...whatever the hell you want to call it, for a pick, fumble, TD, big tackle or huge hit knocking somebody out of the game is fine by me as long as it's done by the rules.  They're just doing what they're paid to do in the first place.  It's similar to player contract incentives...just on a smaller, specific level.  Again, as long as it's done by the rules.

C'mon, it's a barbaric game.  The problem is that the league (and to an extent, the fans) likes to pretend that it's not.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2012 at 19:31 »

C'mon, it's a barbaric game.  The problem is that the league (and to an extent, the fans) likes to pretend that it's not.

#truth

Football is a semi-sanitized version of the gladiators and the Roman Coliseum.  Only difference is that death is a rare occurrence.  League isn't opposed to it and they don't care (at least not that much) about the players.  They care that nothing interferes with their profit margins.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2012 at 23:53 »

This has been going on for a long time.  Remember the GB towel with the Bears numbers on it from the mid 80's?  McMahon was on the top, and got bodyslammed after a play was over.

Problem here is that it apparently came from higher up, and they got caught. 

James, please keep your mouth shut while this goes on...
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2012 at 06:39 »

Bengals players can earn Honey Buns for big hits.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2012 at 08:21 »

You calling James a fool?  James takes out bounties on fools, fool.  Then James collects that bounty.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2012 at 08:31 »

You calling James a fool?  James takes out bounties on fools, fool.  Then James collects that bounty.

James call it "movin' money from one pocket to another."  James call it "weedin' out fools."  James call it "anger management."

Don't ask what James call a motherfucker who call him short.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: