Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 31, 2014 at 10:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hines Ward news conference  (Read 1291 times)
Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« on: Mar 20, 2012 at 08:33 »

According to PFT a news conference has been called for the steelers to announce that Hines is retiring.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2012 at 08:35 »

I'm glad he's retiring a Steeler, one of the all-time greats.  Perhaps the lack of interest in FA lent some perspective and helped him to the decision.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2012 at 09:21 »

HOF.

One of the greatest Stillers ever, no doubt.

:jawbreaker:

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2012 at 09:24 »

*whew*

Couldn't stand the thought of seeing him in another uniform.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2012 at 10:15 »

Hines Ward-Ultimate Career Highlights
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2012 at 17:50 »

I wouldn't call that "ultimate" career highlights.  No one-shoed gallop through the Falcons secondary, no hit on Rivers.  I'd give it 3 Proberts out of 5.

On the other hand, from 1.30 to 1.35 of the clip you can see the entirety of Tommy Maddox' career highlights.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2012 at 18:14 »

I wouldn't call that "ultimate" career highlights.  No one-shoed gallop through the Falcons secondary, no hit on Rivers.  I'd give it 3 Proberts out of 5.

On the other hand, from 1.30 to 1.35 of the clip you can see the entirety of Tommy Maddox' career highlights.

Funny, just posted a short on Facebook and the one-shoe and the hit on Rivers were the two quick highlights that came to mind...

Hines Ward retires 18th in receiving yards (12,083) from 1998-2011, with one Super Bowl MVP (XL) and 4-time Pro-Bowler. Unlike "elite" receivers of his era who played in offense-friendly systems, Ward had QBs like Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomczak, Kent freakin' Graham, and Tommy Maddox throwing him the pigskin the first half (6 years) of his career. And even with Big Ben throwing the ball, the Steelers were largely a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" team until recently.

Compare to Randy Moss (14,858, with Vikings, Raiders, Patriots, Titans, 49ers, 1998-2010, 2012-; and Terrell Owens, 15, 934, with 49ers, Eagles, Cowboys, Bills, and Bengals, 1996-2010). Those guys put up more yardage, but in context of what Ward had to work with he fought tooth and nail for every yard he got, unlike his fellow prima donnas. He was also THE premier blocking back possibly ever.

Favorite moments: Hines outruns Falcon DeAngelo Hall for a 74-yard TD... with one shoe. And Hines breaks Bengals LB Keith River's jaw on a legal run block. My image of Hines is him taking a nasty hit and jumping up smiling, making the first down motion, because he got the tough yardage when push came to shove.

VaBchSteelersfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2012 at 18:14 »

I'm glad he's retiring a Steeler, one of the all-time greats.  Perhaps the lack of interest in FA lent some perspective and helped him to the decision.

I truly think that in this social media age, the desire of the fans to see Hines retire a Steeler played a much bigger factor. He went out as the ultimate class act.   tt02

Otis, keep that avatar, it's one of my favorite Hines pics!

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2012 at 20:10 »

I think there's a hint of the Rivers hit at 1:07

You'd also need a few of Hines fighting his way into the EZ when contact came between the 5 & 10.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2012 at 20:49 »

I think there's a hint of the Rivers hit at 1:07

You'd also need a few of Hines fighting his way into the EZ when contact came between the 5 & 10.

True dat.  Smell of blood.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: