Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 01, 2014 at 16:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steelers Fantasy Camp  (Read 2184 times)
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Mar 21, 2012 at 19:49 »

Anyone ever been to the June fantasy camp?

My wife suggested I go. 

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2012 at 13:01 »

Well I am going.  Singed up today.  Will let you guys know if it is worthwhile

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2012 at 14:28 »

Your wife suggested it, eh?

Has she suggested some solo weekend getaways too?

How long have you been married? About 7 years?

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2012 at 15:08 »

Have a good time!  I have you right at the top of my fantasy fantasy draft board.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2012 at 15:20 »

Have a good time!  I have you right at the top of my fantasy fantasy draft board.

Pffffff.  He ain't lose the left nut fast.

I'd go, but being a head on a freakin' pillow, I'd probably get assigned to field goal duty.  Kinda fun flying through the air.  Kinda sucks when you land.  Been there, done that.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2012 at 20:01 »

Pffffff.  He ain't lose the left nut fast.

I'd go, but being a head on a freakin' pillow, I'd probably get assigned to field goal duty.  Kinda fun flying through the air.  Kinda sucks when you land.  Been there, done that.

Yeah, but just remember how good it feels to get inflated.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2012 at 21:28 »

That's awesome, Scac. Hey there are some open spots this year with all the salary cap-related releases! Good luck, dude.

Haha. Gettin' Inflated sounds like a Ghostface song title. Either way, lots of fun.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2012 at 21:55 »

Your wife suggested it, eh?

Has she suggested some solo weekend getaways too?

How long have you been married? About 7 years?

Hmmmm

Part of the program is they provide a replica jersey.  I thought I could put any name or number on the jersey but they said no to retired players.  I already have a Faneca and figured I would get a #64 Hartings but no dice. 

Greg Lloyd will be there...

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2012 at 08:12 »

Greg Lloyd will be there...

Sweet!

Hope you had a good report card.

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jun 03, 2012 at 09:33 »

What an awesome experience (ends today at 130p)...just taking a break

Greg Lloyd is still angry.  I guess Levon Kirkland said something recently to the effect of Greg talked too much in the huddle.  Lloyd was asked about it at last night's dinner and said he wasn't going to respond but then talked about how he recalled a time when Kirkland was the signal caller and Lloyd was the captain.  The coaches called in a play that never worked, according to Lloyd.  Lloyd instructed the other defensive players to not run the play.  He said it gave up 25+ yards every time they ran it.  Kirland would continue to relay the play call in to the huddle from the sideline.  Lloyd and Kirkland eventually had it out with Lloyd saying something to the effect of "There is a difference between being the signal caller and the captain.  This is my team and they aren't going to run this stupid fucking play again, ever."  Lloyd was vinegar.  Great coach though.  He made one set of LBs/DBs sit in the middle of the field because they blew a play (they had an extra guy on the D side and still allowed a TD).  They were to sit there until the D replacements made an INT.  Lloyd broke out Cover 1, Cover 2, Cover 3 and Cover C for us, showing that many times it is the LB who is out of position when a WR catches a pass (rather than the DB's fault).  Lloyd talked about how stupid Ryan Mundy was on the last play in the Denver game (Mundy was close to the line and should have played much further back).  LB drills were with Lloyd and DB drills with Woodruff.  Eventually the two groups came together with some guys rotating to offense so we could run plays.  I played FS mostly.  Cover 1, high middle.  When we went to C2, I made a bad read on the WR breaking up the seam and let him get by me for a nice TD catch.  Woodruff started yelling at me.  I think I did what I've seen the players do when they get yelled at...just get back to the line to run the drill again.

Lloyd complained that he was invited to the camp via email and that there is only one person from the Steelers organization who calls him (I guess someone from the marketing dept).  He also complained that Woodson, Lake and a few others won't return his calls.  Dirt Dawson does though (as part of Lloyd's speech on Dawson at last night's dinner).

KVO was awesome.  As mellow as I would have expected.  He has a really bad limp though I don't know if it is a recent issue or something he's dealt with post-retirement.  He lives in Washington state, works construction development (he started working in this industry about 5 years prior to his retirement), and developes assisted living facilities in Kentucky.  Says he flies in to Cincinnati when traveling to Kentucky and that everytime he pulls his ID out at a counter or TSA line, someone gives him grief about the Palmer hit.  He didn't seem particularly remorseful about the hit but I suspect he feels/knows it was not intentional and, as such, feels no need for remorse.  He worked with me one-on-one with proper hand technique for a DL to get out of the clutches of a OL.  Lots of hand movement based on martial arts.  That and leverage.  He said he learned a really helpful technique 3 years prior to his retirement that used up/down movement on the OL's hands...he said he wished he had learned this years before.  He talked about how Aaron Smith was almost cut his rookie year.  Aaron worked his ass off to become the player he eventually was.  KVO says Smith is the best DL in the history of the game.  KVO said I had good footwork during the DL agility drills.  I don't think KVO follows the Steelers (and maybe football in general) much anymore.  He asked how the 2012 Steelers draft was and didn't know who Cam Heyward was from last year.  He did know that Smith was retired but I'm not sure if he knew that Hoke was retired.

Dermontti Dawson was so incredibly gracious and humble.  He didn't work the drills with us but did make himself available in the dorms.  I got to walk with him to breakfast Saturday morning.  He is living in San Diego.  He is so soft spoken for a guy his size.  He talked about how he almost requested a trade from the Steelers due to his position coach his rookie year.  Dirt had held out for two weeks for contract negotiations and missed the rookie minicamp.  The position coach (I'd have to look up to see who it was because Dirt wasn't sharing names) rode Dirt's ass all year long.  I guess during the offseason, that coach was let go and Dirt was happy to be a Steeler.  Dirt signed every single requested autograph.  I only wanted a photo with him and I got it.  Got autographs from Lloyd and KVO.

Stoudt, Grossman, Matt Bahr and others were there too.  Jack Butler was a speaker at yesterday's afternoon coaches corner.

Josh Miller was suppossed to be the kicker/punter instructor but he had a family emergency.  Matt Bahr was called in and was there Friday night but had a soccer event Saturday that he couldn't miss.  So Matt's brother, Chris, came in as a replacement.  Chris can still kick the heck out of the ball.  I was terrible with PK drills but did well with the punting drills.  Not great distance but really nice spin. 

I believe I will attend next year.  The dorms kind of suck and the food is what we all remember from high school or college.  But it is a lot of fun running the drills at SVC and the players were very available and shared a lot of stories.  Unlimited beer in the evenings.  Some guys went out to the bar after that (Sharkey's) but I went back to the dorms by 10p.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: